Roasted Strawberry Muffins
I’m sharing these roasted strawberry muffins with you in anticipation of strawberry season. There are just a few short weeks until it’s time to go strawberry picking, but in the meantime I had to try something new with all of the strawberries on sale in the grocery store. These roasted strawberry muffins were pretty easy to make, and definitely fun to eat! I normally don’t like baking with strawberries because they tend to make things so mushy, but roasting the strawberries first gets out a lot of their juice and makes them much easier to bake with. The end result was a delicious muffin with chunks of strawberries throughout – perfect for a nice Summer breakfast! And don”t skip the crunchy sugar topping – it’s my favorite part! 🙂
p.s. Looking for more strawberry recipes? Try this strawberry summer cake!
Roasted Strawberry Muffins
Yield: ~16 muffins
- 1 lb. strawberries, rinsed, hulled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup sugar, plus a pinch for roasting
- Milk, if needed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Coarse sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the berries out on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with a small amount of sugar and toss gently to mix. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the berries are tender and have released most of their juices, about 20-22 minutes. Using a colander, strain the berries, reserving the excess juices. Add enough milk to the reserved juice to make 6 tablespoons total of liquid.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350˚ F and line muffin pans with enough paper liners to make 16 muffins. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the reserved strawberry juice/milk, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir in the melted butter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin liners and sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until the muffins are set and a toothpick inserted in a center muffin comes out with moist crumbs, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool in the pans 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
from Annies Eats
Love the idea of roasting the strawberries first, because I always have the same hesitation baking with them. Gotta try these muffins!
I’m all over roasted strawberries so this is absolutely something I need in my life 🙂
I think this is gonna be happening soon!
I made these this past weekend from Annie’s Eats. They were delicious!
I live in Arkansas where our strawberry season is just about to end! It’s been a good one though. Guess I just need to head north! 🙂
i’ve never roasted berries before, but i think they sound amazing!
Love the idea of roasting the strawberries first!
Yum! I adore roasted strawberries 🙂 these muffins look amazing!
Pingback: 30 Blogs with Tips for Beginning Bakers on How to Make Your Own Bread | Housekeeping