Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits

I love biscuits. Soft, buttery, and flaky, it really doesn’t get much better than that. I’m not sure why I’ve never experimented with baking my own biscuits. Maybe it was that I didn’t own a biscuit cutter until about a week ago. Or maybe it’s because I don’t normally keep buttermilk stocked in the refrigerator. But really, I”m guessing the reason is that my husband absolutely loves bisquick biscuits. I just couldn’t face the possible disappointment of laboring over homemade biscuits only to hear that they didn’t live up to his favorite processed biscuit mix. It just didn’t seem worth it.

And then I saw these biscuits. (Well, not these exactly…the other version had blue cheese, which would never work in our house, but you get the idea.) And they looked incredible. And better yet, easy to make. Exactly what I wanted to eat for dinner that night. So I stopped at the store for the necessary ingredients and made them immediately. Wonderful. Cheesy, soft, and delicious. Mike wasn’t a fan of the scallions, but for the next batch (there will definitely be another batch), I’ll just make half with scallions and half without.

The defining moment was when I asked Mike how they compared to his beloved bisquick biscuits. *Pause*, then, “well, I really like bisquick biscuits.” Complete disappointment must have showed on my face, because he quickly recovered with “but I like these better.” And you know what? These are so easy, and so good, that I don’t even care if he’s lying. I’m making them again.

Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick or 3 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Blend in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and scallions. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.

Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet, or one lined with parchment paper. Bake on middle rack until golden, 16 to 20 minutes.

*You can also flash freeze the biscuits and bake them straight from the freezer. Just add a few minutes to the baking time.

adapted from Smitten Kitchen

19 Responses to “Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits”

Jessica @ How Sweet — May 27, 2010 @ 10:41 am

I have wanted to make cheddar biscuits forever. They look sooo good. I need to make them. I would prob eat the whole batch.

Simply Life — May 27, 2010 @ 11:39 am

yum! i love biscuits as well and these look great with added cheese and scallions!

Simply Life — May 27, 2010 @ 11:40 am

also, random question – was it hard to go to your own domain? Did all your followers, posts, etc stay the same or did you have to change a lot of things? Have you noticed a difference since before? I'm thinking about it and don't really know all the advantages/disadvantages so anything would be helpful! Thanks! :)

Anne Marie — May 27, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

Yummy!

Michelle — May 27, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Just an FYI… I've never owned a biscuit cutter. A clean can works very well. I use a can that used to hold chopped green chilies. Remove both ends, wash well, be sure the ends aren't too sharp. I use one for about a year or so before recycling it. It's not fancy. But it works…just in case you want to try some cut biscuits one of these days. :)

Amanda — May 27, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

What a stinker! (hubby) LOVE these and must make them asap!!

Cambriaaaa — May 27, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

Yum! I love biscuits, no matter homeade or our of a can. Delish!

Kelsey — May 27, 2010 @ 10:43 pm

i love the idea of freezing these! i always have those days when i make a soup and think "damn too late to make some biscuits to throw in the oven".. but if u make a big batch of these u could quickly heat one or two up to have with it. great idea! <3

Mike — May 28, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

Your blog has been recommended to us as an interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog Interviewer.

We'd like to give you the opportunity to give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can be submitted online here Submit your interview.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

Paula — May 28, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

First time to your blog. These biscuits look wonderful but I have to admit that your English Muffin bread has really tempted me. I saved the recipe and plan to make it very soon. I can already taste the butter and jam on it!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 29, 2010 @ 12:03 am

These look great! I am a biscuit fanatic, so I'll have to give them a try.

Chef Dennis — May 29, 2010 @ 2:23 am

those biscuits look so very very tasty….could use a few right now!

Romantic bed and breakfasts — June 17, 2010 @ 6:36 am

These are all the very great,sumptuous and creative recipes of different cakes,cookies and biscuits which are all too fantabulous for sure.

longchamps handbags online — October 22, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits | What Megan’s Making
    longchamps handbags online http://www.crush29.com/longchamp-handbags/longchamps-handbags-online.html

longchamp overnight bag — October 22, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits | What Megan’s Making
    longchamp overnight bag http://www.cerisefinecatering.com/longchamp-outlets/longchamp-overnight-bag.html

furla borse — November 28, 2013 @ 11:16 pm

Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits | What Megan’s Making
    furla borse http://www.skipperrestaurant.com/furla-borse/furla-outlet-stores.html

discount ugg clogs 183580 — December 3, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

ugg outlet
    discount ugg clogs 183580 http://www.xinjbdfyy.com/?p=discount-ugg-clogs-183580.html

http://Ota4.me/Seventhdayadventist23041 — June 20, 2014 @ 3:07 am

These are in fact enormous ideas in about blogging.
    You have touched some good things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

distributed health lab — June 25, 2014 @ 5:00 am

Fantasic web site. Plenty of useful info here. I am sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thank you on your sweat!