Breakfast Enchiladas

Breakfast Enchiladas

You are going to love these breakfast enchiladas! This is the best breakfast casserole I’ve ever made and I am so excited to share it with you. We had a family brunch a few weeks ago after Zeke’s baby dedication at church, and these breakfast enchiladas were on the menu.  I was a little nervous to be experimenting with a new recipe when we had company, but I’m so glad I did because it was a huge hit! It’s a make ahead dish, which is perfect for a busy morning, and I love that you can customize it to your own tastes. I used sausage, but you could easily use bacon or ham instead, or change up the veggies. This is such a fun and different take on the classic egg casserole, and I can guarantee I’ll be making it again.

Breakfast Enchiladas

Breakfast Enchiladas

1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
½ cups Chopped Green Onions
2-½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided
10 whole Flour Tortillas
2 cups Half-and-half
6 whole Eggs
1 Tablespoon Flour
Salsa and Sour Cream, To Serve

In a large pan, cook the sausage, peppers and onions together until the sausage is done. Let cool slightly. Stir together sausage mixture, green onions and 2 cups of cheese in a large bowl. Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop out cheese mixture onto a tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are squeezed into the pan.

Whisk together half-and-half, eggs and flour. Pour over tortillas. Cover and let sit overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until eggs are set. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over enchiladas and bake, uncovered for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Serve with salsa and sour cream.

20 Responses to “Breakfast Enchiladas”

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 30, 2013 @ 8:54 am

Such a fantastic idea!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — September 30, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Those look so perfect. Now this is the way to start the day.

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — September 30, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

Totally agree: a FANTASTIC way to start the day!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — September 30, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Normally I am not into mexican style breakfasts because I am not a fan of tomato in the morning, but this doesn’t have any so yay!

Kathy — September 30, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

I love breakfast casseroles. If that means I can have enchiladas for breakfast, I’m all in!

Julie C. — September 30, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

I love breakfast burritos but never thought to do it in a casserole like this. Cannot wait to try these!

Nutmeg Nanny — October 1, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

Oh yum :) Now I can eat enchiladas all day long!! These look fantastic

Adrienne — October 5, 2013 @ 9:59 am

These look so dang good! Totally pinning and TOTALLY making! I’m more of a bacon kind of girl, so that may be my meat of choice, or even mix the two to make it interesting.

Judi Vandever — October 11, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

Why does it have to sit overnight?

Cinnamon Cindy — November 11, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

We can’t eat sausage or bacon, so what do you think of using steak as the meat? and if so what kind of steak would you use? thanks.

Therese Z — December 6, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

I think steak would be fine, sort of a breakfast fajita.

But what size tortillas are we talking about? 6″? 10″?

• megan replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 10:45 am

I used the smaller size tortillas to keep the serving size smaller, but I honestly don’t think it matters all that much. Enjoy! :)

MegT — December 30, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

I made this for our Christmas morning breakfast casserole and it was a HIT! I loved it so much that I just went to the store last evening to get the ingredients to make it again. The only thing I did differently was that I omitted the green onions and used half of an orange pepper.

jennifer — January 16, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

do you think i could make this with eggbeaters?

thanks!

Rachael — February 13, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

This sounds delicious! I’m looking for a recipe for our mops group and I think this fits the bill. Just a quick question – what is the purpose of the half & half? Could I substitute milk instead?

Elizabeth — February 21, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

I was thinking of this for my MOPS group as well. YUM

Jody — February 23, 2014 @ 10:01 am

I make something like this.. soooo delish!
    This is made overnight to let the tortillas soften and flavors blend…
    Using the Half & Half…gives it a richer taste and consistency is creamier… I use the fat free one in most of my recipes instead of milk just for that reason.. tastes richer… I also use the “pre-cooked” bacon and sausage to save time…
    and yes… you can make this with Egg Beaters too… plus using the FF half & half …I do that a lot too… sooo good!! I’ll add in some dry onion flakes to add flavor.. and use turkey sausage to save calories…
    Add whatever you like.. make it your own… yummm…

isabelle — February 24, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

I,
    i would like to know what our half and halft??Sauce or …?Tank you!

Jeanne Smith — March 12, 2014 @ 8:32 am

Why do the tortillas look dry, and the eggs look to be inside the tortillas?

Janet — March 16, 2014 @ 10:19 am

cooked for 40 minutes eggs still runny. Cooked an extra 10 minutes @400 still runny eggs. Made a BIG mess in oven and eggs still not set. Will not make again….