Chai Latte

This is possibly the easiest chai latte you’ll ever make. Actually, it feels a little bit like cheating, since you actually start with chai tea bags. But trust me, this is not just a cup of tea. It’s a sweet, creamy, comforting drink that will have even self-proclaimed tea haters asking for more. And that has been proven. I’ve converted multiple tea haters into chai lovers with this exact drink – my husband included!

If you’re not familiar with chai tea, it’s basically a spiced tea that’s popular in much of South Asia. Actually the word chai really means “tea”, so saying chai tea is a little redundant (tea tea?). I call it chai tea anyway though, and no one has ever corrected me. :) This version doesn’t taste like your typical cup of tea. It’s sweet and milky, and the spices in it make it great for a cool fall evening. Give this tea a try and let me know if you convert any “tea haters!”

Chai Latte

3 cups water
4 Chai Tea Bags (Stash Tea is my favorite brand, but any brand of chai will work)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Boil 3 cups of water. Pour into a ceramic teapot (or large pot), add the tea bags and steep for 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the milk, sugar, and vanilla on the stove, stirring until the milk is heated and the sugar is dissolved. Do not allow the milk to boil. Add the milk mixture to the teapot and stir to combine. Serve hot.

from my mom

18 Responses to “Chai Latte”

Brenda — September 20, 2010 @ 2:28 am

I'm not a big fan of tea in general but I just love chai tea. I agree, chai tea can convert tea haters with one sip! ;o)

Simply Life — September 20, 2010 @ 12:46 pm

Looks like the perfect fall drink!

Tampa BookWorm — September 20, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

love chai lattes! I am not a tea drinker either, but this stuff is awesome!

Megan — September 21, 2010 @ 12:33 am

I like those cartons of Oregon Chai latte concentrate and I think this recipe is about to save me money! Yippee for chai tea!

megan — September 21, 2010 @ 1:19 am

Megan – Dare I say that this is even better than the Oregon Chai? And like you said, it's definitely cheaper :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — September 21, 2010 @ 1:19 am

Barbara — September 21, 2010 @ 11:55 am

It may be simple, Megan,, but Oh so delicious!

Anonymous — September 21, 2010 @ 11:02 pm

Yum!! I love reading about your cooking and food blogging adventures. Wish we could chat over a cup of chai tea, my friend. Miss you!
    Faith:)

Jolon — September 22, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

My BF LOVES chai and he's slowly getting me hooked. Can't wait to try this at home since I HATE paying for it at the coffee shop. (Only mine will be soy milk… yum.)

Julie M. — September 22, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

Chai tea is one of my all time favorite hot drinks! I love getting a cup of it at Starbucks but hate paying the exorbitant fee. This looks like an easy way to make a delcious cup of it on my own. Thanks Megan!

Eliana — September 23, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

So simple yet so delicious :)

Maranda — September 23, 2010 @ 10:06 pm

Yum! This looks delicious! Throw a little pumpkin spice in there and I'm all in!

MarshaMarshaMarsha — September 24, 2010 @ 4:38 am

This is my go-to drink when my tummy says no to coffee. (bad tummy! I like to make the tea really strong and add a dash of half-and-half for a little extra creaminess.

TwoWishes Tara — September 25, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

This looks like a must-try! So happy to have discovered your blog, and looking forward to reading much more. (Though it won't be good for my waistline — seems on food blogs I am always drawn to the glorious, glorious DESSERT recipes…. And doughnut muffins, but of course.)

FADS: Day 13 « How NOT To Talk To Guys — September 14, 2012 @ 12:41 am

[...] and here’s the recipe for the homemade chai tea latte! Go try it, it’s delicious! I used Stash chai spice tea and it was so [...]

I sure love tea… « How NOT To Talk To Guys — October 17, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

[...] tea lately. Why tea, you ask? I have no idea. Maybe it’s because I had a spectacular cup of chai tea latte… or maybe because I learned how to make a Dublin Fog. Either way, I now love [...]

Alexa — January 27, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

Girlfriend, you nailed it :) I have been trying different Chai recipes and yours is hands down the best. I have tried everything from Tazo Chai Concentrate which has a flavor that I don’t like, to Oregon Chai Latte which is much too sweet. Starbucks is inconvenient and expensive. I have also tried my own concoctions and other online recipes which missed the mark. Yours is the best! Thank you!!!

• megan replied: — January 27th, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! This is the way my mom had made it for years, so I’m glad other people are able to enjoy it as well. :)