Doughnut Muffins

These are exactly what they sound like – muffins that taste like doughnuts! At first glance they seem kind of plain. There are no add-ins (although I’m sure you could come up with some great additions!), no outstanding flavor combinations – they are just simple little vanilla muffins with a hint of nutmeg. And yet, even in all their plainness, these muffins are very, very good. Sometimes it’s the simple things that taste the best.

They have a cake-like texture, and the cinnamon sugar topping is just like icing on the cake. You really can’t go wrong when something is dipped first in melted butter and then in cinnamon sugar. The topping takes the taste from good, but plain, to “wow this tastes just like a doughnut!” (which might have been the exact words Mike used when he ate his first muffin). These would be delicious as mini-muffins, or you could even get fancy and top them with a powdered sugar glaze. With so many options, there’s really no reason not to make these muffins. They’re sweet, and kind of old fashioned, and they make a great breakfast addition.

Doughnut Muffins

3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup milk

Topping:
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 Tbsp cinnamon)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. If using paper muffin cups, spray the cups with cooking spray to ensure that they peel off the muffins easily.

In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter, oil, and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.

Starting and ending with the flour, alternately stir the flour and milk into the butter mixture. Make sure everything is thoroughly combined. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.

Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and, using a fork, tip the muffins sideways in the pan to keep the bottoms from steaming. (See picture) Let them cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them.

While they're cooling, melt the butter for the topping. Dip the top of each muffin in the melted butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store for a day or so at room temperature.

adapted, slightly, from King Arthur Flour

45 Responses to “Doughnut Muffins”

Danielle — September 23, 2010 @ 3:36 am

Cute! They're look like mini donuts.

kitchen flavours — September 23, 2010 @ 3:48 am

Never had a doughtnut muffin before! Looks cute and I'm sure they are perfect with a cup of coffee!

embraceyourskin — September 23, 2010 @ 4:09 am

These look amazing!
    All I'm missing is a muffin tin :(

Jessica @ How Sweet — September 23, 2010 @ 10:41 am

I have wanted to make these muffins for weeks but I am so afraid I will eat every single one of them!

Simply Life — September 23, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

oh those look great!

Brenda — September 23, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

Megan, I made these a few months ago (same recipe) and we LOVED them!! I think they all got eaten in one day, lol. They're great!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — September 23, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

I've seen a few bloggers making these lately. They look amazing!! I think I need to follow suite and make a batch myself, too :) cinnamon sugar donuts are the best!! And these have to be considered a healthier alternative, after all they're not deep fried (never mind the dunk in butter…we're not talking about that LOL)

newlywed — September 23, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

I can't wait to try this recipe!

Jenn — September 23, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

mmmmmm…those look incredibly tasty! But I am a sucker for anything that tastes like doughnuts!!

Anonymous — September 23, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

These look amazing!!! I'd love to talk photography again with you, and hear more about blogging! We definitely need to do more girls' night out events. :) – Andrea

heather — September 23, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

ive made a recipe twice now of this…yup delicious! even using half butter/half applesauce in them they are still so good!

Out of the Box into the Kitchen — September 23, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

theblogisthenewblack — September 23, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

I've been dying to make these!

Eliana — September 23, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Hmmm – these look so amazing. I could easily eat 2, 3, 4 or 5 in one sitting!

delishliving.com — September 23, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

yes, i love these! i have the same recipe (from the pioneer woman) and they are the BEST breakfast treat. not to mention afternoon/evening treat as well!

Lisa — September 23, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

I've heard so much about these muffins and yours look so good.

megan — September 23, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

Andrea – Thanks for the comment – I totally agree, another girls night – I'll bake, you photograph and teach me everything you know ;)

Brenda, Heather, delishliving – Thanks for commenting – it's nice to hear that other people like these too!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — September 23, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

Mari — September 23, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

Hi Megan! Thanks for stopping at my blog. I was surprised to see you are from GR. I live in Allendale!
    Your recipes look great! I'm going to have to try these muffins out.

A glimpse of me.... — September 24, 2010 @ 12:16 am

Thanks for visiting me. And yes, the pumpkin pudding is so easy and delicious. A big hit at my house.

AND these look divine. My ds12 who loves to bake will be happy to make these tomorrow for breakfast. Thank you!

Jill

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... — September 24, 2010 @ 12:16 am

Jill

Maranda — September 24, 2010 @ 12:49 am

Okay. With as many donut muffin recipes I've been seeing lately, I am definitely going to have to try them! Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 24, 2010 @ 1:07 am

I have the pleasure to try some donut muffins (not sure if they were the same recipe or not), and they were SOOO good! I haven't tried making them myself yet, though, because I know I'll eat entirely too many! Yours look just as good!

Julie M. — September 24, 2010 @ 1:47 am

I keep seeing these on everyone's blogs. It's like they're calling out to me and asking me to make them! Yours are really cute! I love how small and dainty they are. Does that mean I can eat more at one sitting? :)

MarshaMarshaMarsha — September 24, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Hello my two favorite things– donuts and muffins!

And goodbye low carb diet!!! YUM!

megan — September 24, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Mari – How fun that you are so close by! I never knew there were so many bloggers from West Michigan :)

A glimpse of me – I hope you and your son like these as much as we did! Thanks for stopping by to comment :)

Julie – yes, it means you can eat twice as many ;)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — September 24, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Julie – yes, it means you can eat twice as many ;)

Steph — September 24, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

These look soo good!!! And so cute :)

Tina — September 24, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

Sometimes simpler flavors are the best. And these look pretty dang good to me!! :D

Tawny — September 24, 2010 @ 10:15 pm

i've made these before and they are good! but i always feel confused when im eating them trying to think if it tastes more like a doughnut or a muffin.. and i love your pictures
    -Tawny @ The Year of The Cookie

Jessie — September 25, 2010 @ 1:41 am

YESSSSSS! I can't wait to make these!!

Chef Bee — September 25, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

Doughnuts are such a mess to make. What a great take on them.

Plan B

Natalie — September 26, 2010 @ 9:40 pm

yum! I've seen these posted in so many places, you KNOW it must be a good recipe! Need to try sometime!!!

Laura — September 26, 2010 @ 11:40 pm

Megan, I wanted to let you know that I decided to try making these muffins. I loved the look of them and had all the ingredients, so it seemed like the perfect activity for a cool Sunday evening. Alas, I cannot fully enjoy them (as you know), but I'm planning on sharing them with a friend who recently had surgery. That's right: I'm taking a hint from today's post to use this opportunity to love others. :) Thanks for the prompting and the great recipe!

Hannah — September 27, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

I love your photos, and the donut muffins themselves are adorable. Such perfectly risen little domes… Now you're tempting me to trying veganizing the recipe!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — September 28, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

Those look amazing! I made a similar version for an ice cream cupcake contest I entered – doughnut muffins, or cupcakes, are the best!

Sophia — September 28, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Yummy! These muffins look great!! My favorite muffin recipe is for Bay State Muffins! I'm definitely adding yours to my "To Try" list! Thanks for sharing!

Gabe's Girl — September 29, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

I love baking these muffins! They are perfect for someone who loves muffins and cake doughnuts at the same time!

Gabe's Girl — September 29, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

megan — September 30, 2010 @ 1:22 am

Laura – I hope your friend liked them! Thanks for the nice comment :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — September 30, 2010 @ 1:22 am

Laura – I hope your friend liked them! Thanks for the nice comment :)

Laurie — October 9, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

I made these yesterday–they're great –thanks for the recipe! I really enjoy your blog Megan!

megan — October 13, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

Laurie – Thanks for stopping back to let me know – I'm so glad you liked them! And thank you also for your kind words :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — October 13, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

Courtney — January 4, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. These sound so incredibly yummy!