Galettes (French Waffles)

Galettes (French Waffles)

Day 2: For the second day of the 12 days of Christmas (cookies), I’m bringing you the very epitome of a tried and true family favorite recipe. My grandmother has been making these cookies year after year for as long as I can remember. Now, my mom and I do all the work, but we still use my grandma’s recipe, and it still produces the same soft waffle-shaped cookie that we all love. The only change we made is that sometimes, we dip the edges in white chocolate. (Mike loves this, my dad does not. In his mind, why mess with an already great cookie?)

As you can see below, you need a galette iron to make these. You make the cookies 2 at a time, which can be quite time consuming, but we always set up a table in the living room, put in a movie, and make an evening out of it. If you are lucky enough to have a galette iron lying around your house, I would definitely recommend these cookies. They are some of Mike’s favorites. They’re nice and soft, have just the right amount of sweetness, and they’re fun and unique. Is this a family tradition for anybody else? Has anybody else even had these wonderful cookies? Leave a comment and let me know :)

Galettes (French Waffles) Galettes (French Waffles)
Galettes (French Waffles) Galettes (French Waffles)

Galettes (French Waffles)

1 lb butter
2 cups sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and mix. Add vanilla and mix. Add dry ingredients. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until stiff. Fold gently into batter. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Drop by spoonfuls (2 at a time) onto galette maker. Close lid and let cook for approximately 1 minute. Remove cookies to wire rack and repeat.

49 Responses to “Galettes (French Waffles)”

Jessica — December 2, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

These look so good. I have never had them before!

Karen @ Citrus and Candy — December 2, 2009 @ 4:03 pm

Oh wow, I love these! Def a new cookie I have to try one day and how can anybody not like it dipped in chocolate? Yumm… waffles…

kilax — December 2, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

Those are so neat! I wish I had the iron to make them at home :)

Jamie Cooks It Up! — December 2, 2009 @ 8:15 pm

Thanks for your comment on my blog. These cookies look great! These are a kind of cookie I have never tried before, I am eager to give them a go. Have a great day!

Gala — December 4, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

Oh I had the them and they were delicious! Any topping in the world goes with these and they are perfect plain too.

megan — December 4, 2009 @ 2:25 pm

Gala – I'm so glad someone else has had these! I was starting to feel like I was the only one. :)

Kim — December 7, 2009 @ 2:14 am

wow! I have never seen anyone else make these besides my former MIL. She called them "gullets" (maybe the WV accent had something to do with the different name?) She always made them on a regular waffle iron, making them about 2" rounds. I liked them as soon as they came off the iron, everyone else liked them the next day.

defythewind — December 11, 2009 @ 8:34 pm

We never have those plain. We make little sandwiches with chocolate filling. I didn't know they're so popular worldwide.

be_your_self4 — December 14, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

My mom bought a waffle iron not too long ago and has been trying to find an old family waffle recipe that seems to have fallen off the face of the planet.
    So I showed her this one, she can't wait to try them and see if they are just like her aunt used to make. I can't wait either because those were apparently some pretty darn good waffles.
    Thanks for the recipe can't wait to get home from university to make them!

megan — December 16, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

Kim – I wondered if you could make them on a regular waffle iron! I'll have to try that – thanks for the tip :)

defythewind – adding a chocolate filling to these sounds amazing!

be_your_self4 – I hope you and your mom like these! Stop back and let me know how they turn out. :)

J — December 28, 2009 @ 7:22 pm

My family makes them every year at Christmas. We always look forward to gettig a big bag of grandma's Galettes! They are perfect tea or coffee time snacks as well.

megan — January 4, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

J – It's always great to hear from someone else who has had these cookies! You're right – they're great with a cup of tea :)

Anonymous — March 23, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

This is something my grandma always made and loved them, she died when I was 10 and we could never find someone else that made them… awesome, thanks for the recipe

Katie — June 15, 2010 @ 11:17 pm

I have made these in years past when my children were little and made ice cream sandwhiches out of them. I also made Chocolate waffle cookies so we could have a variation on the ice-cream sandwhich. Love them. I had not made these in many years but you have inspired me to make them for my grandchildren. I love you blog

megan — June 16, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Katie – chocolate waffle cookie ice cream sandwiches sound incredible. thank you for that wonderful idea! :)

Brenda — July 10, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

I actually have an iron that you use on the stove that makes them one at a time!!! Talk about time consuming!!! I'm looking forward to buying the electric waffle iron. My question for you is, how does this iron differ from a pizzelle iron? or does it?
    LOVE these cookies!!! Make them every Christmas! (for HOURS!!!)
    Thanks for the info!
    Brenda LaRue

megan — July 10, 2010 @ 5:59 pm

Brenda – Thanks so much for your comment! I love finding other people who know about these cookies :) And I can't imagine making 1 at a time – 2 at a time is time consuming enough!

To answer your question, this iron is different than a pizzelle iron. The pizzelle iron makes thin, crispy cookies, and this iron must be deeper because it makes thicker soft cookies. I hope it works out well for you!

Cheryl — August 23, 2010 @ 1:43 am

Hi Megan,

I love these cookies. My family makes them as well. Our recipe is slightly different – we use brown sugar along with the regular sugar. Here is our recipe: http://cucina.grandinetti.org/recipes/desserts/cookies/gallettes. Looking forward to trying your recipe.

Cheryl

megan — August 24, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Cheryl – thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from other people who have had these cookies. Brown sugar would be an interesting variation I'm sure! :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — August 24, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Cheryl — November 20, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

Here’s another Cheryl ringing in about gullets (or gallettes – oh so many spellings! and the spelling got so Americanized after our grandmothers came to the US). I just made my first “batch” of the season – actually they are for a friend’s daughter’s wedding cookie table, not for the holidays. I wrote a little memoire about my family’s history of making these cookies and about what it means to have the memories of making them with my aunt and mom. If you are still interested in this post, I can send the story to you – you might enjoy reading it – it’s about passing the iron on down the generations.

• megan replied: — November 21st, 2011 @ 5:57 am

Cheryl – I would love to read it! Thank you for offering! You can email me at whatmegansmaking[at]gmail[dot]com. :)

Denise — December 7, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

I have been looking for this recipe! I can’t wait to try yours. One of my very favorite cookies!

Terri — September 21, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

I remember these cookies that my grandmother used to make and when I saw the picture of them it even brought back fonder memories….. how I miss them…. hopefully I can make some this Christmas… Thanks so very much for more information on them… although I have my mothers recipe (from my grandmother) I didn’t realize that you refrigerated them before cooking them… I do remember that I tried to use margarine instead of real butter and it just didn’t work at all…..

• megan replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 6:53 am

I’m so glad I could help you out with an old family recipe – these cookies just make me think of family Christmas memories :)

Kay — October 24, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

My grandparents came from Belgium in the early 1900′s and my mother was born here in the USA. When my grandmother came here she also brought with her galette irons from her home country. There were about 4 cast iron ones that went to my 3 aunts and mother. Today my brother has 2 and I have 2. We also found one made of aluminum at a store in Uniontown, PA and my aunts bought me one of those and it works great. I also found some on line about 18 years ago and have not been able to locate any since. My family has made these for years at Christmas and of course family weddings and its something I look forward to every year. My mother is now gone and so are my aunts but my family carries on the tradition. Our receipe is someone different than this as it may be due to the different parts of Belgium where people came from.

• megan replied: — October 31st, 2012 @ 8:40 am

What a sweet comment, thank you for sharing! This is one of those recipes that really makes you think of family :)

DAVID O'LEAR — November 19, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

Hey Megan,
    Growing up in the 50′s / 60′s in SW Pa, I remember helping make these in irons on a gas stove at Christmas and for family weddings. Recently cleaned out my 89 year old mothers home (she moved to a PC), found the irons and reminissed. I plan on making them soon to your recipe that seems similar or mom’s if I can find it.

• megan replied: — November 20th, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

What wonderful memories! I love that this recipe seems to strike a chord with people. Those old family recipes are the best :)

Cara — November 29, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

I’m so glad I ran across your blog post. I can’t find my grandmother’s recipe and I was looking for a similar one. Your’s seems to be almost identical to what I remember. I also make these on a regular waffle iron but my grandmother made them w/ the iron in the fireplace. They bring back such good memories.

• megan replied: — November 30th, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Oh, I’m so glad! It just doesn’t seem like Christmas without these cookies :)

Elizabeth Thomas Ladd — December 13, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

These are also a family tradition that my great grandmother made. She learned from her Belgian grandmother and mother. I only attempted them a year or two ago and only have my electric waffle iron to make them in but they still turned out a lot like I remember them. Our family recipe is very simple and has brown sugar instead of white, and whole eggs instead of separated. There is no leavening agent and they call for cinnamon to taste instead of vanilla. My uncle has my great grandmother’s iron that the family must have brought with them. Maybe someday I will get to try them on that! So glad to find others who know of these special cookies; before the internet, I never knew anyone else who made them. Anyway, I am leaving this comment since others who have Belgian heritage seem to be interested in the Galettes. My other passion is genealogy; if you are of Belgian heritage and have the name Lechien in your family or if your Belgian glass worker immigrant ancestors moved to Anderson, Indiana, please message me! I’d love to hear from you. ElizabethAnnette1969@gmail.com Joyeux Noel!

• megan replied: — December 14th, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Thanks so much for this comment – I love hearing about everyone’s family traditions with this recipe!

Maureen — December 17, 2012 @ 9:37 am

Megan, I have searched for Waffle Cookies before and never found anything, so imagine my surprise when your site pops up picturing my cookies! The recipe is little different, and the waffle iron I use is cast iron and used on the stove top. It came from my Italian grandmother – at one time there was a ring that fit around the burner and you could flip the iron on that. Alas, it was lost many years ago, so I have to pick it up and turn it over cooking the cookie one side at a time. I get a workout as well as a treat! And here I thought I was the only one making them.

• megan replied: — December 19th, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

How fun that you found my post on these wonderful cookies! I just leave reading all the memories from other people who make them. Like you, I thought we were the only ones who ever still made them. :) Now the question is, my Italian grandmother had a similar recipe, your Italian grandmother had this recipe – but it’s not Italian, is it??

Tess — November 20, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

Where can I find the iron you use to make these cookies. My family has made them for years and years but the iron we use is hand held and must be baked over a gas flame. The square holes on them are smaller then the tradional waffle iron. I would live to purchase an electric one. Please let me know! Thank you!!

Danielle — December 12, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

I have these every year. This was also a Christmas tradition in my house as well. We would be up all late cooking them on the stove, since ours was the iron one. I hated these cookies as a kid by now have grown to love them and it is not the holidays if you do not have cookies.

• megan replied: — December 13th, 2013 @ 9:35 am

I love hearing about other people’s traditions with these cookies! I agree, it doesn’t feel like Christmas without them. :)

Gabriella — December 15, 2013 @ 1:01 am

Im Hungarian and my grandmother used to make these with an on the stove top cookie iron…..I wojld like to know where I can purchase one….

Patricia DiSabato — January 23, 2014 @ 9:28 am

My grandfather, Ferdinand Ducouer, was from Belgium and came to America in 1917 with this recipe in tow. As children, whenever we would visit my grandparents they would have these cookies waiting for us. They are the best! Thank you for sharing the recipe with the world.

• megan replied: — January 28th, 2014 @ 11:08 am

I love comments like this – thanks so much for sharing!

Vicki John T. — April 26, 2014 @ 8:15 am

My Belgian Gma also made them with irons, that are mine now. my recipe was missing the overnight refrigeration. In PA she would let them dry out to make tethers for toddlers, dunkers for adults, and knawers for kids. Wish I could find a way to do this in FL. Thanks

Connie — August 29, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

It is interesting that so many of us who grew up with these wonderful treats are from SW PA or WV. We made them one at a time on the stove at Christmas in my grandmother’s kitchen. We used brown sugar and vanilla and also put them in the refrigerator before making them. We rolled them into “bullets” before making them.

Renee — December 16, 2014 @ 10:22 am

I am so glad I stumbled upon your post when doing a search for “French waffle cookies.” My great-grandmother (Italian) made these (along with pizzelle…the Italian waffle cookie). My dad distinctly remembers these, though. And, reading from others’ comments, I am wondering if she learned to make these because they settled in southwest PA (upon arriving from Italy)?? I am excited to find your recipe, because I wasn’t sure about the one I had. Thanks for sharing! You never know how a simple post/sharing like this can affect others! I am going to make these as a big surprise for my dad! :)

• megan replied: — December 18th, 2014 @ 3:10 pm

I love comments like this! How fun that these cookies have so many memories for so many different people. My grandmother was Italian as well, and settled in Southwestern PA, near Pittsburgh. I grew up eating these, but have never seen anyone else make them. Thanks for commenting – I hope your dad loves them!

• megan replied: — December 18th, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

p.s. my grandma made pizzelle’s too, but I never liked them as well because she flavored them with anise. I need to try her recipe with vanilla instead, just to suit my taste buds. :)

Lisa — December 16, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

We would call these thicker ones “wooflette” and thinner ones galettes. The thinner ones are a stiffer dough and you roll it before pressing. Both pekoe citric galette irons and wooflette iron are available now from a company based out of West Newton PA. I also have old stove top ones. My great grandmother came from Charleroi Belguim to Charleroi Pennsylvania. My sister, cousin and aunt make these each year. I just eat there’s. Haven’t made them in years since my sister took over!

• megan replied: — December 18th, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

How fun! I love reading everyone’s memories of these cookies. Thanks for commenting!