Morning Glory Muffins

Morning Glory Muffins

I’ve mentioned it before, but there’s just something about family recipes that have stood the test of time. One of my favorite wedding gifts I received when Mike and I got married was a recipe book filled with recipes handed down from Mike’s side of the family.  I was looking through that binder the other day when I ran across this recipe for Morning Glory muffins. The recipe comes from Mike’s grandma, who sadly, I never had the chance to meet. I’ve heard plenty about her though – how sweet and kind she was, and also what a good baker she was. Knowing about her baking skills, when I ran across her recipe I decided to make these muffins immediately.

These morning glory muffins are definitely a new favorite in our house. They’re sweet and moist with a great texture from the varied ingredients. The cinnamon gives them a warm flavor, and thanks to the shredded carrots and apples, I can convince myself that they’re healthy. (Let’s just bypass the fact that I subbed out the raisins in favor of chocolate chips).  The muffins freeze beautifully and Mike and I have each been defrosting one a day to enjoy as part of our lunch. Mike likes these as much as I do, and I know I will be making these again and again.

Morning Glory Muffins

3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 beaten eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease or line 24 muffin tins with paper cups. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate (larger) bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Combine the two mixtures and stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in a center muffin comes out with moist crumbs.

24 Responses to “Morning Glory Muffins”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 29, 2011 @ 10:30 am

I also love recipes that were handed down! For my bridal shower I got a recipe box full of recipes from each guest. It is one of my favorite things!

Simply Life — April 29, 2011 @ 11:07 am

what a sweet way to remember her!

Kim — April 29, 2011 @ 11:51 am

I think the nurses would love this!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — April 29, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

What a great wedding gift! My grandma makes something similar to these–I think she calls them morning glory muffins too.

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — April 29, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

I love tried and true family recipes. What a great gift from your husband's side of the family. The name of these muffins is so cute, and the ingredients look delicious.

Happy When Not Hungry — April 29, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

My husband's family gave me the same thing for my bridal shower!! Such a special gift. These muffins look delicious as well!

Elisabeth — April 30, 2011 @ 1:03 am

I had these before at a restaurant. Then, when I was in Africa we made them for the first time (from someone else's family recipe!) and I was hooked. They are just so good – moist and sweet and wonderful :o )

Sarah B

Autumn@Good Eats Girl — April 30, 2011 @ 2:13 am

These sound absolutely perfect. I love great muffins!

Cooking Rookie — April 30, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

Yum, beautiful muffins!

Maria — May 1, 2011 @ 1:50 am

These muffins are loaded with goodness!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — May 1, 2011 @ 2:15 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE morning glory muffins! Yours look so good and now I really want one. :)

Kathy - Panini Happy — May 1, 2011 @ 5:08 am

I'm glad to know how these are! I've got a recipe for “Glorious Morning Muffins” from the back of the Gold Medal flour package sitting on my kitchen island, waiting for me to buy the ingredients. Little did I know they were a classic. Nice!

Kristan — May 1, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

These look so good!! LOVE the gift of the recipe binder…aren't old recipes the best?

Julie M. — May 2, 2011 @ 12:54 am

Those sound great Megan! Apples and carrots most definitely make it healthy. I'll have to make a batch of these soon!

sheila @ Elements — May 3, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

I'll give 'em a try! Sounds wonderful! :)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 3, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

I love trying different muffins and these sound fantastic!

Eliana — May 6, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

They look so incredibly delicious! I can't think of a better way to start the day.

Erin Rose — May 7, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

These are very good. Made them yesterday using some applesauce in place of some of the oil and using half white whole wheat flour. Will definitely be making again. Thanks!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — May 7, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Erin Rose – I'm so glad you liked these! Thanks for letting me know how they turned out with your substitutions :)

Nadia — October 6, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

I love these muffins! They are also awesome for substituing things in and out. I hate walnuts so always use sunflower seeds and/or almond slices. I never keep rasins in my house so I use dried apricots/cherries/and or blueberries!

• megan replied: — October 13th, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Nadia – so glad you like these muffins! I agree they are great for substitutions. Good suggestions on the dried fruit! :)

Morning Glory Muffins | the Art of Delicious — March 5, 2013 @ 6:29 am