Chocolate Cloud Frosting

Chocolate Cloud Frosting

I have been in a cupcake mood recently! Most of you don’t know this, but I actually have a little side business selling cupcakes in Grand Rapids! My cupcake business is called Morning Glory Sweets and I have been hard at work coming up with my favorite flavors to include. This chocolate cloud frosting is definitely a new favorite. I’ve made it quite a few times in the past few weeks and I love it! It’s so smooth and creamy, and it really is very light – just like a chocolate cloud of frosting. I originally found the recipe from Sweetapolita (she’s got some amazing cakes over there!) when she posted a nutella cloud frosting. I’ve made it with the nutella, and without, and it’s great both ways. For a classic chocolate frosting, however, you can’t go wrong with this one!

Chocolate Cloud Frosting

Chocolate Cloud Frosting

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (7 ounces) confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
pinch of salt

Combine the butter and confectioners' sugar in a bowl of stand mixer and beat on medium-low speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the vanilla and chocolate and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and a pinch of salt and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.

*Note: To make Nutella frosting, beat in 1/3 cup Nutella with the cream and salt.

21 Responses to “Chocolate Cloud Frosting”

Blog is the New Black — April 17, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Looks so fluffy & perfect!

Talia — April 17, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

What type of cream? Light, heavy, whipping??? Thanks. Can’t wait to try this!

• megan replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

heavy whipping cream. The original recipe called for milk, so you could use that as well, but I always like the texture that the cream gives the frosting. Enjoy! :)

amanda @ fake ginger — April 17, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

I would eat my weight in this frosting!

I had no idea you had a cupcake business! So fun!

PS. Send me cupcakes. :)

Ruth — April 17, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

you should try out for cupcake wars :)
    have you heard about cupcake caps…those seem fun too. Especially for people like me who aren’t the best at decorating. I haven’t used them myself……yet. I stumbled upon the website and I’m just waiting for a good enough reason to give it a try. http://cupcakecaps.com/index.html?gclid=CKCb34Ox-JgCFQUWGgodND8imQ

What Megan's Making » Chocolate Cloud Frosting | Chocolate — April 18, 2012 @ 4:42 am

[...] Chocolate Cloud Frosting [...]

Charlotte Moore — April 18, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Well, you are full of surprises!!! Had no idea!!!

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) — April 18, 2012 @ 11:57 am

This frosting looks delicious–and how did I not know about the cupcake business? I’ll be sure to point all my GR friends your way!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — April 18, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

what a fun side business! if my sister was still at calvin college i would have her order from you. :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 19, 2012 @ 9:57 am

the frosting is beautiful! I’m more of a vanilla frosting kind of girl, but this is too beautiful to pass up :)

Lindsay {life and kitchen} — April 19, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

I will definitely have to make this! It has me in the mood for a cupcake :)

Elizabeth — April 23, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I was just wondering if you used the paddle or whisk attachment for your frosting?

• megan replied: — April 23rd, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I used the paddle attachement.

Chocolate Cloud Cupcake Frosting « The Cupcake Blog — April 23, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

[...] and recipe available at What Megan’s Making Posted by The Cupcake Connoisseur in All Chocolate Cupcakes and tagged with chocolate, [...]

SandyB — April 24, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

How do you have a cupcake business with a dog? I had gotten my kitchen certified and then a dog “adopted” us :) , which in my state means I can’t sell products cooked in my kitchen :( I love your blog, by the way! I like its “clean” look and the recipes are great!

Chocolate Cloud Frosting Recipe : How To Cupcakes — May 22, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

[...] complete recipe at WhatMegansMaking.com Interesting stuff about this post: This article, "Chocolate Cloud Frosting Recipe" has been [...]

jane — October 17, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

how many cupcakes can 1 batch frost? thanks!

• megan replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

It will frost about 12 cupcakes, or a few more if you don’t pile it on as high as I did :)

Sandra — October 24, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

Can you store frosting overnight in fridge?

• megan replied: — October 31st, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Yes, just let it come to room temperature and stir it a little before using.

Perfect Chocolate Frosting | Kimmy's Bake Shop — December 14, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

[...] Perfect Chocolate Frosting (frosts about 2 dozen cupcakes) barely adapted from What Megan’s Making [...]