Tortellini with Spinach, Broccoli, and Brown Butter

Tortellini with Spinach, Broccoli, and Brown Butter

I just had to start off the new year with something containing vegetables. I feel like I owe it to you after all of those cookie recipes I posted in December. If you’re like 95% of people everywhere, you’re probably craving some sort of healthy vegetable-filled food right about now. Well this recipe for tortellini with spinach, broccoli and brown butter is for you. It’s nutritious, filled with a variety of vegetables, and best of all, it tastes amazing. It’s flavored with browned butter, so how could it be anything but delicious? Let’s not completely shock the system after all those unhealthy December recipes, right?

This meal is so quick to throw together and is one of our new favorite weeknight meals. I made it one night a few weeks ago, we ate it for two meals, and then I immediately made it again the following week. I hope you like it as much as we did! :)

Tortellini with Spinach, Broccoli, and Brown Butter

Tortellini with Spinach, Broccoli, and Brown Butter

Yield: Serves 4

1 pound fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
1 cup broccoli, lightly steamed until crisp-tender
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 small bunch flat-leaf spinach, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
1 red pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and black pepper

Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the spinach, tossing occasionally, until the spinach is wilted and the pepper begins to soften, about 2-3 minutes more. Add the tortellini, broccoli, lemon zest and juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the skillet and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

from Real Simple

14 Responses to “Tortellini with Spinach, Broccoli, and Brown Butter”

Simply Life — January 2, 2013 @ 7:34 am

Oh I love this idea for a fun weeknight meal!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 2, 2013 @ 10:28 am

I would love this… without the vegetables! I just don’t like ‘em. But I’d be more than content with brown butter lemony tortellini. :)

And I hear you on posting non-cookies. The last thing I want to post now is something sweet. I’ve had enough. I never thought this day would come but it has!

Your tortellini looks awesome. So bright and nutritious. :)

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — January 2, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

I am having such a love affair with brown butter right now. I just love the incorporation of it into this dish.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 2, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

This looks infinitely healthier than what I just made with brown butter. What a great way to ring in 2013. I love broccoli with browned butter actually!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — January 2, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

Oh, I love the looks of this meal! Definitely will be trying this!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 2, 2013 @ 7:28 pm

I am always down for veggies…especially when pasta of any kind is involved. Oh yeah, and brown butter!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 3, 2013 @ 7:42 am

My son ADORES tortellini – I love the idea of this! He also loves broccoli so this would be perfect. Happy New Year!!

carrian — January 3, 2013 @ 10:41 am

We adore tortellini. Cannot wait to try this!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — January 3, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Simple and delicious — great way to start out the new year.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 3, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

a recipe like this goes perfectly with my resolution to EAT MORE VEGGIES! And anything involving brown butter – I will gladly try. LOVE browning butter in recipes – whether they are savory or sweet.

heather — January 3, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

I’ll admit to being better at baking than cooking. This looks like something I could manage. I love all the bright green veggies too! Excellent!

xo

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 4, 2013 @ 3:21 am

You had me at brown butter!

Erika Monroe-Williams — January 8, 2013 @ 9:36 am

This is right up my alley! Looks amazing!

Tortellini with Spinach and Broccoli | Anglophilie — March 16, 2013 @ 11:08 am