Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Bars
Day 8 of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats! These chocolate peanut butter crunch bars are so fun. They are like more exciting, better tasting versions of rice krispie treats.
The base is similar to a typical rice krispie treat, but with chopped pretzels mixed in. From there, they are topped with a peanut butter layer, then a chocolate layer, and finally some chopped peanuts and pretzels. The bars are a nice mix of sweet and salty and are definitely more interesting than plain old rice krispie treats. 🙂
If you’re looking for a new twist on an old classic, give these chocolate peanut butter crunch bars a try – we love them!
Click here to see the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats 2013. Or you can see all of my Christmas treat recipes from over the years at this Christmas Cookies tag. Enjoy! And, as always, let me know if you try any and how you liked them.
Yield: Makes 3 dozen
- 3 cups miniature pretzels, coarsely chopped
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup, divided
- 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Measure out 1/3 cup chopped pretzels and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave 6 tablespoons butter on high for 45-60 seconds or until melted. Stir in marshmallows; cook 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until marshmallows are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in Rice Krispies and remaining chopped pretzels. Immediately press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, combine 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45-60 seconds or until butter is melted, stirring once. Add peanut butter chips; cook 20-30 seconds or until chips are melted, stirring once. Spread over cereal layer.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the remaining corn syrup and remaining butter. Cook on high for 45-60 seconds or until butter is melted, stirring once. Add chocolate chips; cook 20-30 seconds longer or until chips are melted, stirring once. Spread over top.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and reserved pretzels; press down gently. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. Cut into bars. Store in airtight containers.
from Taste of Home