Best Ever Banana Cake
Soft and moist banana cake with cream cheese frosting – this is the best banana cake I’ve ever tasted!
I have a great banana cake recipe to share with you today! This best ever banana cake is incredibly moist and bakes up perfectly every single time! I got this recipe from Food.com where it has over 1,000 5 start reviews. Seriously – you don’t mess with a recipe like that! I baked this cake in a 9×13 pan because it seemed easiest at the time, but I’m pretty sure this cake would work as cupcakes, in a bundt pan, as a layer cake, etc. It has a really unusual baking and cooling process that is supposedly the secret to its success. I don’t know if that’s the reason this cake is so good, but I do know that I followed the recipe exactly and the cake turned out perfectly. It was full of banana flavor, incredibly moist, and the cream cheese icing was absolutely delicious. I’ll definitely be making this one again!
Best Ever Banana Cake
Yield: Serves 16
Soft and moist banana cake with cream cheese frosting - this is the best banana cake I've ever tasted!
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
For the icing:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 275°. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in banana mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
I love a good banana cake, and the frosting looks so good!
If you use a bundt cake pan do you still put it in the freezer for 45 min. Wouldn’t it be impossible to get it out of the pan to frost? I wanted to take it to a Church raffle.
What an interesting technique! Can’t wait to try it.
Made this yesterday! It is a thick, moist and delicious cake!
I also baked this cake last weekend. Since I always bring things to work and, of course, have to also leave something for my family I baked it in two 8″ square pans. Maybe because the batter may have been higher in the pan I had to bake it for an additional 10 minutes in which I also increased the temperature to 350.
This cake was delightful…..very moist and full of banana taste. The amount of frosting called for was more than generous to top both cakes. Thank you for this wonderful recipe Megan.