Oreo Balls

Oreo Balls

Day 3: These are amazing. There’s really no other way to describe them. A soft, rich, fudgy center surrounded by a thin chocolate coating – this is one Christmas cookie tradition we can’t do without. They’re so simple to make, which is an added bonus. Crush a package of oreos in a food processor, mix with a softened block of cream cheese, roll into balls, and dip into melted chocolate. And that’s it! You have then produced the most wonderfully rich, chocolatey cookie you’ll ever taste. The ones dipped in white chocolate seem to disappear the quickest, although the ones made with mint oreos and dipped in green chocolate tend to be favorites as well. In case I haven’t quite convinced you of how good these are, you should know that Mike rated the white chocolate oreo balls a 4.75, and the mint ones a 5!

Oreo Balls Oreo Balls
Oreo Balls Oreo Balls

Oreo Balls

1 package oreos
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
chocolate discs for melting

Crush oreos in food processor. Combine crushed oreos and softened cream cheese in a large bowl. (Your hands work best for this). Roll into small balls. Melt chocolate discs in a double boiler. You could also melt the chocolate in the microwave or in the oven. Using a toothpick, dip the oreo balls into the chocolate, letting the excess chocolate drip off. Set the oreo balls on waxed paper to cool. Store in the refrigerator.

Some Notes:
1. To make mint oreo balls, use the mint creme oreos and green chocolate discs
2. Don't use double stuffed oreos because they tend to make the oreo balls too soft. If you do use double stuffed oreos (such as the mint creme ones), you can refrigerate the balls to make them easier to dip in the chocolate.
3. To make the chocolate drizzles to make them look nice, melt a contrasting color of chocolate. Dip your spoon in the melted chocolate, let most of it run off, and then kind of shake it over top of the oreo balls. This greatly improves their appearance. :)

1. I love them covered in white chocolate!

2. Oh yum. That really looks like something my mother would LOVE to make! I emailed her the recipe :)

3. Jessica – me too! :)

kilax – I hope your mother likes them!

4. Thanks Megan! Some one from our office made these last year and I never got the recipe. These will be a big hit in our family.

5. GASP!!!!!

Those look soooo good. I saw another blogger making these recently as well!

6. JoAnn – glad I could help! These are definitely some of my favorites :)

7. Yum! Definitely trying these!

Thanks for dropping by my blog! :)

8. thanks for the blog visit–i'm so glad you dropped by, because these cookies look insanely delicious! looking forward to seeing what else you whip up!

9. yum! we are making these this year!

thanks for posting!

and the pictures are incredible!!!!! i LOVE that new camera of yours!

10. Are you serious? These can not be this simple! They look absolutely AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

11. Simply Life – surprising but true :) They don't taste like they were simple to make at all, which is just one of the wonderful things about them :)

12. How do you store them? Fridge?

13. Nevermind…I didn't read all the way through. Thanks for sharing, they look yummy!! Can't wait to try

14. I don't need persuading – I can see that these look totally irresistible! Utterly delicious :)

15. There really is no other way to describe these other than amazing!!!

16. Matt – I'm so glad you found my blog. And I'm glad you eat my cookies. :)

17. Hey Megan!
    Well I am going to try to make the oreo balls for Matt :-) Here goes nothing :)

18. Hey Afton! I bet they'll turn out great. And i"m sure Matt will appreciate it :) Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

19. Great and fun idea of a cookie for all ages. I had better luck mixing the crumb and cream cheese together in my food processor vs by hand. My yield was 50 balls. Thanks for sharing your recipe! happy Holidays.

20. Anne – I'm so glad you liked them! Thanks for stopping back to let me know. Good idea on mixing it all together in the food processor. Makes it even easier :)

21. Hey, this recipe sounds great, just wanted to ask: how many oreos are in the package you use?

22. Hind – I've never counted, but it is just a standard package of oreos.

23. Yes! Thanks for posting this recipe. Cookie exchange next week. =)

24. Missy – I can't believe you remember when my mom made them in college! :) I hope they turn out as good as you remember :)

25. I have made these with white chocolate before and everybody loved them.

26. You just can't go wrong with Oreos! Yum.

27. Megan these look incredible!

28. OMG these are to die for!! I made them last night to add to my cookie tray and I'm so glad I did!! They are like little oreo cheesecake bites…so delicious! And rich!! I had some vanilla candy melts left over from a cake I had done, so I used those to coat and then used mini choco chips sprinkled on top as you did in your cookie dough bite balls. They look so cute and taste even better. I love your blog and will be making more and more goodies from it!! Thanks so much!

29. Keyl and LaRae – Thanks so much for your comment! I'm so glad you liked these – they are my husband's favorites! Yours sound so cute :)

30. Hi Megan!
    Love your site. I had a question about the oreo balls – how far in advance do you think you could make them? I am planning a cocktail party and these would work really well, and am trying to budget how much time I need to make everything. Thanks in advance!

• megan replied: — October 18th, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

They keep for awhile, so you could probably make them a week or two in advance (I know my mom has kept them longer!) They also freeze really well, so I’d say make them as far in advance as you want and freeze them until you need them. Enjoy! :)

31. Hi Megan! I love this idea and will be making a batch of these oreo balls this weekend. I know it says to refrigerate… I was hoping to take them to the office packaged in little treat bags as gifts though.. do you think they would be okay out of the fridge for awhile? Will they melt and turn gooey?

• megan replied: — December 7th, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Yes, they’ll be fine. The chocolate coating keeps them nice and firm. :)

32. Pingback: Candy by rachealpatrolia - Pearltrees

33. Unbelievably good! Thanks for the recipe. We ate them all before coating them in chocolate, they were just that delicious! Maybe next time we’ll get them in chocolate. Thanks for the recipe! We’re trying the peppermint marshmallows tomorrow!

• megan replied: — December 11th, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

I’m glad you liked them! :) I hope the marshmallows turned out well!

34. Hey Megan – just wanted to stop by and say my friends loved these Oreo balls! They didn’t believe they were made by hand, lol. I know this recipe is all over the web, but I first found out about them here, so I have you to thank. :) Love your website and the lovely pictures that help teach beginners like me how to recreate your beautiful treats.

• megan replied: — December 12th, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Thanks Anna, I’m so glad you and your friends liked them! :)

35. Just wondering what kind of chocolate discs you used? What type of chocolate would you suggest? Semi-Sweet or Milk?

• megan replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 6:46 am

I use the chocolate candy melts that you can get from Michaels (or Meijer). I’ve used the regular chocolate or the dark chocolate, both are good. You can always use chocolate chips, melted hershey bars,etc, but you have to be a little more careful melting the chocolate, making sure it doesn’t burn or seize. Good luck! :)

36. Hi, Megan! You have inspired me to make a cookie themed gift for my friends using your cookie dough bites and Oreo balls recipe (both look FANTASTIC!). I’m making 6 boxes and I want each to contain 8 Oreo balls. Would you suggest doubling the recipe? And about how big should I roll them?

• megan replied: — December 20th, 2011 @ 6:15 am

Hi Alessa. You could probably get away with just doing one batch if you need 48 oreo balls, but you would be cutting it close! You could always do 1 1/2 batches – you will just have an extra half a box of oreos laying around. :) I roll them pretty small because they are rich and because they look a lot bigger once you dip them in chocolate. Hopefully the pictures above give you some sort of comparison to how small I usually roll them. It doesn’t really matter though – it’s personal reference :)

37. This looks delicious! I would love if you shared this in my holiday dessert recipes Blog Hop. We’re giving away a prize from Wilton to the blogger with the most “likes”, come check it out! :) http://www.recipelionblog.com/december-blog-hop-holiday-dessert-recipes-giveaway

Sarah @ RecipeLion

38. I was just sharing this recipe with a coworker and she’s super excited about making them. Thinking about oreo balls makes me miss your mom! Give her my best! <3

39. I made these to give to all the teachers (I made over 200)….and they were delicious!! And very well received. People couldn’t believe that they were homemade. Thanks so much!!

• megan replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! Way to go making so many of them – I’m glad they were a hit! :)

40. Just made these and they turned out great! I added a little peppermint extract to the dipping chocolate and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

• megan replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! Great idea on the peppermint extract – I never thought to do that!

41. These are AWESOME! My lil’ ladies and I made original, mint, and berry creme oreo balls today. The berry creme were over-the-top-mom-do-these-have-go-on-the-gift-trays-we-want-to keep-them-all-to-ourselves-good! Thanks so much for a fun, easy, delicous recipe! My girls will be asking for em all year round, I am sure!

• megan replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Thanks for the comment, I’m so glad you liked them! I’ve never tried the berry creme ones – good idea! I think the mint are my favorite :)

42. Did you know that Kraft has another way of doing these? You mix 1 package of instant chocolate pudding with 1/2 cup cold milk for about 2 minutes. You mix that into the crushed up oreos, (36 which is almost the whole package minus3) make the balls, chill for about 15 minutes then dip in the chocolate. Its a good alternative for people who do not like cream cheese and they are awesome too!

43. While these were delicious and quite the hit, they were kind of a pain, to be honest.
    I chilled the dough before rolling it into balls, but it still melted when I rolled them in my palms.
    Any suggestions on how to handle this? I will make them again, but would love to have a less-messy way of doing it.

• megan replied: — December 31st, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Thanks for the comment Dawn, I’m glad you liked them! I don’t remember them being quite so messy, but maybe I’m blocking it out of my mind. My best suggestion is just roll them quickly and refrigerate in the middle if you think the dough needs it.

44. Hi Megan!
    I tried this recipe out and they turned out great! Verrrrrry chocolatey :)
    I do have one question, how “crushed” do the Oreos have to be? Are they supposed to be a little chunky or very fine? I just want to know what the intended outcome is supposed to be.

• megan replied: — February 17th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

I’m so glad you liked these! When I make them I use the food processor to completely crush the Oreos, but however you want to do it is fine :)

45. Pingback: Must. Stop. Spending! « Your Thriftiness

46. Just wanted to know theexpiration ? Thanks for sharing this recipe

• megan replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

Do you mean how long they’ll be good for in the fridge? I’d guess about 2 weeks. My mom keeps them for a long time and we’ve never had any problems. I’d plan on keep them about as long as you’d keep cream cheese in your fridge.

47. I made these with the new WhoNu Chocolate Sandwich Cookies and Low-Fat Cream Cheese. If you haven’t tried these cookies, you should….just like Oreos, but full of vitamins. I got them at Kroger, but I’m sure they are available at most grocery stores and online. Next time I think I would coat with dark chocolate to make them even “healthier”….and maybe add a little Bailys or Kaluha to the filling to make them even yummier!!

• megan replied: — June 14th, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion – glad you liked the oreo balls! :)

48. I made these last weekend and they were a huge hit. Can’t believe something so simple can be so delicious! Thank you, Megan. :)

• megan replied: — November 7th, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! :)

49. OMG!!!! I made these but used the golden Oreo’s with strawberry cream cheese and covered with white chocolate drizzled with pink strawberry flavored chocolate!!! Now going to try with lemon Oreo’s and regular cream cheese!!!

• megan replied: — November 28th, 2012 @ 7:44 am

YUM!! Those sound amazing! I never thought to use the flavored oreos & cream cheese – great idea :)

50. Hi Megan! I’m wondering if you tempered the chocolate or anything like that or just used good quality chocolate? I’m just worried they’ll come out dull/streaky. Thanks!

• megan replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 6:20 am

I generally use the chocolate melting discs you get at the grocery store or michaels, so no need to temper. If you use regular chocolate though, it’s probably a good idea.

51. Hi Megan! I was wondering how many packs of the melting chocolate discs from Michael’s you’d recommend getting? Or just how many ounces of melting chocolate to pick up?

• megan replied: — December 19th, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

You might be OK with one package of melting discs, but I would buy 2 just in case. I usually buy a chocolate one and a white chocolate/vanilla one and do half and half, which is why I’m not positive how far one package will go.

52. Pingback: 2013 Christmas Baking » Positively Angel

53. Hey when you say one packet of cookies what is the sizing of that? roughly how many cookies. There is so many different package types these days

• megan replied: — December 3rd, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

I have a package of oreos in my pantry (of course haha) right now (double stuffed) and the weight is 15.35 oz. I’m not sure if the non-double stuffed ones would be that exact weight, but it should be close. Hope that helps!