Mint Chocolate Puddles

Day 3 of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats

The combination of mint and chocolate always makes me think of Christmas. It’s one of my favorite flavor combinations, and this cookie is no exception. This is a recipe I saw last year around Christmas, but I’d already made way too many cookies by that point. So I did what any rational person would do and immediately added it to my list for this year. And it lived up to my every expectation.

These minty treats consist of a thin chewy chocolate cookie with a melted andes mint “puddle” on top of it. I’m guessing that’s all I would have to say and you would already want to make these. I don’t need to add that the cookie part is soft and fudgy. Or that there is almost more chocolate puddle than cookie. Or that the andes mint actually hardens back up fairly quickly so that you can actually stack them and store them easily. I don’t need to say all that, but I will. Because I can’t stop talking about these cookies. I can already tell they will be a favorite around our house.

Mint Chocolate Puddles

6 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp water
1 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 eggs
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 packages (4.5 oz. each) Andes mints

In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the sugar, butter and water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl and whisk in the egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. Roll cookie dough into walnut sized calls and place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, be careful not to over bake. Immediately press one mint into the top of each cookie. Let sit for 1 minute, then swirl with the back of a spoon to make a pattern to make a pretty green and brown chocolate puddle on top of the cookie.

adapted from Une-deux senses

Click here to see the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats

If you like what you see, you may want to sign up to get free email updates or subscribe via rss. :)

39 Responses to “Mint Chocolate Puddles”

Cindy — December 3, 2010 @ 6:01 am

These look so yummy. I think they may also be a favorite cookie plate addition,

Lisa — December 3, 2010 @ 9:55 am

I love that swirled puddle look on the top. That chocolate mint combo is one of my favorites.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 3, 2010 @ 11:32 am

Yum! These look incredible! I love the mint+chocolate combo :)

Jessica @ How Sweet — December 3, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Now THESE look like my kind of cookie!

Emily — December 3, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I love the name and those looks SO good!

Jenn — December 3, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Is there truly anything better then a chocolate minty puddle??? YUM! These cookies looks fantastic Megan!

Anonymous — December 3, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

Hey Megan! I have a cookie exchange to go to next weekend! I think ill make these! Yum! -amanda stuk

Melanie @ SpareTimeBaker — December 3, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Oh, yum! Anything with Andes Candies is going to be a hit with me!!

Blog is the New Black — December 3, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

Great job, Megan! These look awesome!

Camille — December 3, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

These are gorgeous! The topping so pretty!

Olya Nikol Pishcheva — December 3, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

Looks yummy!! Wanna try these ones) ~

happywhennothungry — December 3, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

These cookies look so yummy! Definitely will have to try :-)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — December 3, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

I have been waiting for day 3 of your cookies! OH MY WORD I want to eat them all, seriously. I LOVE the idea of having a puddle of chocolate/mint on top. It's love in cookie form. :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — December 3, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

{sigh}

these look amazing.

SnoWhite — December 3, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

We make these too — oh, my! I love mint and chocolate together :)

Paul Jennette — December 3, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

Looks so yummy!! Mint and chocolate nothing say Christmas like they do. Great recipe.

Melanie — December 3, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

I've made a version of these before and I agree they are fantastic in every way!

Jennifurla — December 3, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

I love the texture and topping, beautiful cookies really.

Holly — December 3, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

These look UNBELIEVABLE!! My mouth is watering so bad right now! lol YUMM

Stephanie — December 4, 2010 @ 12:52 am

I'm glad you mentioned that they're stackable! Not that I wouldn't make them if they weren't, but it's a total bonus when making tons of cookies for Christmas and looking for ways to store them all!

Brenda — December 4, 2010 @ 1:49 am

Megan, I'm still drooling over your peppermint meltaways and then you go and post these. They really look incredible. I just love mint so am looking forward to more! :o )

Goddess of Baking — December 4, 2010 @ 5:17 am

WOW! those cookies look amazing! I love the chocolate and mint combination! Definately going to make these soon!

Jun — December 4, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

I like cookies to be crunchy, but this is really tempting!

Emily — December 4, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

We LOVED these cookies, Megan! But I have a quick question. I couldn't get my andes mints to swirl like yours. The light green blended very quickly with the chocolate (before I could get it spread out) and the whole topping turned light brown. They still tasted delicious, but weren't quite as pretty. Any tips?

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 4, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

Willa J. – Hey Emily! Glad you liked them. As for the swirls…I'm not sure why mine didn't just turn brown. I didn't swirl them very much, maybe that was it? I just kind of gradually spread out the chocolate to almost the edge of the cookie. Maybe that helped keep the green in tact. At least they tasted good :)

Torviewtoronto — December 5, 2010 @ 2:37 am

delicious cookies beautiful puddles lovely picture

Natalie — December 6, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

i make these frequently, they're my husband's favorite! in fact i'm making them later this week :) yours look so pretty!

Anonymous — December 10, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

Hi Megan,

I made these last weekend and the dough for the cookies was more like brownie batter than cookie dough which seemed odd to me. The cookies ended up super thin and it was hard to spread the chocolate on top without breaking through the cookie. I looked up the original recipe from the link you provided and see that when you halved everything, the flour is not halved correctly. Half of 2 1/2 cups of flour is 1 1/4 cups, not 3/4 cups, which explains probably why my cookies ended up so thin! Thought I'd mention it so you could update the recipe! :)

PS – They were still delicious!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 10, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

Anonymous – Thank you for your comment! I'm so sorry about the recipe. I know how frustrating that is when you buy all the ingredients and spend the time for a new recipe and then they don't turn out right. I feel really bad. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy them. I updated the recipe and thanks again for your comment!

Laura — December 16, 2010 @ 11:49 am

Megan,

I saw these cookies and was getting together with a friend to bake cookies and these seemed like a great option. I had a similar problem as Anonymous… the dough was more like batter. It was also hard for us to tell when the cookies were done. I know you said to not overbake them, but I think we did by accident because they still seemed uncooked in the middle. I found these great Andes Mints Chips though, so I didn't have to unwrap a ton of Andes mints. We still enjoyed them!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 16, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Laura – As I wrote in the previous comment, I originally had the wrong amount of flour in the recipe. I've updated the recipe and printable version with the correct amount. I'm so sorry if this caused your cookies to turn out wrong! I hope you'll try them again with the correct recipe. I'm glad you still enjoyed them!

Jessica B. — January 10, 2011 @ 3:26 am

I made these cookies today and came here to post about how good they tasted (despite being a little bit flatter than those in the pictures) and then I read about the flour measurement issue. I must have printed out the recipe before you made the correction. Regardless, I enjoyed them a lot and this just gives me more incentive to make them again, knowing that they may turn out even better. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 11, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Jessica B. – I'm so glad you liked these! I'm really sorry you ran into the flour issue – hopefully you'll try them again and they will turn out even better! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you liked them :)

Kris Carmichael — November 8, 2011 @ 2:26 am

I found this recipe today and made these tonight- WOW!!! These are my new favorites! So easy to make, and they came out beautifully! Somewhat brownie-like, and SO DELICIOUS straight out of the oven. I wondered about the ‘don’t overbake’ part, because they didn’t *seem* done at first (after 8 minutes), so I left them in an additional two (10 minutes) and even then, I was iffy, but I was determined to follow the directions. So glad I did! I was worried that they would be puffy and flimsy, but after they cooled a bit they were wonderful! I will be making these again, and recommending to friends. Thank you!

• megan replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Thanks for the comment, Kris – I’m so glad you liked them! These are some of our favorites :)

andrea — December 20, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

just wondering…you said to refrigerate them for at least an hour. can i leave them in overnight?

• megan replied: — December 20th, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

Yep, overnight should be fine. Just make sure the dough is covered so it doesn’t dry out. I hope you like them! :)

andrea — December 21, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Thanks! They turned out great! I had to use mint kisses b/c I couldn’t find Andes mints ANYWHERE in the store. They worked, though!

• megan replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I”m so glad they turned out well! Thanks for checking in to update. :)