Caramelized Onion and Rosemary Rolls

Caramelized Onion Rosemary Rolls

Since my love of soup is well documented on this blog, it should come as no surprise that I also love to make homemade bread to go with that soup! I’m always looking for new bread recipes to try, and when I ran across this recipe on foodgawker, I knew right away I wanted to make it. It’s an adaptation of a Pioneer Woman recipe (meaning I was pretty sure it would be good), and it was in the form of dinner rolls. Strangely enough, I had just been thinking I wanted to make dinner rolls.

Caramelized Onion Rosemary Rolls

If you’re going to make dinner rolls, these are the ones you should make. They were exactly what I was looking for. They have a light and fluffy texture and a unique depth of flavor form the caramelized onions and rosemary. (Actually, I burnt my onions and used them anyway, so the unique flavor could have been from that.) I will be making these rolls again and again. Mike liked them, but was initially not a huge fan of the chunks of onions. He didn’t complain after he took his first bite, however, so I will take that as a sign of success. They smell absolutely incredible as they’re baking, and they freeze very well. I froze all but one (of course we had to taste test!) and heated them up day by day to eat with my soup for lunch. Wonderful. :) Make these, you won’t regret it!

Caramelized Onion Rosemary Rolls

1 tablespoon Honey
3 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for coating bowl
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
2 sprigs Rosemary, leaves removed and chopped

Sauté sliced onions and minced garlic in the 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook them until brown and caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

Pour warm water into a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the honey and 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Stir gently with a fork and set aside until mixture is bubbly, 5-10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Stir in the onions, and rosemary. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir gently until dough is combined. It will be very sticky.

Generously flour a flat surface. Turn the dough onto your table and knead 15 to 20 times, adding flour generously to make it easier to handle. You might need to add quite a bit of extra flour. Add enough that it is able to be kneaded, but not too much - you want to the dough to still be somewhat sticky. Drizzle olive oil in a separate bowl and then add your ball of dough, turning to coat. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

When the dough has doubled in size, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Divide dough into twelve portions, forming each into a rough round shape. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Allow to rise for 15 to 20 minutes. Bake the rolls for 18 to 20 minutes or until brown.

These freeze very well.

adapted, slightly, from The Pioneer Woman Cooks, as seen on Simply Scratch

32 Responses to “Caramelized Onion and Rosemary Rolls”

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 14, 2011 @ 3:23 am

Oh how I love caramelized onions!

smalltownoven — January 14, 2011 @ 4:56 am

Bread is certainly something I want to tackle this year. This sounds wonderful!

Simply Life — January 14, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Oh I'm definitely saving this recipe -these look great!

Jenn — January 14, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I could eat my weight in bread every day! The crustier the bread, the better…the warmer the bread the better…the fact that it has rosemary in it… BETTER!!!

Camille — January 14, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Gorgeous! There is nothing in the world better than homemade bread… nothing!

Maria — January 14, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Onions and rosemary? I HAVE to try these! Yum!

happywhennothungry — January 14, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Wow these rolls look and sound amazing! I love how fluffy they are. Caramelized onions and rosemary is such a delicious combo too. Will def have to try!

Chef Dennis — January 14, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

what a great combination of flavors Megan! I do love caramelized onions, and your rolls look like they would go perfectly with any soup!
    Cheers
    Dennis

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — January 14, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

These rolls sound incredible. I would have never of thought to put caramelized onions in rolls, what a great idea. And the addition of the rosemary sounds wonderful. I absolutely must make these! :)

Lisa — January 14, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

These rolls sound so flavorful. There's just nothing as good as homemade bread.

Adora's Box — January 14, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

That does look and sound good. Bread is good on its own but great when baked with other ingredients. Love your flavour combination.

Tiffany — January 14, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

Oh Megan, these look great. The caramelized onions sound great!

Noelle — January 14, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Delicious! I am totally making these! I have all the ingredients and all I have been wanting to make is bread. Thanks!!

Tracy — January 14, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

What a great savory roll! I love anything with rosemary.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen — January 14, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

Anything with caramelized onions is a hit with me and these sound delicious! I hope to try them soon!

sara @ CaffeIna — January 14, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

Oh this would go so well with the many soups I'm having these days! And caramelized onions…who can say no?

Sandra — January 14, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

Those look so good! I am totally into bread rolls and these are just perfect!!!

Torviewtoronto — January 15, 2011 @ 1:22 am

delicious looks yummy

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — January 15, 2011 @ 2:09 am

These look great! I wouldn't be so sure of the onions either, but the fact that they are carmelized might help me love them!!! They are so pretty!

Jessica @ bake me away! — January 15, 2011 @ 6:04 am

Oh, YUM. Bread and onions are two of my favorite things so these should definitely be in my future!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — January 16, 2011 @ 2:16 am

Megan, excellent flavor combo for these rolls & I like the touch of honey too!

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 16, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

Yumm. Love caramelized onions!

Medifast Coupon — January 16, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

Caramelized onion in a roll is a fantastic flavour to pair with rosemary. The textures and flavours are abundant here, yet all within one roll. Genius, well done.

Alina — January 17, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I want to make dinner rolls!:) Sounds like they are not very difficult to make, and the idea of freezing them really attracts me. The smell of rosemary and caramelized onions must be heavenly. Megan, do you know how much fresh yeast I should use instead of dry yeast? I'm not really used to working with dry yeast.

CaSaundraLeigh — January 18, 2011 @ 12:41 am

Carmelized onions can be a bit tricky–just because you pretty much have to stand over them..usually I end up leaving the kitchen, resulting in burning them haha so you're not the only one! Glad the rolls still turned out–they sound delish!

Maranda — January 18, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

Oh my goodness! I love caramelized onions. I love rosemary. And I love dinner rolls. This is a total win! Thanks for sharing!

Manuela — January 25, 2011 @ 2:54 am

Wow! Very interesting combination of flavors! Would love to taste one!!!

Bluebell317 — January 25, 2011 @ 3:08 am

Wow…these look unbelievable. Rosemary is definitely one of my favorite ingredients, so you can bet I'll be trying these soon!

Hilary Cable — March 20, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Yummy! I cheated and used the bread machine whip up the dough. They're hanging out in the fridge rising as we speak. Delish!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — March 29, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

Hilary – I hope these turned out well for you – great idea letting the bread machine do the work!

Joann J — July 25, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

Another delicious bread recipe. The onion and garlic cook down to a wonderful mellow flavor. Again I took the rolls to my Wednesday carry-in and everyone loved them. Went great with chicken salad, or, with my fave- a good spinach salad with warm vinaigrette. Thanks for these great recipes.

ATasteOfMadness — December 27, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Wow, this sounds fantastic!! I was trying to look for a roll recipe, this is perfect!