Copycat Shamrock Shakes

It’s March, and if you’ve been to a McDonald’s in the past month you  know what that means: Shamrock Shakes are back! I love those minty green shakes and always make sure to buy one before they disappear for another year. But last week I realized just how easy it would be to make my own! So this is my Works for Me Wednesday tip for you: make your own shamrock shakes! It really couldn’t be easier, and the minty creamy taste is wonderful.

*Note: The milkshake pictured above really was green. The setting sun and poor light combined with my feeling that eating the milkshake before it melted was more important than a good picture contributed to the issue.

Copycat Shamrock Shakes

2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 1/4 cups 2% milk
1/4 tsp mint extract
green food coloring

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.

from Food.com

26 Responses to “Copycat Shamrock Shakes”

mitzi @ my nikon eats food — March 9, 2011 @ 5:19 am

i've never seen those shamrock shakes at mcdonalds! looks yummy though =)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 9, 2011 @ 11:18 am

I've never had a shamrock shake but I'd love to make your version!

Simply Life — March 9, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Great idea! what a perfect spring treat!

Anonymous — March 9, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Oh!!! I love Shamrock Shakes! We RARELY – like once a year – go to McD's to eat. But my husband is always glad to oblige me one shamrock shake a year!!! Thanks!!! How silly of me to shell out $2-$3 bucks!
    Hopped over from WFMW. I will be back though – to my waist's detriment I'm sure!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 9, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Love a minty shake! I bet you could also make it with a splash of Bailey's instead of mint for an Irish cream flavor!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 9, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Bonnie — March 9, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

THANK YOU for posting this! I LOVE Shamrock Shakes and usually get one every year. I haven't stopped to get one yet this year, so just in case I forget, at least I can make my own!! :)

Megan — March 9, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

My daughter's favorite.

Elle — March 9, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Oh! My favorite March treat! Thanks for the reminder–and if I forget, now I can make my own!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — March 9, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

Oh boy. As if having a McDonalds right across the stret wasn't bad enough! I'm in trouble…

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — March 9, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

ugh…*street* Sorry–I had to correct myself, I HATE typos!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — March 9, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Nothing better than a minty shake!! I can see myself adding an oreo or two into the blender as well…I'm so naughty!! hehe

marla — March 9, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Megan, I bet this shake is delish! Love mint over here :)

Happy When Not Hungry — March 9, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

Shamrock Shakes are the best!!! Such a simple recipe. I will definitely be making this weekend!

Michael Shea — March 10, 2011 @ 3:21 am

Is this St. Patrick's day or St. Patricia's day?

WHERE'S THE ALCOHOL?

baking.serendipity — March 10, 2011 @ 3:39 am

High five for this make your own for sure!

smalltownoven — March 10, 2011 @ 4:21 am

People seem to rave about this shamrock shake (as well as green beer) but I've never tried it (same for the beer)! I do love the flavor of mint though so I'm sure I'd love this.

Kim — March 10, 2011 @ 11:38 am

I haven't thought about a Shamrock Shake in 25 years. Wasn't there a Grimace and Hamburgular too? Am I dating myself?? I feel old. I think I'll go make myself a Shamrock Shake :)

Julie M. — March 10, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Just the word shake makes me smile. :) I adore ice cream shakes of any and all flavors! I don't think I've had a McDonalds shake since I was a kid. I'm thinking it's time to change that and whip up one of these beauties!

Jenn — March 10, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I look forward to those shakes every year!!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — March 10, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Bless you! I've been looking for a recipe for these shakes. I go to McDonald's once a year just to get one, but I like the idea of making my own at home.

Evan @swEEts — March 10, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

OKay, am I a horrible person? I don't think I've ever had a shamrock shake!?! Aaah. I think I need to make these immediately!

The Cilantropist — March 10, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

I'm with you, that shamrock shake is my secret vice around st. pattys day, but I should definitely make one at home! Then I could have one whenever I wanted! ;)

Barbara — March 10, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

I haven't been to McDonald's in so long I didn't even know they served Shamrock Shakes! :)

It looks good, Megan..there is a slight green tint to it.

Kankana — March 11, 2011 @ 1:12 am

i love that drink ! and now that you mention … it's been really long since I've been to McD!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 12, 2011 @ 2:13 am

I saw the Shamrock Shake when my friends and I stopped at McDonald's for a bathroom break during our road trip this week, but I had no idea what it was! I bet your version is much more delicious, and I can't wait to try it out!