Mulled Apple Cider

Mulled Apple Cider

Every year around this time I start craving caramel apple cider from Starbucks. If you haven’t tried it, you’re definitely missing out. It tastes like apple pie in a cup! We like to buy apple cider from the local farm market to drink at home, but of course it never compares to the Starbucks version. When I ran across this recipe on Pinterest and saw that it claimed to re-create what you get at Starbucks, I knew I had to click over and try it out. I’m so glad I did because this stuff is amazing. I won’t go so far to say it’s as good as┬áthe Starbucks version, but it’s pretty close! The recipe calls for cinnamon syrup, which I didn’t have, so I was definitely missing a component. The cider combined with the spices, whipped cream and caramel was pretty good on its own, though! Give it a try while it’s still apple cider season and let me know how you think it compares.

Mulled Apple Cider

Mulled Apple Cider

Yield: Serves 4-6

4-6 C 100% apple juice or cider
1-2 cinnamon sticks
4-6 whole cloves
1-2 pinches nutmeg
4 Tbsp cinnamon syrup (optional)
whipped cream
caramel syrup

Combine juice or cider and spices together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain spices and add cinnamon syrup, if using. Portion into mugs and top with whipped cream and caramel syrup

21 Responses to “Mulled Apple Cider”

Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} — November 9, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Oh no, now you’ve convinced me to try the Starbucks caramel apple cider that’s I’ve resisted until now (I’m sure it’s overloaded with sugar).
    Your version sounds like the perfect fall drink. yummmmmm

• megan replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

you definitely need to try the Starbucks version! Very sugary, but seriously like apple pie in a cup.

Nutmeg Nanny — November 9, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

Whoa…this looks amazing! I didn’t even know Starbucks sold cider! I gotta make this at home. I will be in heaven!

Jessica @ How Sweet — November 10, 2011 @ 6:49 am

I can practically smell this through my screen… love it!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 10, 2011 @ 7:08 am

This looks great! My husband always gets it from Starbucks, I never do b/c I always get something w/ caffeine…but his always smells amazing!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun — November 10, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Just when I thought a steaming mug of apple cider couldn’t get any better…
    Caramel for the win! :)

Cookbook Queen — November 10, 2011 @ 7:59 am

I love apple cider!!! I’ve never made it homemade and this version looks too good to pass up!!

Julie at Burnt Carrots — November 10, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Yummy! Apple cider reminds me of my childhood. Your recipe looks great and will have to try it. Have you ever tried the salted hot chocolate from Starbucks? Its to die for!

• megan replied: — November 10th, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

I haven’t tried it, but now I really want to!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) — November 10, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I’d like a glass of that!

Jen — November 10, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I make these every winter. Not quite as good as Starbucks but close enough.

Carrie Pacini — November 10, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I’ve been warming up apple cider on the stove top but I love the idea of adding whipped cream and a caramel syrup! Can’t wait to try your version out!

Jess — November 10, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Yum! This is so simple yet it looks so delicious. I can’t wait to try it!

brandi — November 11, 2011 @ 10:34 am

ooh, i’ve never put whipped cream on my apple cider! that’s a good idea.

Eliana — November 15, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This definitely looks like it’s worth a try. Really like the added touch of caramel on top.

Savannah Beginnings — November 22, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I am really enjoying the apple recipes on your site. I love apples and how many ways you can eat and drink them. Thanks for sharing! I love the salted caramel mocha from SBUX but I admit it is a ridiculous amount of sugar in a cup! Yum!

savannahbeginnings.wordpress.com

Christina — October 15, 2012 @ 2:20 pm

I always hated cider but will occasionally get the Starbucks cider, I don’t know why but thats the only one I like. It is good and they sell it all year! You can actually purchase their cinnamon dolce syrup at the stores if you want more authenticity. I will have to try to make this some time.

Ted — September 13, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Where do you find Cinnamon syrup?

• megan replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 9:59 am

We can get it at World Market around here, or it may be seasonal with the other coffee syrups in the grocery store. You can also, always buy it on Amazon. I’ve included a link to the Starbucks cinnamon dolce syrup on amazon.

Melinda Muir — September 13, 2013 @ 10:53 am

You can make your own cinnamon syrup. Make a simple sugar syrup and put cinnamon in it and the cool. Where do you live? I just found some that was bottled at a food supply house.

flappy bird game download — March 29, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been
    using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and
    am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard very good
    things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my
    wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!