Mango Ice Cream

Mango Ice Cream

I have quickly become obsessed with mangoes. Whole Foods was nice enough to send me an entire case of Ataulfo mangoes and I can’t get enough of them! They are so sweet and their texture can only be described as buttery. Mike, who incidentally claims he has never had a mango before, is a big fan as well.

As soon as the mangoes arrived on my doorstep, I knew I wanted to try mango ice cream. It just sounded so refreshing! Happily, it was everything I hoped it would be. It was smooth and creamy, perfectly sweet, and chock full of mango flavor.  I’m not surprised the mango flavor was so prominent, since the ice cream takes a full 2 cups of mango puree. The hardest part of this whole process was peeling and chopping the mangoes! It was definitely worth it though. And somehow I ended up with extra mango puree, which I turned into mango lemonade. I’ll be sharing that recipe soon, but in the meantime, you’ve got to try this mango ice cream. I think it’s going to be a staple for us this summer!

*Note: Check back tomorrow to try to win your own case of mangoes from Whole Foods!

Mango Ice Cream

Mango Ice Cream

2 cups mango puree that has been strained through a fine mesh strainer to remove the fibers
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup half and half
1 Tbsp lime juice

Combine the the mango puree and the sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Place in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours.

Combine the cream, half and half, lime juice, pulp & sugar mix and transfer to an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the instructions of the ice cream maker.

from eCurry

11 Responses to “Mango Ice Cream”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 10, 2012 @ 10:58 pm

I used to make mango ice cream a few years ago. Must get back to that. I loveeee mango and bake and cook with it all the time. Your photos are gorgeous!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 10, 2012 @ 11:36 pm

I really need to invest in the KitchenAid ice cream attachment!

Blog is the New Black — April 11, 2012 @ 5:29 am

OK< I keep saying this, but I REALLY need to start using my ice cream maker…

Lisa P — April 11, 2012 @ 10:45 am

About how many mangoes do you need for that much puree?

• megan replied: — April 11th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I knew as soon as I realized that I didn’t count my mangoes that someone was going to ask this question. I would estimate about 6-8 mangoes, but it really depends on the size of them. I mis-guessed and ended up with too much puree, which is why I made mango lemonade. I would still guess more rather than less, and if you end up with extra, use it in smoothies, freeze it for later, etc.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — April 11, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

this sounds wonderful! i love mangoes. :) this has convinced me that i NEED an ice cream maker.

Jen @ TheUnProcessed Kitchen — April 11, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

It’s me, BigBinder :) This is SO awesome – we made like a mango sorbet thing last year after having it at an Indian restaurant. My son was on a mission to make it – and we got pretty close! I’m thinking we will try this next :)

Sheila — April 15, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Meghan I just found out about your site from Rachel Gurk. I love it! Yeah another GR food blogger! I have a great Mango Chicken recipe if you are looking for something savory. I agree mangoes can get a bit slippery when prepping

Alli — December 29, 2013 @ 12:36 am

Just wondering what is half and half?
    I am from Australia.

• megan replied: — December 30th, 2013 @ 10:00 am

It’s a mixture of cream and milk. It’s not actually half of each though. If you do a google search, I think you might be able to find the exact measurements of cream and milk to be able to substitute. :)

Rocky Road Ice Cream, Plus an ICE CREAM Recipe Round-Up | The Texan New Yorker — May 2, 2014 @ 7:34 am

[...] 39. Lime Zest Ice Cream – girlichef 40. Malted Chocolate Ice Cream – The Texan New Yorker 41. Mango Ice Cream – What Megan’s Making 42. Maple Gingerbread Cookie Dough Ice Cream – Tracey’s Culinary [...]