Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

I really don’t think you can go wrong with something called Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark. Although, I did my best to mess it up – if you look closely at the pictures you can tell that the caramel part of the bark looks more like a grainy mess than actual caramel.  This was my first time ever making caramel and I definitely got it wrong. I did better the second time I made this, but unfortunately didn’t think to re-take the pictures. If you are having trouble with the caramel, watch this video and it should help. :)

However… even with grainy caramel, this still tasted amazing!  Seriously – don’t be afraid of messing it up because no matter what, it will taste good. I just told people it was supposed to be all sugary and wonderful, and no one questioned it.  If you are big into sweet and salty desserts, you will not be able to stop eating this! Enjoy :)

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

1/2 bag of mini pretzel twists
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 bag of chocolate chips
Sea salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and lay a single layer of pretzels down.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and the brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Let it boil gently (without stirring) just until it starts to stick to the bottom and it forms a nice smooth caramel. Let it bubble a little and get really thick.(If this confuses you, try watching this video. The instructions are a little different, but it seems to work)

Remove from heat and pour evenly over the top of the pretzels. Put in the oven for five minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top. Put it back in the oven for 1 minute, then spread the chocolate chips around with a spatula until mostly melted. Sprinkle generously with salt.

Let cool on completely. If the chocolate doesn't firm up, place it in the refrigerator until it does. Break it up into uneven chunks with your hands and serve.

12 Days of Christmas Treats 2012 from What Megan's Making

Want to see all 12 days of Christmas Treats? Click Here :)

18 Responses to “Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark”

Kip Smith — December 9, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I can just taste this now! I know I would not be able to resist it!!

Blog is the New Black — December 9, 2012 @ 10:12 am

This sounds great- love the idea of salted caramel!!

Karly — December 9, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Yum! I love how easy bark is!

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog — December 9, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Oh yum! I’ve made this before with saltine crackers, but never with pretzels. I’m going to have to try this version.
    I have had a similar problem with the caramel. One time I got it exactly right and it was amazing! But other times it’s been kind of grainy – but still delicious like you said :)

• megan replied: — December 10th, 2012 @ 6:47 am

Glad to know I’m not the only one with a caramel problem. The most recent batch (yes, I’ve made multiple batches haha) turned out not grainy at all – hopefully I can reproduce that in the future :)

Danielle — December 10, 2012 @ 9:56 am

I made this this weekend too. I was worried about the graininess of the caramel as well, but like you said, it’s sugar and chocolate, it’s going to taste good!

joanna — December 10, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Is it really 2 sticks of butter with 1 cup brown sugar? Most recipes call for 1 stick of butter per cup of sugar, like the saltine toffee recipe…want to make this as it’s a bit easier than the way I usually make caramel pretzel bark, but I wanted to be sure that is the right amount – thanks!!!

• megan replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 6:23 am

That’s what the original recipe called for, but I don’t think it’s a hard and fast type of recipe. If you’ve successfully used your ratios for caramel in the past, I’d say go for it. The end result is going to be good, no matter what.

linda — December 11, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Oh my gosh are these good!!!!. I have never made caramel sauce before and mine turned out perfectly I did watch the video and used a spatula to stir and I think it is better than using a spoon.

• megan replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 6:15 am

Oh good job! That video was definitely helpful, don’t you think? Glad you liked this recipe :)

Dana — December 12, 2012 @ 11:28 am

Maybe the graininess problem was from not boiling the butter/sugar mixture long enough? This is just like the saltine toffee cookies recipe I’ve made, which says to boil the butter/sugar mixture for a full 3 minutes (mixture should be bubbling the whole time). This is what I do and have never had a problem with the caramel having a grainy texture. I need to try this version with the pretzels. :)

• megan replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I read that somewhere too, and you might be right. I also read the graininess can come from cooking at too high a temperature for too long, so it could be either haha. I’ll have to try the 3 minute boiling next time – thanks!

Treats for DH's squadron...need recipes! — December 13, 2012 @ 9:26 am

[...] [...]

Quiltlover — December 16, 2012 @ 9:35 am

I want to make these. I have all the ingredients, except I only have 1/2 bag of choco chips. Do you think this will be enough, or should I wait?!!

• megan replied: — December 16th, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

I would just cut the recipe in half… You definitely want to have enough chocolate :)

Robbyn Bray — August 29, 2013 @ 4:49 am

What size is the bag of pretzels, they come in many sizes, and what size is the jelly roll pan? Thanks

Susie — September 11, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

This is probably stupid, but I’m gonna ask anyway! What kind of chocolate chips? Semi-sweet or milk chocolate?

Liz — September 21, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

This is great with white chocolate chips or a mixture of both