Homemade Pretzel Dogs

Homemade Pretzel Dogs

I’ve been dreaming of homemade pretzel dogs for at least a month now. Mike and I grabbed a couple pretzel dogs from a stand in the mall one day while we were out doing some Christmas shopping, and all of a sudden it hit me – Hey, I could make these myself! It took me awhile to get around to it, but these homemade pretzel dogs were definitely worth the wait. The concept is pretty simple – just pretzel dough wrapped around a hot dog, but the end result is so good! Especially when eaten fresh out of the oven.

If you are a soft pretzel fan, you will love these. And please don’t be intimidated by making a yeast dough. This dough comes together very easily and is super soft and easy to work with. Once you wrap the dough around the hot dog, all it takes is a quick baking soda boil and a short bake in the oven, and you’ve got delicious homemade pretzel dogs ready to eat. You could even cut the hot dogs in half and make mini versions. How cute would that be? I hope you try this one – we loved it!

Homemade Pretzel Dogs

Homemade Pretzel Dogs

Yield: 8 pretzel dogs

Prep Time: 1 hour 30 min

Cook Time: 15 min

Total Time: 1 hour 45 min

1½ cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
4½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Coarse Sea salt, for sprinkling

Combine the water, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.

Add the flour, salt, and butter. Mix with the dough hook on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside. In a large pot, bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil.

Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a rope that's about 24-inches long. Starting at one end, wrap the dough around the hot dog, pinching each end together so that it's sealed. Place onto the pan and repeat with the remaining dough and hot dogs.

Place the pretzel dogs into the boiling water two at a time and boil for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat slotted spatula. Return the boiled pretzel dogs to the pan, brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with the sea salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

from Alton Brown, as seen on Brown Eyed Baker

linked to I’m lovin’ it

26 Responses to “Homemade Pretzel Dogs”

Madison — January 18, 2013 @ 6:53 am

YUM! I am definitely craving these puppies now! It combines ballpark food into 1 delicious treat. Thanks for sharing!

danielle — January 18, 2013 @ 8:37 am

Yum! These look fantastic!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 18, 2013 @ 8:52 am

These are a secret guilty pleasure of mine :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 18, 2013 @ 9:25 am

i won’t be able to stop thinking about pretzel dogs all day now megan. OMG. I need one of these. they are going to be SO popular for your website – i mean who (besides a veggie) wouldn’t go crazy for these!!

Julia — January 18, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I am a huge fan of homemade pretzels & the idea of putting a hot dog in them sounds extra delicious! Great idea!

Lisa — January 18, 2013 @ 9:34 am

these look sooo amazing! I so wish someone would send these to me…because yeast does intimidate me AND i dont have a stand up mixer!

• megan replied: — January 18th, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

Don’t let it intimidate you! And you can totally mix it with a wooden spoon in a bowl, then knead by hand. No excuses ;)

Nicole @ Healthy Way to Cook — January 18, 2013 @ 9:57 am

Um, YUM. These look amazing! Definitely want to try this recipe :)

Ally — January 18, 2013 @ 10:01 am

So fun!! Am hoping to make these for the boys over the long weekend. Thank you for sharing. :)

Yvonne @ bitter baker — January 18, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Mmmm! I love soft pretzels, and I love hot dogs! What a perfect snack!!

Karly — January 18, 2013 @ 11:41 am

Oh, man. I can not find my yeast anywhere. I just bought a new jar and I think it fell out of the bag or something. So sad, because I would totally make these for lunch today! Yum!

Ashley - baker by nature — January 18, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Yes yes yes: these are brilliant! Totally putting these on my Super Bowl party menu.

Cassie — January 18, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

I’ve been waiting for these since I saw them on Instagram yesterday. they look so good, Megan!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — January 18, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

What fun! Kiddos big & small will enjoy these :)

Shea Goldstein — January 20, 2013 @ 9:33 am

These look so fun! And delicious!

Leigh Anne @Yourhomebasedmom — January 20, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

These look so fun and yummy! Kids would love them and so would I!
    I just started a new Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party on my blog this week – would love to have you stop by and share! http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party/

Sandra — January 21, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

These look so yummy! I have bread flour I need to use up can I use it for this recipe?

• megan replied: — January 22nd, 2013 @ 9:37 am

You know, I’m not actually sure if you could use bread flour. It would certainly be worth trying! I think it would be fine, maybe the pretzel part would just be a bit lighter? I don’t have enough experience swapping to be sure, but I say go for it!

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — January 22, 2013 @ 10:36 am

Oh my gosh I think my family would go crazy for these!

(ways to distract me from the cold)(real life) — January 22, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

[...] think I want to eat this during the Super Bowl. And most days, I don’t even like hot [...]

Sandra — January 26, 2013 @ 8:05 am

So as I made these my two younger boys bounced in the kitchen and decided to “help”.Needless to say they looked not as pretty as yours but we were actually surprised that they tasted really good. Thanks for the recipe and the mess….:)

• megan replied: — January 26th, 2013 @ 9:26 am

So glad you liked them! How fun that your kids could participate as well. and sorry about the mess… :)

life, everyday (week five) — February 4, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

[...] Homemade pretzel dogs. I was so excited to make these successfully and independently! Also…I might have eaten Super Bowl food all week. [...]

Kristina P. — February 11, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

My daughter has become a very picky eater and is only eating hot dogs. I’ve been looking for a good home recipe for these so that there is a little more to her meal. Thank you so much for this!

Homemade German Pretzels - Amanda's Cookin' — February 17, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

[...] & Cheese Pretzel Roll Sandwiches Bretzel Rolls (Pretzel Sandwich Rolls) Homemade Pretzel Dogs – What Megan’s Making Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels – Two Peas and Their [...]

Homemade Pretzel Dogs | — March 13, 2013 @ 2:32 am