Works for Me Wednesday – Cookie Decorating

Decorated Cookies

I’ve set a goal for myself to learn to decorate cookies. If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I basically have zero artistic ability (exhibit one).¬† And yet, when I see the beautiful creations that my blog friends have made (exhibits two, three, four), I can’t help but want to learn. So with the help of some talented cookie decorators out there in the blog world, I’m teaching myself. And I’m not very good at it. But in case any one else is interested in learning to decorate cookies, this is what works for me.

Works for Me Wednesday

The biggest thing that gave me the confidence to start was the video tutorials on the University of Cookie website. I had no idea where to begin and words like “outline”, “flooding”, and “royal icing” inspired more fear than excitement. Start in their basics section and you’ll find everything you need to start making beautiful cookies. For the actual recipe, I’ve been using the cookie and icing recipe from Amanda (I am Baker). It’s really easy to throw together, the cookies taste great, and I always have everything I need already in my kitchen. I’ve also been stealing her decorating¬†ideas. This lady is talented! I can’t seem to come up with designs of my own, so I’ve been practicing with hers. Although I think I have a long way to go.

I am Baker Cookies

Amanda’s Cookies

Baby Shower Cookies

My cookies – clearly I still need a little practice.

This is only my second attempt at this type of decorating, and you might not believe it, but this is definitely an improvement over the last time. I plan to keep practicing and my goal is to make beautiful wedding cookies for my sister-in-law’s bridal shower. I’ll try to keep you updated on the progress…unless I’m embarrassed by it, in which case, I’ll just quietly forget that I ever brought up this topic.

Good luck, and let me know if you’ve ever tried this type of cookie decorating!

If you like what you see, you may want to sign up to get free email updates or subscribe via rss. :)

35 Responses to “Works for Me Wednesday – Cookie Decorating”

Danielle — October 13, 2010 @ 3:18 am

Wow.. Your cookies look great! It looks like you've been decorating them for a long time.

Katie — October 13, 2010 @ 4:36 am

I often wish I had the cookie-decorating ability as well! If only I had time to experiment with cookies and icing all day every day!

Jessica @ bake me away! — October 13, 2010 @ 5:46 am

Aww, I think you're being too hard on yourself…your cookies look great! I definitely need a lot of practice in that area, so thanks for the links. :)

Sarah Lou — October 13, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I have been in a sugar cookie mood of late! I have to say yours look darling! im a huge fan of dots on cookies!!! if yours look that great after 2 maybe there is hope for me yet.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 13, 2010 @ 9:54 am

They look pretty good! i am checking out that website to get help myself

kim — October 13, 2010 @ 10:01 am

You've Come A Long Way Baby! I love the white on white dots. Much better than I could ever do.

Brenda — October 13, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

Megan, you did an amazing job!!!! Holy smokes, you should see my decorating abilities. I don't have any which is why you'll never see them, lol. Excellent job!

megan — October 13, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

You guys are seriously so kind! Your comments have made my day :) Seriously though, I don't think they're terrible, but I know I could definitely do better. Which is why I plan on practicing. But thank you – you've given me hope :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — October 13, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

Amanda — October 13, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

This is only your SECOND attemopt?? If only I could share with you my second attempt… you would know just how naturally gifted you are!! Love your cookies!! I hope you keep baking and baking and baking nd I cant wait to see more!

Blessings-
    AManda

Anonymous — October 13, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

Megan…the cookies were wonderful!! I ate two of them yesterday, but I was holding back. I could have eaten 10 of them!! They were so good!!! :-) So good to see you, we have to get together again!

Heather :-)

Olya Nikol Pishcheva — October 13, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

This looks amazing!!! I wish I could do something like this… aahh.. looks very cool ~

bridget {bake at 350} — October 13, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

I love these! I'm with Amanda…you have natural talent! It took me YEARS to learn to make them! :)

A Cooks Quest — October 13, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Beautiful! I just did some for my sister's baby shower but I need to try some different methods. Thanks for sharing these!!

sara @ CaffeIna — October 13, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

congratulations! you did an amazing job. I also wish I was better at decorating. They say it takes a lot of practice. Maybe I should start setting aside 1 hour of my week for that :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — October 13, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Megan your cookies look wonderful! Don't be so hard on yourself, your decorating skills are great! I can't wait to see what your cookies look like after you've had some more practice because you're quite talented. :)

Chief Family Officer — October 13, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

Thanks for stopping by Chief Family Officer – I just had to see what you're up to this week and it's amazing! I think you're being too hard on yourself, your cookies are beautiful – keep us updated!

Maranda — October 13, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Great job!!! For a second time I think they look awesome! I recently made some decorated sugar cookies with the Daring Bakers and it was an intense process so I feel ya girl! I'm impressed!

Caitlin — October 13, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

I think these look great! My artistic abilities when it comes to baking hit the limit at a smiley face pb&j.

Baking Junkie — October 13, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

I think those cookies look great! I also have ZERO artistic ability and don't even think I could draw a straight line with icing, but I think in the future I might just give it a try. Keep the pictures coming!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — October 14, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

Are you kidding? Those are awesome! I'm not really the creative type or the decorating type. Even as a kid I was more interested that eating the icing than decorating with it.
    This is something that my sister would totally be into. I'll have to send her this link.

blackbookkitchendiaries — October 14, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

hi megan, i think your cookies look so pretty. great job:)

Heather — October 14, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

Megan, I think yours look great! Royal icing-related cookie decorating is something I'm terrified of, but know I should really attempt. This gives me confidence. :)

Claudia — October 14, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

There is no way I could make cookies come out that pretty. You've sent me on a new mission – brava Megan – they're beautiful and enticing.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 14, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

Your cookies look beautiful! This is a skill that I'd love to work on, but like you, feel a teensy bit intimidated by it! Maybe I will follow your lead…

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 14, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

Your cookies look wonderful!! You are doing an awesome job. Just beware… Once you start cookie decorating, you will become addicted! Don't say I didn't warn you :)

megan — October 15, 2010 @ 1:57 am

Jen – Too late – I think I'm already addicted…

megan @ whatmegansmaking — October 15, 2010 @ 1:57 am

Jen – Too late – I think I'm already addicted…

Melissa @ Made in Melissa's Kitchen — October 16, 2010 @ 12:19 am

Oh my gosh! I never would have guessed that you are new to royal icing! Your cookies look great!

Melissa @ Made in Melissa's Kitchen — October 16, 2010 @ 12:19 am

CaSaundraLeigh — October 18, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

I've always had the desire to learn to decorate cookies in a more "stylish" fashion.. Yours turned out fabulous. I think I may try it out with Halloween cookies!

Anne — October 22, 2010 @ 2:39 am

Jen is right – cookie decorating is totally addicting! I love it but it took some practice before I felt confident enough to display my cookies and now I have a small but growing business. Good luck!

Eliana — October 22, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

you need to stop being so hard on yourself because I think your cookies look awesome!!!

Chrisgelica — November 10, 2010 @ 6:17 am

They came out cute! Good job!

C.Boo — November 10, 2010 @ 6:17 am

They came out cute! Good job!