Buttermilk Waffles

Buttermilk Waffles

I’ve always loved waffles. Every Sunday growing up, our after-church lunch was a weekly rotation of pancakes, waffles or French toast. At least it was supposed to be a rotation. My mom always claimed that French toast and pancakes were easier to make than waffles, so even though I lobbied for waffles every single week, we just didn’t have them as often as I liked. But now that I’m out on my own, cooking for myself (and Mike), I can have them as often as I want. :)

Buttermilk Waffles

We love having breakfast for dinner a few times a month, and this is one of our favorites. It’s not the healthiest option, but I figure if we pair it with a random vegetable on the side it all works out.  If you’re not into that sort of thing, these waffles would make a spectacular weekend breakfast. They’re perfectly crispy and come from the tried and true recipe my mom made for all those years. While French toast might be a little simpler to throw together, these waffles are not complicated at all and any extra work is totally worth it.  Plus, now that you know you can freeze buttermilk, you have no excuse not to make these! :)

Buttermilk Waffles

Buttermilk Waffles

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp shortening

Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs; beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron. Bake until the waffle maker indicates it the waffle is cooked through. Remove waffle carefully. Serve with butter and syrup.

from the 1972 Betty Crocker Cookbook

33 Responses to “Buttermilk Waffles”

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen — January 21, 2011 @ 3:05 am

These are beautiful. I love breakfast for dinner (with or without the healthy vegetable side!).

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 21, 2011 @ 3:47 am

These waffles look perfect! They may be making an appearance this weekend instead of pancakes.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 21, 2011 @ 4:01 am

Lovely waffles! I don't have a waffle maker, but I think it is high time that I bought one!!

Lisa — January 21, 2011 @ 4:14 am

Those waffles look so golden and crunchy, absolutely perfect. I would choose these over pancakes any day.

Camille — January 21, 2011 @ 5:13 am

Ooooh, now my boyfriend and I are sitting here talking about how we want a waffle press.

Jenn — January 21, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

I love waffles too! We seem to never make them though…I even have a waffle press!!! Time to pull it out of the cabinet…I think I'll be making these this weekend! YUM!

Barbara — January 21, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

I don't make waffles nearly enough! These look wonderful, Megan.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 21, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

I'm mad. You're making me want waffles in a serious way and I don't own a waffle iron!! Shame on you lol. Yours look awesome. I grew up having them occasionally too and they were SO good. Ahh the memories :)

SnoWhite — January 21, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

These might just be our Sunday brunch waffles :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen — January 21, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

I love eating waffles with applesauce on them! Time to get out the old waffle iron – these look delicious and perfect use of the new frozen buttermilk idea.

happywhennothungry — January 21, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Yum! These waffles look amazing! I love having breakfast any time of day too.

Steph — January 21, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

It's been forever since I've made waffles, but I adore them! So maybe this weekend I'll have to put out the waffle maker and waffle me up a batch!

Holly — January 21, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

These look wonderful! I am making them first thing Saturday morning : )

~Judy~ — January 21, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Question…when you say shortening do you mean the crisco bars, butter, oil or ???????

Torviewtoronto — January 21, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

delicious looks yummy

smalltownoven — January 21, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

I really need a waffle maker :(

Katherine — January 21, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

I love breakfast for dinner! We are having it Sunday night. And waffles are definitely my favorite as well.

Kim — January 21, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

No waffle iron. :( I've always wanted one. The last photograph is outstanding!

Annie — January 22, 2011 @ 1:53 am

Waffles are one of my favorite breakfasts! Home made is best, not from a mix or the freezer. I've never made buttermilk ones though. I will have to try out this recipe, it looks delicious!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 22, 2011 @ 3:28 am

Judy – I used crisco out of a tub. I'm sure the crisco bars would work as well.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer — January 22, 2011 @ 5:41 am

We just made waffles too! I make homemade 'buttermilk' if I don't have any. Older originals are almost always the best.

Tiffany — January 22, 2011 @ 8:35 am

I'd choose waffles over pancakes ANY day! Yum!!! These look TASTY!

Jenn — January 23, 2011 @ 6:00 am

I've never heard of freezing buttermilk, interesting? I love waffles too and I always like to try new versions.

Viv — January 23, 2011 @ 9:38 am

oh i need to get one of those waffle makers! :) they make great weekend breakfasts!

Anonymous — January 23, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

We always had homemade waffles with leftover turkey and gravy the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas when I was a kid. And I have kept on the tradition. They are wonderful that way.

Sips and Spoonfuls — January 25, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

My gosh….these look so divine! I've never made waffles before but need to get a waffle pan ASAP and try these out!

Maranda — January 25, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

These do look light and crisp. Beautiful!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 26, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

Yum! My waffles never turn out very well (I have a bad habit of overflowing the waffle maker all over the countertops)… But, I'm feeling inspired to give them another try. How could I resist these lovely waffles?

CaSaundraLeigh — January 27, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

Never knew about the whole freezing buttermilk thing–great tip! And I agree, waffles are delicious. I have a waffle maker, but it's collecting dust. I definitely need to use it more!

Beth — February 26, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Good Morning Megan,

I've been waiting a month to try this recipe with my grandchildren. Alexa (3) loves waffles, so I'm ready to try them. Just waiting for them to wake up, so we can see how they enjoy them. Thanks for the recipe. My grandma always made buttermilk pancakes, and we still talk about them 30 years later.
    Beth

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 28, 2011 @ 12:39 am

Beth – I hope they turned out well and the kids enjoyed them! :)

SnoWhite — April 2, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

We made these this morning — quite tasty :) Thanks!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — April 4, 2011 @ 1:15 am

SnoWhite – Glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know :)