White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

Are you tired of desserts yet? I hope not because this one I’m sharing with you today is one of my new obsessions. I love making truffles, and when I saw a truffle recipe combining white chocolate and lemon, I knew it had to go on my springtime menu.

I’m always surprised by how simple truffles are to make – the combination of cream, chocolate, and some sort of flavoring can produce a very elegant dessert. These white chocolate lemon truffles are deliciously sweet and creamy with a pronounced lemon flavor. They have a melt-in-your-mouth texture, and the addition of the sugar coating gives a nice texture contrast. Mike and I both loved these, and we actually haven’t shared with anyone else yet – we’re hoarding them in our freezer. :) If you’re looking for something a little more sophisticated for Easter (or any Spring occasion), give these a try – they’ll make a beautiful addition to your dessert table!

White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

White Chocolate Lemon Truffles

1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
Grated zest of 1 lemon
9 ounces good quality white chocolate, finely chopped
pinch of salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into thin slices
2 tsp. freshly-squeezed, strained lemon juice
Granulated Sugar, for coating

In small, heavy, non-aluminum saucepan, combine the heavy cream and lemon zest. Over low heat, heat until cream comes to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover tightly and let sit for 20 minutes.

Combine the white chocolate, salt, and butter in medium heatproof bowl. Remove the cover from the cream and reheat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat. Strain through fine-meshed strainer into white chocolate mixture. Press down on the lemon zest left in the strainer to extract all the liquid from it.

Place white chocolate mixture over a pot of warm water on low heat (water should not touch bottom of bowl). Stir the chocolate frequently just until almost melted. Remove the bowl from the warm pot. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. (Note: White chocolate can be difficult when melting. If there are small lumps of white chocolate use a food processor and process the mixture at high speed just until smooth.) Stir in lemon juice. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl. Chill at least 4 hours, covering tightly when cold.

To make truffles: Using a small cookie scoop or a spoon, form balls of about 1 inch diameter from the cold truffle base. Roll in sugar until well-coated. (If you're having trouble, drop the small spoonful of white chocolate into the sugar, using the sugar to help roll it into a ball. Once a ball is formed, re-roll it in the sugar until coated.) Store truffles airtight in refrigerator for up to one week or freeze for longer storage. To serve, remove from refrigerator 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving time. Let stand at room temperature, covered, until serving time.

53 Responses to “White Chocolate Lemon Truffles”

Karly — April 22, 2011 @ 2:16 am

Tired of desserts? NEVER.

How did you get those rolled into such perfect little balls? They're beautiful!

Jess @ Sugar High — April 22, 2011 @ 2:46 am

White chocolate and lemon must be perfect together! They almost look like lemon heads ;)

Lisa — April 22, 2011 @ 4:47 am

I saw the recipe for these truffles before and I so want to make them. They just look like the most delicious things ever.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 22, 2011 @ 11:50 am

I love this flavor idea! Your truffles are so pretty.

brandi — April 22, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

these sound so light and delicious!

Fuji Mama — April 22, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Holy Guacamole!!! These look amazing!! MUST MAKE THEM FOR EASTER! :)

Miss O — April 22, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Wow! This seems to be such a great recipe!.. I should try it! Have a great weekend, ~ xoxo

Tracey — April 22, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Oh wow, these sound terrific! Perfect for spring :)

marla — April 22, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

White chocolate and lemon is the perfect combination!

Kristan — April 22, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

So pretty and yummy looking…great flavor combo!!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — April 22, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

These look so good! And I have to agree with everyone else–how did you get such perfect little balls? Gorgeous!

Holly — April 22, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Yum! I love lemon and white chocolate!! These truffles look sooo pretty:)

Cookin' Canuck — April 23, 2011 @ 2:51 am

These are so darn cute and I love the freshness of lemon.

The Cooking Photographer — April 23, 2011 @ 4:05 am

Love these little bitty lemon truffles!

Jean - Culinary Topics — April 23, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Amazing!
    I love this idea!
    Your truffles are so wonderful.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — April 23, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Mmm! I made truffles this week too! Super easy you're right!

livininthekitchen — April 23, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Those look amazing!! Would they work with white chocolate almond bark?

Jake and Jenzi — April 23, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

I can't wait to try these for Ester! I'm a little confused though, the recipe doesn't say when to add the lemon juice??? Did I miss that?

megan @ whatmegansmaking — April 23, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Jake and Jenzi – Sorry! Stir in the lemon juice before refrigerating. I updated the recipe, thanks for pointing that out!

Hannah — April 23, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

amazing recipe! keep these coming!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — April 24, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

What gorgeous truffles! I love the combination of flavors. YUM! :)

Shannon — April 25, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

White chocolate and lemon are perfect together! I love this idea and the truffles are so beautiful. I could definitely see these at a Spring/Summer wedding even.

Natalie — April 26, 2011 @ 2:39 am

these sound amazing!!

sotastyiwouldmarryit — April 27, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Yummy! These look delicous!!!

Anonymous — April 29, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

These look suuuper yummy! I'm not a dessert person much at all, so that's a big compliment from me. :)

Elle — May 3, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

I'd hide them in the freezer, too! :) All for meeee!

Farmgirl Gourmet — May 3, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Oh my gosh Megan – my mouth is watering! I heart lemon – and these look like addicting little balls of goodness. YUM!

Meg — May 5, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

Those look AMAZING — I'm just… yes. Adding these to my “to be baked” file for sure!

Eliana — May 6, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate but am a HUGE fan of white chocolate. These look like a must make for sure!

Aggie — May 17, 2011 @ 1:29 am

These look beautiful!!

Muffin Mum — May 23, 2011 @ 6:25 am

A bit of crystalised ginger would be lovely in the middle, yum.

MAC — May 29, 2011 @ 12:19 am

I have a feeling you are like me and simply love white chocolate! I think I could eat anything covered with white chocolate. These look wonderful and I see someone suggested ginger. I too think that would be delicious.

Surround Sound System — August 3, 2011 @ 9:59 am

These look amazing!

Home theater systems — August 20, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Oh my god Megan – my chops is watering! I spirit lemon – and these look like addicting small ball of decency

Green Cleaning Services — August 24, 2011 @ 10:12 am

Blog with lots of great recipes.

Carine — September 3, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

These look really delicious!!!

Cupcake Planet — September 19, 2011 @ 10:45 am

My kids love to make these with me, they like using powdered sugar to coat for a smooth texture.

• megan replied: — September 19th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

great idea on the powdered sugar, I didn’t think of that!

Kara — October 1, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

Mmm…look good! I wonder how this combo would be in croissant.

Martha T — December 1, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Just saw these on Pinterest … or one like them … they sound SOOO good. I think they are going to make an appearance sometime during the holidays. I am doing a lemon blueberry wedding cake next spring and I think these would be really good with that too.

Jeni A. — January 7, 2012 @ 8:34 am

These looked so amazing I had to try and make them… But I let them chill over night and in the am, the chocolate (some not all…) had separated and made a hard shell on top — any advice on what could have gone awry? Thanks a mil!! Happy new year!

• megan replied: — January 8th, 2012 @ 7:26 am

That happened to me once as well! You can stil salvage them. Just re-melt it over a pot of simmering water and then chill again, this time stirring every so often to make sure the chocolate stays incorporated. I don’t know if it’s just some types of white chocolate that separate easier than others, but as long as you stir it fairly frequently while it’s still liquid you should be ok. good luck!

Making Your Mother’s Day | Keep It Sweet — March 13, 2012 @ 11:50 am

[...] White Chocolate Lemon Truffles by What Megan’s Making [...]

Katie — April 4, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

I have just finished, they are in the fridge chilling for the night…I hope I haven’t mucked them up…also at this point should the mixture still be a bit runny??

• megan replied: — April 6th, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Hi Katie, sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner! How did the truffles turn out? And for future reference, yes it should be a little runny before refrigerating. The chilling in the refrigerator is what hardens them up enough so you can roll them. Hope you liked them! :)

Wit & Whistle » Blog Archive » White Chocolate Lemon Truffles — May 31, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

[...] from What Megan’s Making  « Sketchbook 5.29.12 I love your comments more than I love chocolate [...]

Wyhte chocolate | Imagearmy — August 3, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

[...] What Megan’s Making » White Chocolate Lemon TrufflesMay 11, 2012 … I am a visual learner. Never is this more clear to me than when I thumb through a cookbook like Ripe by Cheryl Sternman Rule with its … [...]

Stace — August 6, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

Just made these myself and they taste delicious. I was just wondering why mine ended up being more yellow than yours. Was it the butter I used? Which brand/type did you use? Thanks.

• megan replied: — August 7th, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

I can’t remember for sure, but I’m guessing I used Meijer brand unsalted. That’s usually what I buy unless something else is on sale. I’m glad you liked them! :)

Lemon Salt | Foods for the Soul — March 8, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

[...] white chocolate lemon truffles [...]

Terresa Mulinix — May 19, 2013 @ 8:16 am

Choosing home cinema seating will probably be more concerned than lots of people may recognize. The simple truth is there are always a large amount of opt… Putting together a property theater can be quite an excellent family project that results in a space everybody else enjoys spending some time in together. Some planning must come into play, to be sure everything is from the screen down to the home cinema seating. One of the keys to making the place perfect is certainly the level of comfort, and so the seats is going to be crucial. Picking house theatre sitting will probably be more concerned than lots of people might know. The reality is there are a lot of choices out there and some are much better than others.;,..

Best wishes

Grace B — March 20, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

I made a variation of those recipe – roll them in crystal lite lemonade powder and they have z little “zing” to them. That way they’re not so sweet.

Today's Housewife : Decisions, decisions… — October 11, 2014 @ 9:57 pm