Kitchen Tools I’m Loving – Cooking Edition

I have a lot of kitchen tools. I like collecting them and I love them all. I’m terrible at de-cluttering, but it’s something I’m working on as I attempt to spring clean around my house. As I was trying to find more space in my kitchen to store the Le Creuset baking dish I just bought (and love!), I started thinking about my favorite kitchen tools and which ones I wouldn’t want to live without.  And just in case you’re interested, I thought I would share the first five I thought of  (in no particular order) with you. :)

1. Furi Knife - One of your most important kitchen tools is a really good knife. Before I was married, a wonderful lady at my church was teaching my friend and I how to cook and she gave us this knife at our first lesson. I gave it to my brother when I got married because I had registered for new knives. After a few months, I realized that none of my wedding gift knives measured up to my old favorite so I asked for it back. He refused (because he loved it as much as I did), but did eventually buy me a new one as a gift. I use it to cut almost everything in the kitchen. It’s honestly the best knife I’ve ever used. (Note: I am not a knife expert…I just like this one a lot).

2. All-Clad 4qt Saute Pan - I absolutely love this saute pan. I learned about the All-Clad stainless steel pans from a Williams Sonoma cooking class and this one has lived up to my every expectation. It browns meat beautifully, it heats evenly, you can take it from the stove to the oven, and it’s durable.  The size is perfect for preparing family meals. This is my first All-Clad pan and I’m now in the process of slowly building my collection. Favorite meals made using this pan include: turkey burgers, orrechiette with mini chicken meatballs, and chicken fajitas (recipe coming soon!)

3. Silicone Measuring Cups - I asked for these measuring cups for Christmas (exciting, right?) because I was constantly spilling things when I used my glass measuring cups. These are now my go-to measuring cups. They’re practically spill-proof when pouring liquid out of them and I use them constantly. There is a slight drawback because the measurement lines can be hard to read. Despite that I still choose these over my glass measuring cups every time.

4. Rice Cooker - I know there are mixed reviews on rice cookers, but I love having one. The rice cooks perfectly every time, it leaves a burner free on the stove, and it takes no thought. This is definitely a cooking tool I would recommend!

5. Olive Oil Dispenser - This is kind of a funny little thing to show up on my list of kitchen tools I’m loving, but I just got one and I absolutely love it. It sits on my countertop within easy reach and it’s fun to use. It’s a nice convenience item that makes me feel a little bit more professional. :)

What are your favorite “can’t live without them” kitchen tools?

28 Responses to “Kitchen Tools I’m Loving – Cooking Edition”

SnoWhite — May 11, 2011 @ 3:24 am

we love our rice cooker too! It makes delicious “casseroles” too — green beans and cheesy rice and even mac & cheese!

how do you like the measuring cups w/o any handles?

The Roz's — May 11, 2011 @ 5:31 am

I love our lemon/lime squeezer! It's really a tool for a bartender, I love making lemony desserts but don't like squeezing the fruit.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 11, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I love the All-Clad pans… they really are amazing for cooking!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — May 11, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I have a similar saute pan, mine is Calphalon, but I love it too. I just bought an olive oil spritzer, it is my new favorite thing :)

Barbara — May 11, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Love those measuring cups. And I need a great knife like that one!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 11, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I have a whole set of those knives! Love them. I know they're not top of the line or anything but one thing I was taught is a knife should always feel good in your hand so thats why I chose those. So fun and bright too :) I've never seen silicone measuring cups like those! So neat.

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — May 11, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

I love my salad spinner. I spin just about all fruit and veggies dry in it – if they fit, they're spinning.

Kim — May 11, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

The one thing I don't know how I ever lived without now that I have one is my Le Crueset pot. I make everything in it from Mac and Cheese to soup and roasts. My Mother in Law bought it for me (as I could never justify spending so much money on myself). She has since passed away and everytime I use it – everytime – I send up a little Thank You to her because it really is a wonderful friend….um….I mean pot ;)
    I am going to look into that knife as well. There are bloggers out there touting incredibly expensive knives. I think that you and Rachel are correct. If it feels good, it doesn't have to cost a fortune.
    I use a microplane zester also. Very handy.

Holly — May 11, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

I love a good knife!! I also love my microplane:)

Old Doug in BC — May 11, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

I have been cooking since 1947, same year I met my wife Marie. I do all the cooking, Marie does all the baking, including our bread. We really lucked out at a Salvation Army thrift shop one time a couple of years ago, when we found a fuzzy logic rice cooker(Panasonic) for 20 bucks! Then less 30% as it was seniors day! Found out they were worth about $300 new, and this one hardly used! It can do a great number of other things beside rice! Can even be used as a crock pot. So it gets used a lot. Also like Kim, Marie's late mother gave us a La Crueset pot and when she died we got hers as well. Have your favorite knife as well as a set of Henckels and use the Japanese one most. And my zester! Don't think there s anything on your list we don't have except the measuring cups, and I am sorta attached to the ones I have, having been using them for 50 years! Without breaking!! Cheers, Old Doug in BC

Jen — May 11, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I love my crock pot, and I was getting addicted to my food processor, until it went missing while I was packing. (I've got my eye on a new 12 cup Kitchen Aid one now). Other than than, I love all my Sterilite storage containers. I buy most of my pantry items in bulk so I love being able to easily see what is in each.

Cooking Rookie — May 11, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Nice post. I just recently started using a chef's knife, and it's so much more fun than the dull 5' paring knife I've been using all my life :)

Emily Malloy — May 11, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and entering the giveaway!

I love these items!!! To be honest, I'd be lost without my chef's knife and my apron! (I tend to be messy when I cook and get food everywhere!!)

Cindy — May 11, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

I love my cookie scoops–great for so much more than cookies. I use my Pampered Chef Stoneware Bar Pan daily–I also give it as a wedding or shower gift. I also give my daughters Le Crueset cookware, they love to cook and cannot afford it. It is a special gift that will be used daily.
    Thanks for the fun list. Have a great day.

Tracey — May 11, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

I've only recently come to appreciate the beauty of a good knife. I don't know what I'd do without mine!

Kathy - Panini Happy — May 11, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

This is a good list! I have a set of super-sharp paring knives that Oxo sent me a while back. I must use each of the four knives every day, they're my workhorses!

Coach Sheryl — May 12, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Megan, could you tell us what size, type of knife that is? Would like to check it out.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — May 12, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Coach Sheryl – If you click the Furi Knife link above the picture (#1 in the list) it will take you to the Amazon page. Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

Magic of Spice — May 12, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

I love kitchen toys! And I will check out that knife, can never have too many good ones :)

Karly — May 12, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

I second the good knife. I have a Wusthoff and have been wanting to add a second to my collection. I might check out your Furi and give that a go. :)

Also…a cookie scoop. Seriously, how did I ever live without a cookie scoop in my life?

Oh, and my food processor. Just got that for Christmas and use it nearly every time I cook. It amazes me every single day.

Eliana — May 12, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

I just got an olive oil dispenser recently and can't believe how I went so long without it. Seems so simple and useless but having it so close to the stove and ready to use at all times is priceless.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — May 13, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Love this post Megan, so many great kitchen tools that I must get my hands on :)

Robyn — May 13, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Great post Megan! I always love to see everyone's favorite gadgetry.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — May 14, 2011 @ 8:07 am

I have jealousy issues over your silicone measuring cups!! Gah!

Megan — May 16, 2011 @ 3:34 am

I have that knife and love it too! Would love to have the rice maker.

Meg — May 17, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Fun! My boyfriend is addicted to rice and absolutely loves his rice cooker — he breaks it out at least once or twice a week!

kitchen tools and gadgets — May 26, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Nice collection in cookware tools. Thanks for such adorable post. Keep posting!

Jennifer — July 14, 2013 @ 2:27 am

I ADORE my silicone measuring cups!!! :D I also love the odd sized cups/spoons set from Williams Sonoma. :)