This might be the perfect spring/summer dessert. It’s light and creamy and full of tart lemon flavor. I found the recipe in a cookbook from the library (the same one where I got this delicious herb flatbread!) and it was a great find. I love the texture of mousse (have you tried this chocolate version? Amazing!), and couldn’t wait to try a lemon flavor. This makes a great make ahead dessert, and its light texture makes it great for a hot summer day, or for a light dessert after a big meal. We served it with some extra whipped cream on top, which balanced the slightly tart flavor perfectly. I’m guessing this will make a frequent appearance at our summer get-togethers!
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2-3 lemons)
- 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- Stir together the eggs, sugar and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Raise heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, pressing with a flexible spatula, into a metal bowl. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface of the mixture. Refrigerate until well chilled, 40-45 minutes.
- Whisk heavy cream in a metal bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold cream into the chilled lemon mixture. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or up to two days) before spooning into dessert cups.
Yum. I made a strawberry mousse this weekend that was delicious and summery. I'll have to try your lemon version as well!
This *does* sound great for a summer day. Maybe with some blueberry sauce…or some light shortbread (or both)
So perfect for summer! I bet it would make a wonderful parfait paired with berries.
Love this dessert!
Looks amazing. 🙂
Yum! I love all things lemon. I've never made mousse before but I have been wanting to.
Mousse is one of my favorite desserts, but I often feel that chocolate mousse is too heavy for summer. This is the perfect solution!
This mouse looks so delicious and perfect for the summer!
oooh I LOVE lemon desserts, especially in the summer! This looks delicious!
Sp light and beautiful!
That looks really lovely. I love tart and sweet especially in summer. Great one!
I love lemon desserts. This lemon mousse looks so good and refreshing! 🙂
Yum, I've been all about lemon desserts for a few months now. Love the simplicity of this recipe!
This sounds wonderful! I have never seen lemon mousse before, only chocolate and vanilla – great idea!
This looks and sounds like a very decadent yet light dessert — perfect for a summer evening! I can't wait to try it!
mmmm i love lemon desserts lately! will have to try this!
I adore lemons! And this looks like the perfect way to showcase their bright, cheerful flavor.
This just looks like a perfect summer dessert!