Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

You would not believe how good this stir-fry is. Strangely enough, this is actually the first time I’ve ever made a stir-fry with beef in it. I’m not sure why, but when I think of stir-fry, I always think of chicken. Well all that has changed with this meal. The recipe comes from a new cookbook I got for Christmas. As I was sitting around over vacation, leafing through my new cookbooks, this recipe stood out to me as something I had to make as soon as possible. Not only do Mike and I both love stir-fry as a quick and easy dinner, but I was also looking for something healthy to start out the new year right. And this is healthy! I mean, look at all that broccoli! I have raved about this meal to everyone I talked to over the past week. The flavor is incredible and, like all stir-fry recipes, it cooks quickly. Plus I love any excuse to break out my wok and eat with chopsticks! (*Note: you do not need a wok to make this meal).  If you’re looking for something quick, easy and healthy, try this beef and broccoli stir-fry. You will love it!

Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

1 lb flank or skirt steak
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp canola oil
3 gloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups small broccoli florets
3 Tbsp dry white wine
2 Tbsp soy sauce
Cooked White Rice, for serving

Cut the beef into thin strips across the grain. In a large bowl stir together the cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking soda and 2 Tbsp water. Add the beef and stir until the beef is evenly coated. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Add the canola oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 1 minute, or until the garlic is crisp, then remove to a paper towel. Add the beef, broccoli and 2 Tbsp of the wine. Cook, stirring often, until the beef is cooked through and the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining Tbsp of wine and the soy sauce and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the cooked garlic. Serve immediately with the rice.

from Cooking from the Farmer's Market

15 Responses to “Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry”

Autumn@Good Eats Girl — January 8, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

I love making stir-fry at home! I don’t use beef enough…I usually stick with chicken and shrimp! I’ll have to try your recipe!

Cookbook Queen — January 9, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Beef and broccoli is one of my favorites!! Definitely bookmarking this for dinner one night.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 9, 2012 @ 10:32 am

I love stir-fry. So quick, healthy, easy and SO versatile. This looks great!

Zee — January 9, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

I love stir fried food and I love that this recipe has fried garlic. Garlic is one my most favorite ingredients.. Ill definitely try this very soon.

Sara — January 9, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Ohhh, this looks so good! Must try soon, because now I’m really craving stir fry!! :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — January 9, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

i always forget about beef w/ stir fry too! my husband would be all over this! chinese is his fave.

Amrita — January 10, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

This looks so yummy! And the best thing about stir-fry is, you can use any meat or make it a completely vegetarian meal! :)

Amy Kay — January 12, 2012 @ 10:18 am

I made this for dinner last night with a couple other stir-fry dishes and it was tasty, but my beef was a little tough. Perhaps it is because I did not buy the cut listed in the recipe since our grocery has packaged meat labeled “beef stir-fry” and it was quicker to pick that up. Do you know a “natural” way to tenderize the beef before using it in this dish? Soaking it in vinegar?

• megan replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

Unfortunately, I’m not sure about tenderizing the beef. I’m guessing if you use the cut mentioned it would be better, but I’m not positive. Sorry I’m not more help!

RecipeObsessed — January 15, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

Looks wonderful!

Danette — January 16, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

I made this Sunday night and it was so easy and VERY tasty! Keep these kind of recipes coming!

• megan replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

Thanks for the comment Danette :) I’m glad you liked it!

Bre — February 2, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

I tried this a few days ago.. I am a beginner cook and it turned out great! Next time I’ll add more red pepper flakes as I like my food spicy. But, great recipe.. thanks so much.. your site will be my go-to to try new recipes!!

• megan replied: — February 3rd, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Thanks for the comment, I’m so glad it turned out well! :)

Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry | Judi's House — May 26, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

[...] need a recipe for stir fry, but I do for now.  I tried this one from What Megan’s Making: http://www.whatmegansmaking.com/2012/01/beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry.html.  I found this to be good but very much on the salty side after marinating the beef overnight as a [...]