Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

How fun are these cookies?? I love the idea of pumpkin snickerdoodles! Pumpkin and cinnamon is already a great pairing, so combining the two in cookie form seems just about perfect. These taste a little different than traditional snickerdoodles, and their texture is a little fluffier due to the pumpkin, but I love soft, chewy cookies so I thought they were wonderful. However, if you’re looking for that classic snickerdoodle flavor, you’re probably better off making a regular snickerdoodle recipe.  If you’re just looking for a fun Fall pumpkin cookie though, this is the recipe for you.

The spices are on the mild side, but you can still clearly taste the cinnamon and nutmeg.  I loved eating these with pumpkin ice cream – talk about a perfect combination! Mike didn’t get to try these because he was traveling when I made them, and I think he’s a little sad that he missed out.  I may have to make a second batch just for him. :)

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

2 tsp. vanilla extract

For the coating:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Dash of allspice

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in the pumpkin puree, then the egg and vanilla until incorporated. With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Mix together the sugar and spices for the coating in a small bowl. Roll the dough into balls and coat in the sugar-spice mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing the dough balls 2-3 inches apart. Dip the bottom of a flat, heavy-bottomed drinking glass in water, then in the sugar-spice mixture, and use the bottom to flatten the dough balls slightly.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just set and baked through. Let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough. Store in an airtight container

11 Responses to “Pumpkin Snickerdoodles”

Cookbook Queen — November 12, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Best flavor combo evah!!!! Totally making these :)

sarah k @ the pajama chef — November 12, 2012 @ 11:40 am

i’ve made these before and can testify that they are SO SO SO good. :)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — November 12, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Snicker Doodles are hands down my favorite cookies – never thought of adding pumpkin!!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — November 12, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

I bet these are awesome!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — November 13, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

I love the idea of pumpkin snickerdoodles too Megan! I honestly did not think that snickerdoodles could get any better. they are one of my favorite classic cookies ever! So festive and perfect for thanksgiving dessert!

Mercedes — November 13, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

These look so soft and delicious!

Madison — November 25, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

Just made these and they are phenomenal! Will definitely be saving this recipe.

• megan replied: — November 28th, 2012 @ 7:46 am

So glad you liked them!! :)

Jennifer — December 18, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

Made these twice now and am still getting requests for more. I omitted the cloves and allspice (didn’t have those ingredients) and they still are really delicious! And I made ice cream sandwiches with them using Mexican vanillas ice cream. Thanks for the great recipe!

• megan replied: — December 19th, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

I’m so glad you like them! Great idea for ice cream sandwiches :)

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — January 29, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

Mmm. I love the idea of combining pumpkin and snickerdoodles. (Because isn’t pumpkin always accompanied by cinnamon and other spices anyways?) I just made some classic snickerdoodles – so soft and CHEWY! But I want to try this next!