Easiest Ever Fudge

Day 10: This was a disaster, from start to finish. Not the recipe I’m about to share, that turned out just as it was supposed to. But that isn’t the first recipe I tried. First I tried my mom’s “never failed before” chocolate chip fudge recipe. Twice. And it failed. Twice. The first batch never hardened…you could scoop it out with a spoon. And the second batch turned into this gloopy mess that never came together and looked a little gross. Both ended up in the garbage. So I called my mom and was very distraught over why this had happened to me, and (after telling me how many times she herself has successfully made that very same recipe), she went on the internet and sent me the easiest, most fail-proof recipe for fudge that she could find. And that is what I’m sharing with you now.
It’s incredibly creamy, and it tastes great. It doesn’t have quite the same consistency as a more traditional fudge recipe, but it more than makes up for that in ease of preparation. I’d definitely make it again, but I’m also open to new recipes. Does anyone else have a “no-fail” fudge recipe they’d like to share?

Easiest Ever Fudge

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt (will add shine to the chocolate)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (your favorite kind- optional)

Combine the sweetened condensed milk and chips in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Heat until chips are melted, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla, salt and nuts. Pour into a buttered 8x8 inch pan and refrigerate until cool. Cut into squares.

15 Responses to “Easiest Ever Fudge”

Megan — December 10, 2009 @ 5:07 pm

I have loved following your cookies! Makes me want to hurry home and get in the kitchen.

So just FYI, but this is my mom's favorite fudge recipe too and…hold your breath now…she actually does it in the microwave and it turns out great! Dont know if you would be willing to try but just thought I would pan the tip along!

Have a happy holidays!

Anonymous — December 10, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

Wow! I absolutely love your blog! I will be checking it often! :D

Amber Joy — December 10, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

This is the way I always make fudge. I like to change things up now and then with peanut butter chips or mint chips or by adding mint extract to regular chips. The possibilities are endless. Soo yummy!

Malar Gandhi — December 10, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

Dear,

I know, you're a Great cook and I adore your blog.

I am hosting an Event in my site about Kitchen Mishaps!

Please check it out:

Would you like to participate?

I will greatly appreciate your contribution.

Thanks
    Malar Gandhi

Simply Life — December 10, 2009 @ 9:01 pm

are you serious? wow!! another amazing recipe! are you really making one everyday or just posting daily? I'm SO impressed!!!

megan — December 11, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

Megan – Thanks for the tip! I was wondering if the microwave would work. Definitely trying that next time :)

Amber Joy – Mint chips or extract would be so good in this!

Malar Gandhi – Thanks for letting me know. I definitely have had more than a few mishaps during these 12 days of cookies :)

Simply Life – Your comment made me smile. :) I'm not making a recipe every day, although sometimes it feels like it! I wish I had been better prepared in advance, but I've made quite a few over the last 12 days! And when some didn't turn out quite like I was hoping, I made even more! haha more on that in a future post. :)

Anonymous — December 17, 2009 @ 3:42 am

Just to share a similar story-my great grandmother was the absolute queen of fudge. Even after she couldn't see to drive, she made absolutely amazing batches every time something special was happening. She passed away years ag, and I recently unearthed her recipe. Of course, I had to make it. Everything was going well, until the pot boiled over…and didn't stop. I ended up with a stove covered in molten chocolate sugar. I wanted to let it cool before I cleaned it up, and ended up using a straight razor to scrape it off the stovetop.

marianne — December 19, 2009 @ 2:53 am

Here's our tried and true recipe. It makes a TON, but it also freezes well.

4 1/2 c sugar
    1 14oz. can evaporated milk (not condensed)
    1 c butter
    36 oz chocolate chips (this is 3 bags, use your favorite flavor–I use Ghirardelli's bittersweet for a super rich dark chocolate fudge)
    1 package miniature marshmallows
    2-3 c chopped nuts (optional)
    1 T vanilla

Combine sugar and evaporated milk in a large heavy pan, boil 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in butter, chocolate, and marshmallows until melted and glossy (you might have to return to low heat briefly if it cools too fast to melt everything). Pour into well-buttered pan (I use a 1/2 sheet pan 18×10, sprayed well and lined with parchment). Cool, then refrigerate. Makes about 100 pieces. (I like to give it away in good-sized slabs instead of little pieces–it seems especially decadent. And if you save it until Valentine's Day, you can use a small cookie cutter to make little fudge hearts.)

megan — December 21, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

marianne – Thanks for the recipe, it sounds wonderful :) I'll definitely have to try this next year, or for Valentine's Day like you said. little fudge hearts would be so cute!

Michelle — December 23, 2009 @ 8:50 pm

Tried this and it didn't turn out…followed directions like it said but still turned out soupy like.

megan — December 23, 2009 @ 9:09 pm

Michelle – I'm sorry to hear that! Was it still soupy after you refrigerated it? I'm not sure what went wrong. Did you use a 14oz container of sweetened condensed milk? Was it still before the expiration date. I opened a can that had expired and it was really liquidy, so that could contribute maybe. Feel free to email me about if you want – I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you!

LLW — January 25, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

This looks fantastic! I've always been looking for an easy fudge recipe! :)
    Just found your site – you have some great recipes on here, I'll be sure to continue following you!
    We have a small recipe site as well, check us out.

Peggy — December 30, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

Thank you for posting this what a life saver!!! I really wanted fudge this year for Christmas and I couldn’t find any marshmallow creme in the stores! I live in Bolivia, so this was the perfect recipe! thanks again, it turned out really creamy and delicious.

• megan replied: — December 31st, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I’m so glad you liked it and it worked out for you!!

leila j — December 16, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

I make fudge with mini march-mellows. it makes the consistency perfect!