Apple and Cheddar Scones

Apple and Cheddar Scones

I’ve got a “to make” recipe list that includes at least 50 recipes. I’m always adding to it, and as I’m planning meals and baked goods for the week, I always refer to that list first. If often takes awhile for recipes to get moved to the top of the list, and it’s rare that I find a new recipe and make it immediately. But that’s what happened with these scones.  I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen on Friday, mixed them up that night, and baked them the next day for the perfect Saturday morning breakfast.

Apple and Cheddar Scones

It helps that I already had the ingredients in my kitchen. (Speaking of which, since when did heavy cream become a staple that I keep on hand? This cannot be good.) These are incredibly easy to put together, and the only time consuming aspect is baking the apples. They can be made immediately, but I wanted them for breakfast so I just kept them in the refrigerator and baked them this morning with no problems. And actually, I only baked two of them. I froze the rest so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat them. I’m planning on making them for a special breakfast when my parents come in a few weeks.

These lived up to every expectation I had, and I’m so glad I moved them to the top of my baking list. They are perfect for a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast, and they have big chunks of apples in them, which are healthy, so you feel better about eating a huge scone for breakfast.  I think baking the apples first must dry them out a little, and you’re left with a delicious apple taste and texture, without any of the traditional wetness that usually accompanies them. In short, I loved these, and I think you will too. :)

Apple and Cheddar Scones

Apple and Cheddar Scones

Yield: Makes 6 generous scones

2 firm tart apples
1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for sprinkling
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt plus additional for egg wash
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

Position a rack at the center of oven and preheat oven to 375 °F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Peel and core apples, then cut them into one-sixteenths. (chunks, not slivers.) Placed them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them until they take on a little color and feel dry to the touch, about 20 minutes. They will be about half-baked. Let them cool completely. (I placed them on a plate and refrigerated them to speed things up) Leave oven on.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, along with cooled apple chunks, cheese, cream and one egg. Sprinkle flour mixture over the top and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together. Do not overmix.

Generously flour your counter top and place the scone dough on top of it. Sprinkle with flour. Pat the dough into a 1 1/4-inch thick, 6-inch circle. Cut circle into 6 wedges. Transfer them to a baking sheet that has either been buttered or lined with parchment paper. Leave at least 2 inches between each scone.

Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle them with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake until firm and golden, about 30 minutes. With a spatula, lift them to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.

Make ahead: Scones are best the day they are baked. However, they can be made ahead of time and stored unbaked in the freezer until you need them. Simply brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle them with sugar, and bake them still frozen for just a couple extra minutes.

If you like what you see, you may want to sign up to get free email updates or subscribe via rss. :)

32 Responses to “Apple and Cheddar Scones”

Jessica @ How Sweet — October 18, 2010 @ 1:53 am

The minute I saw these I wanted to make them too. I MUST make them. I love fruit and cheese together!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 18, 2010 @ 1:59 am

Scones are my absolute favorite!!! I'm very picky about my scones and these look right up my alley!!

theblogisthenewblack — October 18, 2010 @ 2:21 am

Looks delicious!

Danielle — October 18, 2010 @ 2:35 am

I have a long recipe list too. If I don't plan my recipes like 3 recipes in advance, I panic. But if i have certain ingredients on hand, then certain recipes move to the top of the list. This look great! I've never made scones before, i'll have to try these out.

Jessica @ bake me away! — October 18, 2010 @ 2:41 am

I'm getting more and more tempted to make these! They look so tasty, and even though I'm not used to the apple/cheddar combo, I'm sure I'd love these. btw, I had the same experience with a Smitten Kitchen recipe a couple months ago…made her peach shortbread hours after she posted the recipe. :D

embraceyourskin — October 18, 2010 @ 2:46 am

These sound awesome and I have almost all the ingredients on hand! Score!

allieksmith — October 18, 2010 @ 2:46 am

Your scones look AMAZING! I cannot wait to try this recipe!

sinfullyspicy — October 18, 2010 @ 5:11 am

these scones are shouting fall to me..will be a good use of last bits of cheddar in my pantry..lovely looking

Kay Heritage — October 18, 2010 @ 10:07 am

Scones are my most favorite for breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner! Looks fantastic, Megan.

Barbara — October 18, 2010 @ 10:34 am

I adore scones, Megan. Now why did I never think of apples??? So tasty with the cheddar. Can't wait to try these!

Brenda — October 18, 2010 @ 11:11 am

The heavy cream comment made me laugh. Me too!!!! I NEVER used to have that in the fridge and it seems it's become a staple. I blame it on all the ice cream I've been making. ARGH! Your scones looks scrumptious! Perfect for breakfast or a snack.

Simply Life — October 18, 2010 @ 11:21 am

wow! those look perfect!

Tracy — October 18, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

These do sound amazing! I'm definitely going to have to try them. Also, I know what you mean about the heavy cream – how did this happen?! ;-)

Olya Nikol Pishcheva — October 18, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

I guess it's tasty! ~

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 18, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I made these this weekend too! They are amazing!

jennaseverythingblog — October 18, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Oh yum–and I know I'm repeating previous comments, but this has also happened to me with the heavy whipping cream. Sometime in the last year . . . I blame it on the Pioneer Woman. =)

Maranda — October 18, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

Once upon a time in a land far, far away I was in high school. LOL! I took a home ec class and we made some apple cheddar biscuits. I've thought of those a lot over the years (I lost the recipe) and this post and those scones just brought all those memories flooding back! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will have to make these!

Elisabeth — October 18, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

Love the yummy scones. I could eat these every morning with my coffee!
    Thank you for visiting my blog, and commenting!

Shannon — October 18, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

I've never made scones. These just might compel me to give them a try!

Barbara Bakes — October 18, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

What a perfect breakfast. I love that you did all the work the night before and just baked them in the morning.

amanda@seegirlcook — October 19, 2010 @ 12:17 am

yummy! these look amazing….i will definitely be trying out this recipe!:)

smalltownoven — October 19, 2010 @ 1:00 am

My sentiments exactly! I saw these and started salivating immediately. Yours look just as amazing as Deb's. I also happen to keep heavy cream on hand and there's a pang in my thigh whenever I buy it but so it goes :)

~Lisa~ — October 19, 2010 @ 1:06 am

What a great scone recipe. I don't think i've ever had an apple and cheddar scone before. Sounds amazing!

pajamachef — October 19, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

I saw these on smitten kitchen too! I'm glad you liked them. I haven't fallen into the keeping heavy cream on hand trap yet (yet!) but I have started getting half & half… I'm on my way!

Hannah — October 19, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

I haven't experimented very much with this sweet and savory combination of flavors, but I actually happen to have some vegan "cheddar" in the fridge, so perhaps it's time I gave it another go. The scones certainly do look promising- Yum!

blackbookkitchendiaries — October 19, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

hi megan, this scones sounds so good. i love the combo of cheese and apple. it's just heavenly. thank you sharing this.

Vicky (eat live spin) — October 19, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

These look great!

Art and Appetite — October 19, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

You did this beautiful and presented it stunningly! Love them. I'm sure it taste awesome! WOuld love to try.

Deeba PAB — October 21, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

Super YUM, and another add to the list! I love the idea of freshly baked!

Eliana — October 22, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

Love the flavor combo of apple and cheddar. They look like the most perfect scones girl :)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer — October 23, 2010 @ 2:34 am

I wanted to try these out right away too, you may have convinced me to move it up on my long list too :)

Meg — October 21, 2011 @ 11:01 am

Can’t type . . . too busy drooling . . .