Strawberry Agua Fresca

Strawberry Agua Fresca

I mentioned on Facebook that Mike and I picked 16 pounds of strawberries on the weekend. (As a side note, after spending the winter drinking smoothies made from berries we’d picked and frozen the previous summer, Mike is now a fan of berry picking!) I froze most of the berries for future smoothies, and we ate plenty of them fresh, but of course I also had to search the internet for some fun strawberry recipes to try!

It was hot out, I was thirsty, and this delicious stawberry agua fresca from Eat Live Run caught my eye. It’s not juice and it’s not water, but something of a mix between the two, making it sweet and refreshing. It tastes just like ripe summer strawberries and is a great alternative to lemonade. I would love to have a pitcher of this hanging out in my refrigerator all summer. It’s perfect for quenching your thirst and enjoying a sweet summer treat at the same time. Plus, it’s pretty and pink. :) Give it a try while strawberries are in season!

Strawberry Agua Fresca

Strawberry Agua Fresca

Yield: Serves 3

1 lb strawberries, stems removed and sliced in half
2 1/2 cups cold water
3-4 T sugar, to taste
juice of one lime

Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer to strain out the seeds. Pour the seedless puree into a pitcher and add the water, lime juice and sugar. Stir well until the sugar dissolves. Chill until cold. Garnish with additional lime slices and serve.

24 Responses to “Strawberry Agua Fresca”

Anne — June 20, 2011 @ 3:07 am

Those smoothies look wonderful! I'm going to have try one soon. :)

Barbara Bakes — June 20, 2011 @ 9:05 am

My Spanish teacher is always talking about the great agua frescas in her country. It looks like a fabulous summer drink.

cookies and cups — June 20, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Delicious! I bet it would be yummy with sparkling water too :)

Angie — June 20, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

This sounds fantastic. I am finding out that lime juice is the perfect ingredient for most fruits. Squeeze fresh lime over cantaloupe it is out of this world fantastic. Since I have access to fresh strawberries, I am definitely going to try this.

Anonymous — June 20, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

what of you done have a food processor what could i use
    Thanks, cant wait to make this

megan @ whatmegansmaking — June 20, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

anonymous – a blender would work just as well. Hope you like it! :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 20, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

So simple! And it's such a perfect summery drink. Jealous of your berry pickings. I've never been but really should from the sounds of it!

Cookin' Canuck — June 20, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

This looks so refreshing, Megan. It's supposed to get hot today and I'm very tempted to make this.

Beth — June 20, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

This looks delicious Megan. We're picking strawberries this week. Thanks for the recipe!

Cooking Rookie — June 20, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

wow, 16 lbs of fresh strawberries – you're lucky! The drink looks great too :-)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — June 20, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

This look wonderful!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — June 20, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

I've made Jenna's Strawberry Agua Fresca for Easter and it was soooo delicious! Must make again.

Kathy - Panini Happy — June 20, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Wow, 16 lbs?? You are so set, strawberry-wise! :-)

Vanessa — June 21, 2011 @ 1:30 am

Aqua frescsas are totally dominating my Summer so far. SO good and refreshing.

Tracey — June 21, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

I have some strawberries dying a slow death in my fridge – this just might be the solution. It sounds so refreshing and summery!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef — June 21, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

this looks so refreshing :)

Paula @ Cookware Cooking — June 22, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Refreshing and delicious looking! Maybe I'll add champagne for Sunday brunch!

Kristan — June 22, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

THis sounds so yummy and refreshing!!

Carol — June 23, 2011 @ 1:02 am

That looks so delicious and refreshing on a hot hot Texas day. I've processed my berries in the food processor and the pulp is just sitting there. I lined a strainer with cheesecloth. How much liquid am I supposed to get and how long does it take? It's been about an hour. I'm tempted just to dump it all together and go for it!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — June 23, 2011 @ 1:31 am

Carol – I had a similar problem, I assumed because my fine mesh strainer was a little too fine! I ended up just mixing the pulp with the water, then straining it that way. The extra liquid seemed to help the strawberry juice flow through. It still took awhile, but maybe about 30 minutes? I would press down on the pulp with a spoon too, and kind of swirl it around. I actually let mine just sit on the counter while I went for a bike ride, so I don't have any exact times… good luck!!

Eliana — June 23, 2011 @ 3:04 am

WOW – 16 pounds of strawberries sounds amazing! I'm totally jelly belly right now. If I had that many I would make this agua fresca over and over and over again. Looks amazing!

Beth — June 24, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Just made it this morning for breakfast… I have a couple of pounds left of strawberries and it was delicious. I mixed it in the speed bullet and didn't need to strain…loved it. Thank you!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — June 24, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Beth – So glad you liked it! :)

Good Food Good Friends — June 20, 2012 @ 6:54 am

This looks so refreshing! I’ll be trying this with my over abundance of strawberries I have from my garden.