Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream

Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream

I’m pretty sure that now that it’s May, it is officially ice cream season!  Even if it’s not, I couldn’t wait any longer to try this blueberry vanilla ice cream.  Ever since the weather started warming up, I’ve been wanting to go out for ice cream as much as possible. Thankfully Mike shares my priorities and we’ve discovered the best little ice cream place that is only a mile from our house! I could see this becoming an expensive habit over the course of the summer, so I decided to make my own. :)

I’ve mentioned it before, but Mike absolutely loves blueberries and anything with blueberries in it.  Blueberry and lemon is his favorite combination, but I prefer blueberry and vanilla. And since I’m the one making the ice cream, blueberry and vanilla it was. :) Don’t worry though, Mike was a huge fan of this ice cream. We both were! It’s smooth and creamy, and the flavor was perfect. Actually, Mike said he’d rather eat this any day than go out for ice cream. I’m guessing I’ll be making this many more times, but I hope I still get a few ice cream dates in my future. :)

Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream

Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups blueberries
1 Tbsp water
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2 tsp vanilla

In a medium saucepan, stir and simmer together the blueberries, water and sugar until the blueberries soften and the sugar dissolves, about 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a medium sized bowl and chill overnight in the refrigerator.

When the blueberry mixture is sufficiently chilled, use an immersion blender to puree the blueberries. In a large bowl, stir together the blueberry mixture, cream, milk and vanilla. Freeze according to the directions on your ice cream maker.

adapted from the Penzey's Spice Catalog

21 Responses to “Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream”

Blog is the New Black — May 23, 2012 @ 8:22 am

This sounds amazing!!!!

Cookbook Queen — May 23, 2012 @ 9:27 am

My son LOOOOVES blueberries…we need to make this an afternoon project when he gets out of school.

Love the gorgeous color too!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 23, 2012 @ 11:25 am

Delicious!!

BusyWorkingMama — May 23, 2012 @ 11:31 am

YUM! I love vanilla ice cream but I bet t is even better with blueberries.

Cassie — May 23, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I love blueberries…or any kind of berries, especially this time of year. The color of this is fabulous!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — May 23, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

Lovely — this looks like a dessert I would devour. You can bet you’ll be featured on Friday in my Friday Favorite Finds this week :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 24, 2012 @ 1:59 am

What a lovely idea for an ice cream flavor! I totally need to stock up on some blueberries.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 24, 2012 @ 6:11 am

Megan, I am loving this ice cream. Blueberries are one of my favorite summertime fruits. And I’m LOVING the color of this ice cream… so bright + cheery!

Rachel Cooks — May 24, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Love this! It is so beautiful!

katie — May 24, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Megan this looks amazing. I recently made a batch of blueberry frozen yogurt–but now I really want to try this recipe!

Javelin Warrior — May 25, 2012 @ 12:21 am

Love this post – so much so that I’m featuring it in this week’s Food Fetish Friday series (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I’m always inspired by your creations… Thanks so much for sharing.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — May 25, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

This sounds delicious, Megan! I bet the vanilla brings this ice cream to the next level. I love using vanilla!

CJ @ Morsels of Life — May 25, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

This ice cream looks totally amazing!

ATasteOfMadness — May 26, 2012 @ 11:30 am

Wow, the color is just gorgeous! I have never had blueberry ice cream, it sounds mouthwatering
    And I consider every season as ice cream season :p

Monsterscircus — May 26, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

Hi Megan! It is really a great blog, you have and lovely recepies, I’m addicted to the blueberry icecream!!! Hve a lovely long weekend.

Brenda — May 26, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Megan, what a gorgeous colour!! Oh my gosh, I can’t wait to make this. I actually JUST made ice cream. Mocha Madness (from KAF). I think this flavour will have to be next on my list. Yum!

• megan replied: — May 28th, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

Mocha madness sounds like an amazing flavor! I’ve got to try that :)

Five Friday Finds :: Morsels of Life — June 1, 2012 @ 5:24 am

[...] Granola – Finding Joy in My Kitchen Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie – Cheeky Bums Blog Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream – What Megan's Making Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins – Talking Dollars and Cents Snickers Cake – Bakers [...]

Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream — June 4, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

[...] source:   whatmegansmaking.com [...]

Ice Cream Round-Up | Cravings of a Lunatic — July 7, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

[...] Blueberry Vanilla Ice Cream by What Megan’s Making [...]

Janna — June 12, 2014 @ 5:21 pm

This is soooo good! But it doesn’t make very much so now I’m making a double batch! (Since I got a great big box of blueberries at Costco!)