Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Muffins

I love to make muffins. They’re so quick and easy, and they almost always come out tasting amazing. You can’t really beat warm muffins out of the oven. I love to make a batch on the weekends and then freeze them for lunches throughout the week. A few weeks ago I was leafing through my new cookbooks and ran across this recipe for chocolate chip muffins. Of course I had to make them! They turned out soft and fluffy and with the perfect amount of sweetness. They taste great, but you actually realize you are eating a muffin rather than a cupcake. I love the addition of chocolate chips too. Mike would have preferred blueberries, but since I made him muffins he can’t complain too much, right? :) We both really liked these and I’ve already started thinking up different variations to try in the future!

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Muffins

3 cups (15 oz) all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups plus 3 Tbsp sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Place the oven rack in the lower-middle position and pre-heat the oven to 375. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners (use fewer muffin cups if you want larger muffins).

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar on medium-high spead until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs. Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients in 2 additions, alternating with 3 additions of yogurt. Stir in the chocolate chips

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in a center muffin comes out with moist crumbs, 20-25 minutes. Rotate the pans halfway through baking.

from The Cooks Illustrated Cookbook

17 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Muffins”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 22, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Such a classic muffin. Yours look delicious!

Choc Chip Uru — January 22, 2012 @ 11:52 pm

I love how everything came out so perfectly in your muffins – smooth muffin tops and loads of chocolate chips :)
    I’ll let you in on a secret – when I have made choc chip muffins in the past I have always added a hint of cinnamon – it accentuates the flavour do much :)

I adore your blog and l

Choc Chip Uru — January 22, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Sorry didnt finish!
    I was saying how I adore your blog and love to visit :P

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Nutella Baking Week

• megan replied: — January 23rd, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Thank you so much for your kind comment! And good suggestion on the cinnamon. :)

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — January 23, 2012 @ 8:51 am

Chocolate chip muffins have to be my favorite. They are simple yet tasty. These look amazing!

Cookbook Queen — January 23, 2012 @ 9:25 am

These are just beautiful, Megan!! We love chocolate chip muffins around here (chocolate beats blueberries any day!!).

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 23, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Chocolate Chip has to me my all time favorite muffin! I wish I had some in my freezer for breakfast this morning :(

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 23, 2012 @ 11:04 am

I used to adore chocolate chip muffins and for some reason haven’t had one in a long time. I’d love to make these as a nice little treat!

Katie — January 23, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

These look so good! I’m so glad I came across your blog! My husband loves muffins–I can always use more delicious looking recipes!

brandi — January 24, 2012 @ 9:09 am

i LOVE chocolate chip muffins! they’re tied with blueberry for my all time favorites.

Mindy — January 24, 2012 @ 10:54 am

These look delicious! And I bet the yogurt makes them super soft and light. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah — January 24, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Hi Megan! The girls helped me make these and they turned out really well, less sweet tasting than I expected. We only had vanilla yogurt, so they tasted a lot like chocolate chip cookies. I think your recipe is missing how much salt to add though.

• megan replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 6:32 am

Thanks for catching that about the salt Sarah! Sorry, I just fixed it. :) I’m glad you liked the muffins, even if you had to guess at the salt content. Thanks for the comment, it’s so good to hear from you! I hope you guys are doing well. :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — January 25, 2012 @ 9:38 am

delicious! muffins are the best!

Eliana — January 26, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Love how simple these beauties are to make. And they certainly look super delicious.

Erin — January 27, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Those muffins look perfect! I love chocolate chip muffins so much!

Joanne McGowan — January 22, 2013 @ 10:09 am

I made these yesterday. They made way more than 18 muffins. I got 26 and I filled the muffin tins up. They went over the muffin. Next time I will cut the recipe in half.