Pretzel Rolls

Pretzel Rolls

As soon as I tasted these pretzel rolls (warm out of the oven of course!), I was left wondering why in the world I had waited so long to make them. My friend Katie, who has given me lots of good recipes already, told me about these awhile ago, and yet I waited months before making them. Please don’t make the same mistake I did, because these are good!

They are actually quicker to make than most breads. There isn’t a lengthy rise time, and yet somehow they end up light and fluffy.  They have a traditional pretzel taste, and the coarse salt on top makes them look quite authentic. These are great on their own or eaten with a steaming bowl of soup. I also think they would make great sandwich rolls. I want to make them slightly smaller and try them out as slider rolls! I think that would be so cute for a Superbowl party idea. No matter what you make them for, I’m sure you’ll love them. And good luck not devouring them as soon as they come out of the oven! :)

Pretzel Rolls

Pretzel Rolls

Pretzel Rolls

Yield: 12 rolls

1 1/3 cups warm water
2 tablespoons warm milk
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter , melted
4 cups all-purpose flour
kosher salt or pretzel salt
2 quarts cold water
1/2 cup baking soda

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 1/3 cup of the warm water with the yeast and let stand until foamy. Add the remaining cup of warm water along with the milk, sugar & melted butter and swirl to dissolve the sugar. Add flour and mix on med-low speed until it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball.

Separate the dough into 12 equal pieces. Cover dough with plastic wrap and a damp towel and let sit for 10 minutes. Form the dough into rolls and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let the rolls rest for 30 minutes. In the meaintime, preheat the oven to 425° and lightly oil 2 baking sheets.

In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a rolling boil and add the baking soda. Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds, turning once. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the prepared baking sheet, being careful to let the excess water drain off into the pot. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining rolls.

Bake the rolls on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, shifting the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Let rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

from Food.com

24 Responses to “Pretzel Rolls”

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — January 31, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

Pretzel rolls have been on my to-make list for a long time. These look fantastic, and a little less complicated than some other varieties!

Eliana — January 31, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

I have never tried a pretzel roll before but they look like something I should definitely not miss out on. Thanks for sharing Megan.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — January 31, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Pretzel rolls are the bomb! I made some almost a year ago and fell in love! I have no idea why I haven’t made them again, though. Thanks for reminding me!

Bel @ Ooh Look — February 1, 2012 @ 5:32 am

These look incredibly cute, and great idea to use them as slider rolls. I have a craving for a salty pretzel roll right now!

Simply Life — February 1, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Just “pinned” this- hope to try it soon! I make pretzel rolls and I’ve never seen my husband devour veggie burgers so quickly with them!

Tracy Wood — February 1, 2012 @ 10:40 am

These look fantastic!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — February 1, 2012 @ 11:10 am

These have been on my list for way too long! Guess I need to get into the kitchen and make them right away! Yours look wonderful!

Liz Gossner — February 1, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

These look great! That’s awesome that Katie gave you this recipe! (Not surprised though since she’s a pretzel fanatic!) Your blog is terrific and you seem like you have so much fun with it! I’m looking forward to more of your fun and delicious creations :)

Margarita — February 1, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

Pretzel bread… they look so good! I like that they only have to sit for 10 minutes! :)

Jennifer - The Kamikaze Shopper — February 3, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Its really great you posted this as last week was my first attempt at bread making and I have been a little addicted to it since and have been experimenting with different recipes. There is nothing better then the taste of warm pretzel. Would this recipe translate well to a bread machine on ‘dough’ setting?
    Jennifer

• megan replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 8:47 am

I’m guessing you could do it in a bread machine, but I’ve never tried. I’m not really familiar with bread machines at all, but it would be worth the experiment for sure! :)

Javelin Warrior — February 3, 2012 @ 10:03 am

These pretzel rolls are stunning! I didn’t even know it was possible to create something like this (silly me) and I love that they’re homemade. I have featured your post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks for the inspiration…

• megan replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 8:46 am

No objections, thanks for featuring me! :)

ButterYum — February 3, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

I featured these on my blog not long ago, and the kids have been bugging me to make them again ever since. They were soooooo good!

ButterYum

Sarah — February 18, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Megan, I love making rolls for my husband and I. I love making bread in general and my only real problem is making the actual roll shape. Mine always look a little too homemade. How do you shape your rolls?

Thanks!
    Sarah

• megan replied: — February 19th, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I generally just take a lump of dough and kind of pull down from the top with my fingers so that the dough is smooth on top and then I just kind of bunch the dough that I just pulled on the bottom, underneath the roll. I realize as I type this that what I just wrote is very confusing and probably doesn’t make any sense haha. Maybe I should do a little video?? In the meantime, try this one from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe – Melanie is a roll making expert! http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/12/tutorial-shaping-perfect-rolls.html

Arielle — February 21, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

I love these rolls, just made them! When I boiled mine they lost all their pretty roundness though :( It came back somewhat when I baked them but looked nowhere near as gorgeous as yours. Secret??
    Arielle

• megan replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 6:13 am

Mine lost their roundness when I boiled them too. I was actually surprised when they baked up as round and pretty as they did, so I’m not much help. I think I’m going to do a video tutorial on shaping rolls that may help out a little too. My only suggestion is to handle them as gently as you can while boiling, trying to keep them as round as possible. Sorry I’m not more help!

Shelley — April 14, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

These look so good!!! I don’t have a stand mixer though….has anyone made these without one? :D

Sarah Palik — April 14, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

Trying these now with wheat flour… I’ll let you know.

Heather Jones — July 24, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

These are so delicious! I have made them 2x, and my daughter is asking me to make them again today. Not complicated though of course with any bread product it takes some time. Thank you Megan!

• megan replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

So glad you like them! :)

Etty Barus — April 22, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Interesting…look yumm…thanks Megan for sharing the recioe, I would to make it :)

Superbowl Food & Cocktail Ideas | making it with danielle — January 27, 2014 @ 9:56 pm

[...] credits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & [...]