Asparagus and Cheese Tart

Asparagus and Cheese Tart

I’ve got another asparagus recipe for you! I can’t believe I spent so many years not eating asparagus before I realized how good it is – now I’m obsessed! And this asparagus and cheese tart is definitely a fun way to eat it. This is a great recipe for people who aren’t sure how they feel about asparagus. In the asparagus salad recipe I posted recently, asparagus is the star of the show, but in this recipe, I’m pretty sure the cheese is the star! The warm, melty cheese is delicious, and goes really well with the light and flaky crust, and of course the asparagus on top.  I was really happy with how this turned out – it looked impressive and tasted even better. Mike actually liked this recipe even more than I did, which was a pleasant surprise. Normally the veggie heavy recipes aren’t really his favorite. I’m guessing the cheesy puff pastry made a big difference. :)

Asparagus and Cheese Tart

Asparagus and Cheese Tart

1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 sheet frozen puffed pastry, thawed
1 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp minced shallot
2 large egg yolks
3 Tbsp whole milk
1/8 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon zest

Pre-heat the oven to 450.

Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large skillet. Add the asparagus; cook until bright green and crisp-tender, 2-5 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and pat dry.

Roll out the puff pastry into a 10x16 inch rectangle on a floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Bake until light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet.

Meanwhile, mix the fontina, parmesan, shallot, egg yolks, milk, nutmeg and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the puff pastry, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Arrange the asparagus on the tart and bake until the cheese mixture is slightly puffy, 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with the lemon zest. Serve warm or at room temperature.

from Food Network Magazine, April 2012

7 Responses to “Asparagus and Cheese Tart”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 13, 2012 @ 6:55 am

Yum! This sounds awesome!

Rachel Cooks — June 13, 2012 @ 7:59 am

This looks so good! I have a box of puff pastry I need to use…. :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — June 13, 2012 @ 9:30 am

looks delicious! too bad i’m married to an asparagus hater. :)

Diane Z. — June 14, 2012 @ 1:04 am

Wow! I had my 83 year old dad over for dinner tonight & made this. Easy, yummy, and he liked it so well that he took seconds! Thanks for blogging this. :-)

• megan replied: — June 14th, 2012 @ 6:44 am

So glad you (and your dad) liked this! :)

Graig Rudolf — April 20, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

Asparagus has been used as a vegetable and medicine, owing to its delicate flavour, diuretic properties, and more. It is pictured as an offering on an Egyptian frieze dating to 3000 BC. Still in ancient times, it was known in Syria and in Spain. Greeks and Romans ate it fresh when in season and dried the vegetable for use in winter; Romans would even freeze it high in the Alps, for the Feast of Epicurus. Emperor Augustus reserved the “Asparagus Fleet” for hauling the vegetable, and coined the expression “faster than cooking asparagus” for quick action.`

My current web portal

Veal Oscar | The Texan New Yorker — March 28, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

[...] Asparagus and Cheese Tart from What Megan’s Making Asparagus, Artichoke and Shiitake Risotto from Smitten Kitchen Baked Parmesan Asparagus “Fries” with Lemon Garlic Aioli from Simply Scratch Caramelized Leek and Asparagus Salad from Cupcakes and Kale Chips Egg, Country Ham, Asparagus and Leek Pizza from Farm Fresh Feasts Pesto Tortellini Salad with Asparagus from The Kitchen is my Playground Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus from Cooking on the Front Burner Roasted Asparagus with Bacon Vinaigrette from The Texan New Yorker [...]