Zucchini Fritters

Zucchini Fritters

This recipe for zucchini fritters is from a wonderful new cookbook I received called An Edible Mosaic. The cookbook was written by a fellow food blogger, Faith, and will be released at the beginning of November. I got the chance to receive an advance copy and share a few recipes from it with you. I’m joining a few blogger friends to host a “Mid-East Feast” – I think it will be a fun way to promote Faith’s cookbook, and there will be a giveaway at the end! :)

Mike and I both really liked these zucchini fritters. They are basically a savory pancake, and they’re full of flavor. Actually, I have a warning about that. I made these for breakfast before church on Sunday, and about halfway through church I realized that we both smelled like garlic from eating them! Our friends sitting in the pew behind us noticed us laughing about it, and when we explained the situation after church their response was “I wondered where the garlic smell was coming from!” So be careful when eating these. :) That being said, they tasted great were definitely worth the garlic smell afterwards. :)

Zucchini Fritters

Zucchini Fritters

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3/4 lb zucchini (about 1 medium), grated
2 large cloves garlic, crushed in a mortar and pestle with 1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
4 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
Pinch of black pepper
Canola oil, for frying

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the zucchini and cook until softened and the water has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook one minute more, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.

Lightly beat together the eggs, flour, parsley, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the zucchini mixture.

Add enough canola oil to a large nonstick skillet to lightly coat the bottom. Heat the oil over medium heat. Drop the batter into the hot pan using a small scoop (about 2 Tbsp of batter). Fry until set and golden on one side, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook until set and golden on the other side, about 1 minute.

Transfer the cooked fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil, and cook the remaining egg mixture the same way, adding more oil as necessary.

*Links are Amazon Affiliates

11 Responses to “Zucchini Fritters”

Cassie | Bake Your Day — October 15, 2012 @ 10:46 am

These look fabulous, Megan! I love the flavors!

Faith — October 15, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Thank you so much for participating in this event, Megan! It truly means the world to me. :)

That is too funny about the garlic! I know some people who love the taste of garlic but avoid it because it just comes right out their pores — my hubby is one of them (but that doesn’t stop him from eating copious amounts of it, lol!). I’m glad you enjoyed the fritters though…your photos are beautiful!

jonessa — October 15, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

these look wonderful and I will be making them this week. any idea on the nutritional content?

Thanks!!!!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 15, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

These look great! I always smell like garlic after eating it – it’s so weird how that happens!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — October 15, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

I love anything with zucchini, these look amazing!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 15, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

I can’t wait to whip mine up! They sound fantastic.

Anonymous — October 16, 2012 @ 9:23 am

Hi Megan, I want to make these tomorrow but don’t see when to add the eggs, flour and parsley. I keep re-reading to make sure I’m not missing something. Thanks!

• megan replied: — October 16th, 2012 @ 9:45 am

So sorry, I left a whole paragraph out of the recipe! It should be updated now. Thanks for letting me know, and sorry for any confusion,

Heather @girlichef — October 18, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Well, I’m a weirdo…I love the smell of garlic! I’d be busy trying to figure out who smelled like it so that I could make friends with them ;P . Your fritters turned out just gorgeous!

Cara — October 20, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Meg,
    These look fantastic. Do you have any approximation for how much grated zucchini it would be— 2 or 3 cups or something? I have a bunch of zucchini already grated and frozen. Guess I can always just get one more fresh medium one and see how much it makes!
    Thanks! Cara

Nutmeg Nanny » Zucchini Fritters {Mid-East Feast} — October 31, 2012 @ 11:13 am

[...] Joanne – Eats Well With Others Heather – Girlichef Natasha – Five Star Foodie Megan – What’s Megan Making Rachel – Baked by Rachel Appetizer, Main Course 18 comments » [...]