Creamy Christmas Mints

Creamy Christmas Mints

These creamy Christmas mints were certainly a pleasant surprise. I’d never heard of anything like them, and as I was making them I just wasn’t sure they were going to turn out as I hoped. I was afraid they would taste like cream cheese and nothing else. Thankfully, that couldn’t be further from the truth. The mints were sweet and creamy with just the right touch of peppermint. ┬áThe mint flavor was very refreshing, and I consider these little treats to be half candy, half after dinner mint. And the texture was perfect – they weren’t sticky, but they were still perfectly creamy. They would be great to set out in a little bowl with your Christmas cookies, and they would make cute little gifts if wrapped up in a nice tin or gift bag.

Creamy Christmas Mints

Creamy Christmas Mints

3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
red food coloring
4 to 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
about 1/4 cup granulated sugar

Beat the cream cheese until soft and fluffy, about two minutes. Blend in the mint and a few drops of red food coloring. Add the confectioners sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until it forms a stiff mixture. Form balls with about 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture. Roll in the granulated sugar and flatten with the tines of a fork. Store in the refrigerator.

12 Days of Christmas Treats 2012 from What Megan's Making

Want to see all 12 days of Christmas Treats? Click Here :)

25 Responses to “Creamy Christmas Mints”

Sue — December 2, 2012 @ 10:29 am

When Mike brought these to work the other day I called them Christmas in a little pink button. They are very good.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 2, 2012 @ 11:41 am

These sound like a great addition to a neighbor gift!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — December 2, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Oh goodness. They look heavenly! It’s kind of weird how that group of ingredients can come together to create something like that. Love it. :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 2, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

I love making homemade mints. We make them for showers, weddings, etc. I love the color you chose for these!

Charlotte — December 2, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

How long would you keep them in the fridge for? I would definitely try these!

• megan replied: — December 3rd, 2012 @ 6:26 am

I’m not positive, maybe a few weeks? As long as you would keep cream cheese I guess. I froze mine though, and they defrosted just fine :)

Sahar — December 3, 2012 @ 10:35 am

These look awesome! What would they taste like if I used vanilla extract instead of peppermint extract?

• megan replied: — December 3rd, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Well, they wouldn’t be mints anymore… They would probably just taste sweet and like vanilla.

vanillasugarblog — December 3, 2012 @ 11:23 am

these are so pretty and delicate looking.
    to pretty to eat, but you know I would devour them. lol

julie — December 3, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

I’ve got a little cream cheese in my frig – just might have to make these tonight after work :)

Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} — December 3, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

I love these at weddings! I made some for my own wedding and forgot to bring them and they were left sitting out all day. Bummer on that. But I’m going to print your recipe and make these for Christmas. I found out literally 2 days ago that my husbands late Grandmother used to make these every year for the holidays, and I’d like to start that tradition again for my husbands family. You’ve taken the work out of the hunt for a good recipe! Thanks Megan! :)

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 6:57 am

How fun! Good timing :) And so sad to completely forget them on your wedding day! Although it’s not like you had anything else on your mind, right? :)

Shauna — December 3, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

When you froze yours had you rolled them in sugar yet or did you do that after thawing them?

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 6:56 am

I rolled them in sugar, pressed them with a fork, and then froze them. I had them all in a container in the fridge, then just put the whole container in the freezer.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 3, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

Megan I loooooooooooooove these :)

sarah k @ the pajama chef — December 4, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

i so want to try these asap! i think i have all the ingredients at home. yum!!

Tessa — December 6, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

Cream cheese mints are a celebration staple in Nebraska. We have them at weddings, graduations, baptisms, etc. Love those things!! I never knew until recently that it was a Nebraska thing. Was wondering why several out of state weddings didn’t have these things! Glad you tried them!

Andrea — December 8, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

I used to make these every year with my mom at Christmas. I had completely forgotten about them. I will be making them again this year – starting tonight!

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog — December 9, 2012 @ 11:48 pm

A blast from the past! We used to make these for graduation parties cerca 1992. They are so delicious – thanks for the reminder!

Ashley — December 13, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

I would love to make these for Christmas presents only I’m not a fan of peppermint. Do you think mint would be just as good if I added green food coloring instead of red? And did I miss how many mints this recipe yields? Thanks for sharing! You’re a genius!

• megan replied: — December 14th, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Yes, I think they would turn out great. :) And this recipe makes a ton, maybe 7-8 dozen mints? I didn’t count, unfortunately, but I found a similar recipe that estimated around 8 dozen.

Ashley — December 13, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Oh! And also, if I didn’t add the food coloring, would they turn out white? Or cream colored? Sorry to post twice. I just don’t cook much and I’d like them to turn out right the first time…

• megan replied: — December 14th, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Yes, they would be white. I hope you like them! :)

Sarah — December 2, 2014 @ 4:26 pm

These are popular in Virginia for celebrations. My mouth is watering thinking about them. I guess I never thought to make them just for us, but why not? Let’s live a little!!

• megan replied: — December 3rd, 2014 @ 1:16 pm

Your comment made me laugh. :) And yes, make them just for yourself. They are perfect on a cookie tray next to more decadent treats. :)