Gingerbread Truffles

Gingerbread Truffles

It just wouldn’t be the 12 Days of Christmas treats if I didn’t post a truffle recipe. In the past I’ve posted oreo truffles, nutter butter truffles, and thin mint truffles. And now these gingerbread truffles just might be my favorite out of all of them! I’ve always loved the sweet and spicy flavor of gingerbread, and it turns out it’s even better in truffle form. The cream cheese cuts the sweetness a little bit, and white chocolate is the perfect coating for the outside. Not to mention, these gingerbread truffles look pretty cute with their crumb topping. If you’re a truffle fan, you’ve got to try this version – it was definitely a hit around here!

Gingerbread Truffles

Gingerbread Truffles

Yield: Makes about 24 truffles

1 box Gingersnap cookies (about 50 cookies)
1 8-ounce brick cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
white chocolate candy melts

Place the cookies, cinnamon and ginger in the food processor and process into crumbs. Reserve 1/4 cup cookie crumbs for decoration. Mix crushed cookies and softened cream cheese in a large bowl until completely combined (your hands work best for this). Roll into small balls. Melt white chocolate in the microwave, stirring until smooth. Using a toothpick, dip the gingerbread balls into the chocolate, letting the excess chocolate drip off. Set the truffles on waxed paper to harden. Drizzle the extra white chocolate over the truffle and sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs. Once completely dry, store truffles in the fridge.

12 Days of Christmas Treats 2012 from What Megan's Making

Want to see all 12 days of Christmas Treats? Click Here :)

26 Responses to “Gingerbread Truffles”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 4, 2012 @ 7:55 am

These are so perfect for December. Yum!

Ashley — December 4, 2012 @ 8:57 am

These look so good! I’m obsessed with gingerbread this year for some reason and truffles are always a good thing in my book : )

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 4, 2012 @ 9:54 am

I would be grabbing one every time I walked by!

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

Yes, I had that problem haha. Now they are in the freezer downstairs where it is harder to get to them… :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — December 4, 2012 @ 10:56 am

These must happen in my kitchen and belly

Janet — December 4, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

How long can these be stored in the fridge? Also do they need to be stored in a container in the fridge–thanks this recipe looks great!!!

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

I’m guessing you could keep these for a few weeks. As long as you would keep cream cheese at least. They freeze very well, though, and actually, I usually store mine in the freezer and just bring out a few at a time for cookie trays, etc. And yes, I store them in a sealed container or freezer bag.

Holly — December 4, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

Hi Megan. I love the sound of these! Is there any chance you could put the weight of the box of Ginger Snaps? Since I’m not in the US, I’m not able to get the exact brand. We do have similar cookies, but varying sizes of cookies and containers! It’s great when you put the weights so I can try to translate the recipe to what I have available here. I’m always disappointed when I can’t make some of the recipes due to not being able to get certain ingredients, Thanks for the great recipes and awesome photos. Holly

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Yes, definitely! I used a 14 oz bag of gingersnaps. Thanks for the reminder, I need to put weights more often.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — December 4, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

I love truffles for Christmas! This is an awesome and different idea!

Link Love: 12 Links We Just Had to Share! | Host The Toast Blog — December 4, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

[...] 10. Gingerbread Truffles from What Megan’s Making With the holidays just around the corner, these sweet treats will make great presents or additions to your next get-together’s dessert table (or to keep all for yourself… we won’t tell). [...]

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 4, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

These looks wonderful! I actually made a version of these too, I am sharing tomorrow. Love truffles this time of year!

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Great minds think alike! :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — December 4, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Mmm, I love gingerbread this time of year! I love the idea of gingerbread in truffle form!

Morgan — December 4, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

Host the Toast (http://blog.hostthetoast.com) just featured this recipe on the food, drink, and entertainment blog’s “Link Love” post! Great photos, recipe, and writing! These are perfect for holiday parties!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

-Morgan of Host the Toast

• megan replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

Thanks!! :)

Sheila — December 4, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

This is crazy talk! These look FABULOUS!!

Jen — December 4, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

These look delicious! I’ve made a variation in years past using gingerbread instead of gingersnaps, and it’s very tasty, but sometimes the consistency is a bit tough. I bet using cookies instead of gingerbread would help! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

• megan replied: — December 5th, 2012 @ 6:43 am

It seems like using gingerbread would make these more like cake balls. Also delicious I’m sure, but a different texture than these. If you try these, I hope you’ll let me know :)

lr — December 11, 2012 @ 12:20 am

Think these would survive a 3-hour bus ride?

• megan replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 6:16 am

Yes, they are very sturdy cookies. If you’re worried about them because of the cream cheese, maybe pack a little ice pack in with them or something. :)

Carol — December 27, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

LOVE the gingerbread insides, but the chocolate coating is a little too sweet for my family’s taste. Do you think they could be rolled in confectioners sugar or maybe a cinnamon/sugar combination, or would they not hold together properly?

• megan replied: — December 31st, 2012 @ 10:54 am

I think they would hold together fine, especially since they’re stored in the refrigerator. I think the confectioners’ sugar would be really pretty :)

Anna — December 9, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Thanks for sharing! About how many does this recipe yield?

• megan replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 10:43 am

It makes around 24 truffles.

custom made chocolates — June 19, 2014 @ 10:42 pm

Wonderful website. Lots of helpful information here.

I’m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And certainly, thanks to your effort!