Glazed Lemon Muffins

Glazed Lemon Muffins

I love trying new muffin recipes on Saturday mornings. Mike is a big fan of muffins, so he loves waking up to the smell of fresh muffins in the oven. (And yes, I definitely get up earlier than him on the weekend!) :) These lemon muffins were a recent Saturday morning experiment, and I’m happy to say they turned out very well. They’re a little more dense than I first expected, more like the texture of pound cake, but that certainly isn’t a deterrent. The lemon glaze on top soaks down through the warm muffins and keeps them nice and moist, and the lemon flavor is strong, but not too tart. These would be great as a sort of coffee cake, or as an afternoon snack. And of course they make a great Saturday morning breakfast. :)

Glazed Lemon Muffins

Glazed Lemon Muffins

Yield: Makes 12 muffins

zest of 1 lemon
1 cup granulated sugar
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Glaze
juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup sugar

Pre-heat oven to 350. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingertips until moist and fragrant. Add the butter and cream together the butter and sugar till thoroughly combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix the buttermilk with the lemon juice and set aside. In a separate bowl,Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.

Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a center muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, and poke them all over with a cake tester or toothpick.

For the glaze: Five minutes before the bread is done, whisk together the glaze ingredients, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and while the muffins are hot drizzle them gradually with the glaze, stopping periodically to allow it to soak in. Set the muffins aside and let them cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before removing them to cool compeltely on a cooling rack.

14 Responses to “Glazed Lemon Muffins”

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — February 13, 2013 @ 7:44 am

I love all things lemon! these are just so perfect looking, I think I could devour them in minutes!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — February 13, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

I love lemon anything, and if I can have it for breakfast, that’s perfect. I love that they are pound cake like – yum! :)

ashley - baker by nature — February 13, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

Oh these muffins are lovely! Love anything and everything lemon flavored.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — February 14, 2013 @ 9:28 am

These look like perfect breakfast muffins! I love lemon!

katie — February 14, 2013 @ 10:25 am

Oh I love making muffins too but I never can seem to get up early enough to make them freshly baked out the oven! I do have all the items on hand… might attempt this weekend!

Sonia the Mexigarian — February 14, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

love love LOVE anything with lemons!! And I do like poundcake. perhaps this will be a saturday morning treat :)

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 15, 2013 @ 12:28 am

Muffins are so perfect for busy mornings and I love lemon!

Whole Wheat Carrot Raisin Muffin Recipe | Barbara Bakes — February 15, 2013 @ 8:31 am

[...] Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins, Barbara Bakes Apple Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins, Barbara Bakes Glazed Lemon Muffins, What’s Megan Making Cranberry Orange Pecan Muffins, Life’s a Feast Blood Orange [...]

sarah k @ the pajama chef — February 15, 2013 @ 10:51 am

mmm, lemon is so refreshing! these sound great!

Stephanie — February 16, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

I doctored mine a bit, since I had no lemons, but some frozen blueberries and oranges/oj on hand. Amazing! I’ll have to pick up some lemons next time. I did notice that the oven temp wasn’t listed on the recipe. I went with 400, which took about 25 minutes, though that could absolutely be because of my oven.

• megan replied: — February 16th, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! And sorry about the oven temp – I just updated it and I had it at 350, but it sounds like 400 worked fine :)

JulieD — February 16, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

These look so perfect…I’m in love. It’s funny how I didn’t really like lemon flavors until I became an adult!

Sheila — February 18, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

I’m a huge muffin fan! And these look amazing. I make a similar muffin with blueberries in it! thanks for sharing your tasty treats!!!

Lou Varady — May 14, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Lemon oil may be used in aromatherapy. Researchers at The Ohio State University found that lemon oil aroma does not influence the human immune system, but may enhance mood.