Bugs Bunny Bars

These are my favorite chocolate chip bars. As a general rule, I think that chocolate chip cookies should remain as cookies, because somewhere in the transformation to cookie bars they become dry and somehow just don’t taste as good. That is not true of these. Somehow, even after completely cooling, they are still gooey and soft and wonderful.

Last week when Mike found out that he had to spend yet another week traveling, I said something like “I would make you cookies or something to take with you, but you get all your meals for free, so I guess you probably wouldn’t want anything.” To which Mike responded (in an excited tone of voice) “You would make me something??” When I asked him what he wanted, his only request was something that tasted good. I figured I could give it a shot. :) So I picked one of my favorites – Bugs Bunny Bars. I love these. It’s a good thing I sent them off with Mike, because I seriously can’t stop eating them. Even writing about them makes me want to make them again.

Bugs Bunny Bars
(printable recipe)

1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pkg. (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg. (12 oz.) semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (2 cups)

Heat oven to 375. Beat butter, sugars, pudding mix and vanilla in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour and baking soda, beating until well blended. Stir in chips. (Batter will be stiff.) Spread in greased 13 X 9 baking pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack cut into bars.

23 Responses to “Bugs Bunny Bars”

Every Gym's Nightmare — February 10, 2009 @ 3:33 am

i might need to invest in a food processor if it makes stuff like this!

Kelly Turner

Anonymous — December 24, 2009 @ 4:13 pm

Everyone loves these. I never want to give away the recipe cause they seem so simple. I've tried them with butterscotch chips and butterscotch pudding and they were a bit too sweet. The best combination I've found is chocolate chips and vanilla pudding.

Mom — December 24, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

This is one of the best recipe finds I have ever made. These cookies are not really like chocolate chip cookies. They are a lot moister and richer. I always get asked for the recipe when I take them somewhere.

Michelle — December 24, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

Everyone loved these…will defintely make again!!!

learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood — January 29, 2010 @ 1:29 am

My mom makes her chocolate chip cookies like this and I absolutely love them and all of our family friend drool over them whenever they come around!! I might have to try them in Bar form now!! :)

megan — January 29, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Michelle – so glad you liked these! Thanks for stopping back to let me know :)

learningtocook… – I never thought to make these as actual cookies instead of in bar form – i'll have to try that! let me know if you try them this way – we love them!

cindy — February 3, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Looks interesting, just might give them a try!

Mary — April 8, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

My kids want to know how these bars got the name "bugs bunny"?
    Thanks for recipe- it was very good!

megan — April 12, 2010 @ 2:54 am

Mary – So glad you liked them! I'm not sure how they got their name…that's what we've always called them. I think maybe they came from an old cartoon character recipe booklet?

heather — December 8, 2011 @ 1:52 am

I made this tonite for first time. Yum. Yum. Yum.

• megan replied: — December 8th, 2011 @ 6:28 am

I’m so glad you liked them! :)

Brittany — January 22, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

This has to be by far my favorite or, at the very least, most used recipe from your site. I’m surprised I haven’t memorized it yet! Everyone loves them, they are so moist and perfectly sweet. I honestly haven’t even made regular chocolate chip cookies since making these.

• megan replied: — January 23rd, 2012 @ 7:14 am

I’m so glad you like these! I agree that they are one of our favorites – thanks so much for your comment :)

Steph — July 23, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

I think that they could use some salt they aren’t the best bars I have ever made

• megan replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 6:33 am

Sorry you didn’t like them! Thanks for the feedback though.

Crystal — September 21, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

YAHHH! I have been searching for this recipe forEVER! When I was a kid there was this little paper cookbook that was by Looney Toons and this was in it! Thank you SOOOO much!

• megan replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 6:54 am

Your comment seriously made my day! I called my mom and told her to read it haha. We totally had that old loony toons paper book, and I think my mom even has a few pages out of it still. I’ve never met anyone else who has ever heard of it! I’m so glad you commented to let me know :)

Maggie — February 1, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

I thought it was going to have carrots in the recipe to have that name ‘Bugs Bunny Bars” lol…I thought aha! Something I can sneak by my vegetable hating kids, but these look yummy and will have to try them. I usually use a chocolate chip cookie recipe with pudding mix in it and I love the results!

• megan replied: — February 2nd, 2013 @ 9:15 am

haha yeah, I really need to re-name these. And unfortunately, nothing healthy about them! I hope you like them though :)

Natasha — June 5, 2013 @ 7:01 am

I was just telling a friend yesterday how I found a recipe for bugs bunny bars when I was a teenager in one of those summer recipe magazines. I used to make it like crazy and loved it but I lost the recipe years ago. I am hoping this is the same recipe. Thank you so much for bring back a part of my childhood.

Annon — February 28, 2014 @ 11:07 pm

These were good I made them to the “t”. Next time I would add salt. Thanks.

Harmony Paige — March 14, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

These are delicious! Ive never heard of using pudding in cookies or bars but man it just adds something super special! They really have a wonderful texture, I used 1/2 tsp of salt due to others suggestions, and well, I like my sweets kinda salty. Other chocolate chip bars call for a full tsp but since these didnt call for it, I decided to try 1/2 & its perfect! Also, this didnt really change much I dont think but all I had was vanilla sugar I had made up a few weeks ago with a couple leftover vanilla bean pods. Thanks for this great recipe! I think I remeremember that book vaguely!

Vinny Rabbit — May 8, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

Big hit, thank you. I piped frosting on them and topped with sprinkles.