Thick and Chewy M&M Cookie Bars
These cookie bars are soft, chewy, and chock full of M&M’s!
If you’ve been reading for any length of time, you are probably aware of my love for cookies and bars that are thick and chewy. No thin and crispy cookies for our family – the thicker and chewier the better! These thick and chewy M&M cookie bars have the perfect texture – in face they just might be absolute perfection in bar cookie form.
These M&M bars are basically like chocolate chip cookie bars, but with M&M’s instead of chocolate chips. You could totally substitute chocolate chips for the M&M’s if that’s more your style, but I like the extra crunch and fun colors that the M&M’s provide.
This recipe is perfect for kids, or for pot lucks, or for pretty much anytime you want something sweet to eat. I also like using holiday M&M’s to customize the cookies for different occasions. Easy and festive!
I love to make bar cookies because they are so quick and easy compared to regular cookies. You actually don’t even need a mixer for this recipe! Just use a bowl and wooden spoon to mix up the dough, spread in the pan, and bake! Plus these cookie bars almost turn out much softer and chewier than their regular cookie counterparts.
These cookies are nice and soft, and of course there are lots of M&M’s sprinkled throughout! I love that half the M&M’s are mixed into the batter, and half are pressed into the top to make sure these bars turn out nice and pretty.
I made these for some friends who stayed with us last weekend, and they were gone by the end of the weekend. (*Update: Since writing this post I’ve made these cookie bars countless times and they are always a huge hit!) These M&M cookie bars are definitely a treat you can’t turn down!
*Note: You could also replace with M&M’s with other types of candy. I want to try these with Reese’s Pieces – yum!!
*Note: I baked mine in a 9×9 pan because it was what I had available. However, I do think a 9×13 pan works better. If you use a 9×13 pan (as written), yours will not be quite as thick.
Thick and Chewy M&M Cookie Bars
Yield: 1 9x13 pan
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
These cookies are soft, chewy, and chock full of M&M's!
- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 12 Tbsp butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 12oz bag M&M's, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugars until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix.
- Fold in 1 cup of M&M's and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Sprinkle remaining M&M's on top and press in slightly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely before cutting.