Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins

You had to know it would be coming. I mean, I’ve made apple bread, apple streusel bread, pumpkin bread, pumpkin gingerbread, etc. It was only a matter of time before I combined my two favorite Fall baking staples (apples and pumpkin) into one amazing muffin. These pumpkin apple streusel muffins offer the best of both worlds. They are moist and tender from the pumpkin, and they’re full of chopped apples. Tying both flavors together is a generous amount of cinnamon and nutmeg. In short, they taste great. Mike loved them, and so did everyone I shared them with. These are a must-make for Fall – pumpkin and apple together is a great combination. :)

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 cup (9 1/2 oz) canned pumpkin
1 Tbsp apple juice concentrate (or boiled cider)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped apples

Streusel
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus enough more to make it crumbly
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, apple juice concentrate, and oil. Add to the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in the apples. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup 3/4 full.

For the streusel: In a small bowl combine the ingredients and mix with your fingers until crumbly. You may have to add a little extra flour to make it workable. Mine was still too soft to crumble very well, but I did the best I could without adding too much flour. After baking, you won't be able to tell. :)

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a center muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

from the King Arthur Flour Baking Sheet, Autumn 2012

15 Responses to “Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins”

Blog is the New Black — October 29, 2012 @ 8:09 am

These look great!!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — October 29, 2012 @ 11:04 am

I love the combination of pumpkin and apples too! I recently made pumpkin apple bread with cinnamon butter and it was to die for Megan! You were so cute on the news! You’re a superstar :)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — October 29, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

This are ridiculous!!! (In the most perfect way of course!!)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — October 29, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

I just bought another can of pumpkin and some apples today! Might have to try these this week!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — October 29, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

I love apples & pumpkin together & with this streusel topping… yum-o!

Julie Chicklitasaurus — October 29, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

Also my two favorite fall items! Looks deee-lish. Will try it this weekend! xo

Julie A — October 30, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I made these for my son to give out at taekwondo for his birthday yesterday everyone who thanked me said they were the best muffin they’ve had! Lots of raving going on!! (Even if I did mess up the streusel part). Thanks! This is now going into the “tried and true” recipe box!!

• megan replied: — October 31st, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Thanks for the comment, I’m so glad you liked them! :)

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama — October 30, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

These look delicious! Love the topping!

rita in mi — October 31, 2012 @ 8:20 am

I just made these last night, and enjoying one for breakfast now. Perfect for Fall!

• megan replied: — October 31st, 2012 @ 8:37 am

So glad you liked them! :)

Lubna Karim — October 31, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

Love the combination of pumpkin and apple….muffins look gorgeous and yum….

sarah k @ the pajama chef — November 2, 2012 @ 10:39 am

oooh, these muffins are so perfect!

Pumpkin Apple Muffins | — November 5, 2012 @ 7:56 am

[...] possibly the best muffins I have ever made.  The idea of combining apple and pumpkin came from Megan’s post.  Muffins are really great for the kids’ snacks and for lunch boxes so I almost always have [...]

Danielle S — November 29, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

I was wondering how much of a pumpkin flavor they had? I might have to try these this weekend and share with my friend.