Day 5 of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats! You are going to love these turtle biscotti.
I love to try different biscotti recipes around Christmas time, and haven’t been disappointed yet! At the end of the evening, once Zeke is in bed, I love to make a cup of tea or hot chocolate, thaw a biscotti from the freezer, and relax. One of life’s simple pleasures. Plus, as I’ve mentioned previously, when we’re visiting my parents for Christmas, my mom and I always eat biscotti as a little Christmas morning snack before the festivities start.
All that to say, I love biscotti, and I’m pretty sure you will love this chocolate, caramel and pecan version!
The cookies are baked with little caramel bits right in the batter, and then topped with a chocolate drizzle, pecans, and then a little extra caramel for an added turtle effect. They turned out nice and crunchy, and were absolutely perfect when dipped in a hot beverage.
*See all 12 days of Christmas Treats from 2014 here!
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup Kraft caramel bits
- 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well mixed. Stir in flour and baking powder. Fold in caramel bits and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Batter will be very sticky.
- Divide dough in half, form each half in a 10 inch by 3 inch log the prepared baking sheet. (I put a little flour on my hands which helped a lot). Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on pan 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch slices. Arrange slices upright back on the baking sheet. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- When cool, drizzle melted dark chocolate on one side of the biscotti and sprinkle with remaining cup of chopped pecans. Allow to set. Enjoy.
*Note: For a little extra "turtle" look, I melted some extra caramel bits in the microwave with a little bit of water and drizzled it on top of the biscotti.
from Shugary Sweets"