Zeke’s Adoption Day

Picture with the Judge

Ever since I first shared that we were hoping to adopt, to when I wrote all about bringing Zeke home from the hospital, I have received so many emails, comments, and notes of encouragement. Thank you so much for all of your support over the past year. I’ve gotten quite a few emails asking how we’re doing, where the adoption process is at, etc, so I thought I would write a little follow up post now that the adoption is officially finalized.

That’s right – we went to court last Tuesday, the 19th, and now we are officially Zeke’s parents! It seems crazy that it took almost 9 months, but we are so glad that it’s finally official. And we have the certificate of adoption to prove it. :)

Adoption Certificate

I didn’t think I would be nervous about our court date, but as the day got closer, I started getting some butterflies. Especially once I found out the judge would actually ask us to say something – my worst nightmare haha. I’m pretty sure what I ended up saying sounded like nonsense. Mike did much better getting the point across that we love Zeke and are so happy to have him. :) Plenty of family showed up for support, which was great, and we took a little time afterwards for a mini photo shoot with everyone. Zeke was pretty overwhelmed and serious throughout the whole thing – good thing he’s cute even when he’s not smiling. :)

Court Date

It ended up being really cool to go through the whole court process. It was so fun to hear the judge tell us that we were officially Zeke’s parents. We got to go up and take a picture with the judge and he even gave Zeke a teddy bear, which I’m sure will be special memento of the day. Zeke loved the teddy bear, but didn’t trust the judge or his facial hair one bit. ;)

Nervous about the judge

Getting his teddy bear

with his teddy bear

Everyone came back to our house where we had a big family dinner to celebrate. Unfortunately Zeke went to bed about halfway through the party and missed his celebratory cake.  We all enjoyed it for him though. ;) All in all it was a very fun day, one I’m sure we’ll look back on happily. And now we finally, officially have a son. :)

Our Family

57 Responses to “Zeke’s Adoption Day”

Laura — November 25, 2013 @ 7:28 am

Yay!!! Congratulations!! I know that you two are so thrilled to have Zeke (as is the rest of the family). Zeke is certainly blessed to have you two as parents also. :)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

Thanks Laura – I’m pretty sure Zeke is pretty thrilled to have such a great aunt too ;)

Keith Watkins — November 25, 2013 @ 8:32 am

What a blessing! Congratulations.

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

Thanks Keith – it’s so good to hear from you! :)

Amanda — November 25, 2013 @ 8:57 am

Congratulations to all of you! Thank you for sharing your story too. It’s wonderful to hear such happy news.

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

Thanks so much :)

Julie @ Texan New Yorker — November 25, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Congratulations!!!!! He is so adorable! What a great story you have, thanks for sharing! And what a great gift to get right before the holidays. :)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

Thank you!

Rachel Cooks — November 25, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Such an answer to prayers. I’m so happy for you and Mike. xo

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

Thanks, and yes, it truly is an answer to prayers :)

Michelle — November 25, 2013 @ 9:37 am

Congratulations!!! I have been following your blog for a couple years now and love all your recipes but hearing that you were adopting, then when you brought your little guy home was sweeter than any recipe! I have two boys both through adoption, a 7 year old and a little one that will turn 1 on Thanksgiving Day wow nothing to be more thankful for than that! Actually Thanksgiving is very special to our family as we brought Owen home who we adopted internationally on 11.24 and Theo was born on 11.28 so we celebrate Thanksgiving for weeks at a time. Anyway this is a very long comment that you probably could care less about but I do understand how your beautiful family came to be and could not be happier for you!!!!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Thank you! And of course I care about your comment – I love hearing stores from other people who have adopted. Sounds like you have a pretty special Thanksgiving – how fun! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 25, 2013 @ 9:42 am

Congratulations! I couldn’t be happier for you. What a blessing!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

Thanks Jen!!

Emma — November 25, 2013 @ 10:22 am

I definitely teared up while reading this! Congrats to you and your family!!

P.S. I read this blog post after just completing your peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, it is delicious!!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

Thank you!! And I’m glad you like the cookies – those are some of my favorites :)

Glenda Giguere — November 25, 2013 @ 10:30 am

Congrats Megan to you and your family. We have two extra holidays in our house each year — Happy Adoption Day in Feb for Daughter #1 and Happy Adoption Day #2 in August for Daughter #2.

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

Thank you, and how fun to have two extra holidays :)

Jennifer — November 25, 2013 @ 10:35 am

So very happy for all of you, congratulations!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

Thank you!

Melissa — November 25, 2013 @ 10:36 am

I just want to tell you congratulations! Also, I want you to know that you and your blog have been such an inspiration to me. You’re one of the reasons that I got into baking (with your delicious chai cupcake recipe) and I always check here first for new recipes to test out. My husband and I have also been planning to adopt, and I’m so happy to hear that the process is not as frightening as it seems from the outside. Congrats again, and have a very Merry Christmas!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

Thank you! Your comment just made my night. I’m so glad you are enjoying baking, and I always love hearing about people who are adopting! Feel free to email if you have any questions or just want to talk adoption :)

Silverilex — November 25, 2013 @ 11:11 am

So happy for you! Blessings to your lovely little family. :-)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

thank you!

Kelli Dutton — November 25, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

So happy for the three of you!! What a special Thanksgiving this will be! Prayers for continued blessings on your family☺️

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

Thanks Kelli – so good to hear from you!!

Peggy — November 25, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

So very happy for you! What a cute family. :)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

Thanks, you are so sweet!

Julie — November 25, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

Congratulations!! I’m so happy for you all :)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

thanks Julie! :)

Stephanie Hanson — November 25, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

This is just fantastic news!! Congratulations :-)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

sarah k @ the pajama chef — November 25, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

congratulations! so excited for you!!!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

Thanks!!

Charlotte Moore — November 25, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

I didn’t realize it was not final until last week. I know your family are very excited.

Thanks for sharing with us all.

GOD BLESS!!!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

Thank you! :)

Mindy — November 25, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

How blessed all of you are to have each other! And such a nice time right before Thanksgiving – lots to celebrate this year!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

yes, that is for sure! Thanks for the kind comment :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — November 25, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Aww!! Congrats!!! That’s such amazing news :)

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Thanks! :)

Joanne — November 25, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

Your baby boy is such a blessing, and you and your husband will have
    many years of joy with him! Happy Thanksgiving!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Thank you!!

Julia — November 25, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

Congrats!! What an amazing Thanksgiving gift. You have so much to be thankful for!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Yes, this year will be a special Thanksgiving :)

Karen Koval — November 25, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

Your pictures and blog post just makes me feel so happy inside. He is one very lucky little guy. Brest wished to you all (and keep on posting those pictures. I just love seeing how much he is changing).

Happy Thanksgiving!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:01 pm

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well :)

Sarah @ a Brick House — November 25, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

Hooray! We are so excited for you guys and I’m glad you posted pictures :) That teddy bear is as big as he is!

• megan replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

Ha, I know, right? He loves it. He likes to crawl over to it and lay his head on it, it’s the sweetest thing!

Megan — November 26, 2013 @ 8:21 am

Congratulations! So very happy for you. And let me say….Zeke…oh those cheeks! What a cutie pie! Best wishes for your family Megan.

• megan replied: — November 26th, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Thank you so much! :)

megan — November 26, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

Congratulation, megan! Zeke is absolutely adorable!!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — November 26, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

This post just made my heart sing! There is so much to be thankful for in this whole process, but the best is that he’s officially a part of your family. Congratulations :) {ps – that teddy bear is awesome!}

Natalie M. — November 27, 2013 @ 9:03 am

Congratulations Megan & Mike! He’s absolutely adorable. Our baby is 5 months old, and this post just made me cry. Babies are such a blessing! :)

Allie — November 27, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Congratulations! I teared up reading through your story. We have a beautiful 19 month old boy and he is SO MUCH FUN. What a blessing – and I imagine a relief to have it all official!

Beth — November 29, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Megan,
    We are so excited for the precious addition to your family, Zeke. You are blessed. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures to remember this special day. So excited that our granddaughters will get to know Zeke.

Maggie — December 1, 2013 @ 1:48 am

Congratulations!! What a beautiful family :) I have been enjoying your blog for the last year and am so happy for you! Zeke is a lucky little boy!

Lisa — March 3, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

I just revisited this post because i remember how happy it made me! I love your blog…thank you for the wonderful recipes!